Juss wonderin' which of the two sounds better in your opinion... A glass or a metal slider and are all metal sliders practically the same or do they variate in quality?
Glass has a warm, round tone. Think Allman Brothers. Metal slides have a harsh, sharp sound. Think Johnny Winters. It all depends on what you want.

If you're going to use this slide on an acoustic guitar as well as an electric, the metal slide will have a weight advantage. It's hard to play acoustic with a light slide. I recommend that you not get a medicine bottle type slide to start with. It worked great for Duane but it can be uncomfortable and unwieldy for a beginner.

As for me, I like to use brass for acoustic slide work but I prefer glass on electric.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
Glass has a warm, round tone. Think Allman Brothers. Metal slides have a harsh, sharp sound. Think Johnny Winters. It all depends on what you want.

If you're going to use this slide on an acoustic guitar as well as an electric, the metal slide will have a weight advantage. It's hard to play acoustic with a light slide. I recommend that you not get a medicine bottle type slide to start with. It worked great for Duane but it can be uncomfortable and unwieldy for a beginner.

As for me, I like to use brass for acoustic slide work but I prefer glass on electric.

Couldn't have said it better.

The only thing I would like to add is don't just limit yourself to glass and metal. They have different plastic slides, and even slides made out of bone.

I went to the guitar store and asked to try some of their slides. Usually if you go into a privately owned guitar store, they have used slides that you can borrow while your there to try.

Guitar Center sometimes will let you try them out. Take your time and experiment.