Hello Everyone at UG,

My name is Tyler and I am a freshman in college and decided that I needed a new hobby to take up some free time (it can get boring on campus once in a while ). I am 19 years old and a pre-pharmacy major. My roomate brought a bass guitar to school and I couldn't help but trying a guitar out. He let me borrow one of his electric guitars to begin and so I find myself here at UG looking for some tips and how to begin. Its a bit overwhelming but I think I am sorting things out well enough.

As for my music background... there is none.. I am looking to get an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I saw one of these and instantly thought that it looked like a good guitar for me (I have also been told this is a good beginner guitar); however, correct me if I am wrong.

Are there any suggestions on how to begin and even if this guitar may be one that for me?
consider taking an acoustic, they are Beautiful and good 4 starting out...
i was GONNA buy an electric till I saw my budget and a beautiful acoustic...
There no better way to know if a guitar is for you than to try it. But obviously, since you are just starting out, you can't really evaluate if the guitar is good. So I suggest to take one that as a style (color, shape, etc) that you like for a first guitar. As for suggestions on how to begin, learn some easy songs that you like, play everyday if possible, and check out some music and guitar website for lessons. You can also check on Youtube, it's a great place to find many videos about learning guitar.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
When i first started i learned on an epi LP Standard and i loved it, I still have it in fact but i've begun to embrace my acoustic side more and more lately. Anyhow, if you have the budget somewhere, find lessons, better yet if you can talk your financier into it find a beginners guitar class that you can get college credit hours for!
"Wow! he's a pale fella, I didn't realize he was gonna be so pale!" - Jim Gaffigan
the LP can be a good starter guitar...
but I prefer acoustics...
buy an acoustic, and later you can jump into electric, it's not that hard..
Thanks for the help guys. I would love to get a strat if I could find one for a good price. Where are some places sites I could look. I also am going to need everything to start so I thought about a starter pack. Any links would be helpful.
Quote by TBarnes8908
Thanks for the help guys. I would love to get a strat if I could find one for a good price. Where are some places sites I could look. I also am going to need everything to start so I thought about a starter pack. Any links would be helpful.

For that price you could get a MIM deluxe roadhouse strat or a deluxe lonestar if you want HSS pickup configuration and for an amp you could get a vox valvetronix ad15vt or used ad30vt which i both highly recommend.
The Epi LP Special II is a pretty bad guitar, actually. It's the lowest, cheapest LP-style guitar that Epiphone make.

Good beginner guitars I'd suggest would be:

Les Paul Style
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Vintage V100
- Rally GL 300
- Rally GL 400 (same as the GL 300, but costs a bit more and has gold hardware)

SG style
- Epiphone G-400
- Vintage VS6

Telecaster style
- Yamaha Pacifica series
- Squier Affinity Telecaster (make sure it's a brand new one made in the last year or so, they're made with better wood)
- Squier Vintage Modified Thinline (is a semi-hollow guitar, has a slightly different tone and feel than regular Telecasters)
- Vintage TC200

Stratocaster style
- Yamaha Pacifica series (by far the best cheap Strats you can buy, no reason to buy any others really...)
- Vintage V6
- Squier Affinity Stratocaster (make sure it's a brand new one made in the last year or so, they're made with better wood)

There are other body styles of course, but I think it's better for beginners to stick to one of the four most common styles.

Most of those guitars come in at just a couple of hundred, so they shouldn't break the bank and you should have enough left over to get a nice enough beginner amp.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I am looking at the Affinity teles and strats and they seem to be nice guitars for a beginner. Any other suggestions on beginner guitars? I can probably go anywhere up to $250 for just the guitar but I'll need an amp as well.