(before I begin I would like to state this is my first post, have patience, O intimidating posters)

Looking back at the mistakes I made in my youth, (about 8 months ago) I've realized that almost every amp on earth is better then the Marshall MG HDFX100 head/4x12 cab half-stack that I bought. I was taken in with the fancy sounding "fdd" circuit and foolishly thought that this "tone" thing that everyone talks about was just that, talk. Realization of my mistake set in when I practiced with my friend and his peavey valve-king.

My question is thus: What amp can I buy in this price range that'll will (obviously) sound better then what I have? All my equipment is of a much higher quality- Les Paul Studio, Boss DS-1, Crybaby Wah(fasel). I like playing rock - Jimi, Zepp, Wolfmother, Sabbath, etc. I also have softer side, the clean has got to be good.

My second and more important question is: how do I get rid of my current rig?
Peavey Windsor, Traynor YCV50Blue.

Used JCM 800.
your career is over...

SELL NOW! maybe u ll still get 50% back from it and buy a 5w tube amp that wont destroy your playing etc.
Sell it to some nub that's all like "zomgz i need a half stackzorz lulololulz and i'll be all koo and metalz!" for like $100 less than what you got it.
Traynor
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Look into Orange head. I love the sound coming from the Tiny Terror.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Peavey Classic 30, Traynor Bue, maybe an Orange or a used JCM800 depending on how lucky you are.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
sell the MG to a newbie... depending on how much you can get for it, you can than spend that on a new amp... even a Roland Microcube would be better than that...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Welcome to UG - jesusrocks.

So I don't remember exactly but I think you paid what for that halfstack? $600?

We need to establish your total budget. Do you have to sell the MG before buying again? Can we assume you will have $400 - $500? It will be tough to find a gig'able amp new in that range outside of the Valveking and maby Windsor. So you may have to look used. I also support the Classic30, Traynor and Orange already mentioned.

You can try to sell it on Craigslist. Look for other amps while you are there. Find your city, select Musical Instr in For Sale section, then type 'amp' in search bar. Don't try trade it back in where you bought it you will lose more money.

What major city do you live in? I don't think you need a halfstack either.
Your first post TS? Welcome.

I would recommend getting a smaller 1 channel valve for the moment, possibly a Tiny Terror, Blackheart Little Giant or even a zVex nano.
Quote by Diamond Dave
youve got a LP studio and you used to think tone was just talk?

Tone's in the fingers and the amp. Has little to do with the guitar above a certain point. But I think he meant that he realized the "good tone" of the Marshall with the "FDD" circuit was just all talk.

Anyway, TS. a 50w tube amp is more than plenty. Traynor YCV50, YCS50, and Randall RG50TC. And there are surely plenty of idjits on craigslist and eBay that will take that MG off your hands.

Welcome to UG and good luck.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Swap-Meet
You could get probably like 400-500 for your MG.

for blues / rock I'd suggest these.

Zep/Sabbath Filter:

Peavy Classic 30
Crate V-33 212 / V-50 112 XXXXX
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (more expensive...unless you go used) XXXXX

Layneys seem to be popular from people here, but I've never played one so i dunno..

el fixed. crate V's are not the answer to everything.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
el fixed. crate V's are not the answer to everything.

no but they do have quite a bluesy sounds to them, and with a DS-1 you can get a damn good rock / hard rock sound out of it...but the Peavy Classic 30 or the Fender Hot Rod would probably be best (dunno never really played around wit them too much..but from the little bit of time I've played around with them, they do sound really good)
Quote by Swap-Meet
no but they do have quite a bluesy sounds to them, and with a DS-1 you can get a damn good rock / hard rock sound out of it...but the Peavy Classic 30 or the Fender Hot Rod would probably be best (dunno never really played around wit them too much..but from the little bit of time I've played around with them, they do sound really good)

+1
the short while i had my v100h (see other thread) i loved the tone
but this guy probably wont need any more gain than what the overdrive gives

although
i used to own an mg30dfx and i didnt have a problem with it at all (except the OD)
but i used a boss mt2 with it though
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Welcome TS!

I would recommend either the Traynor or a Peavey Classic 30. The Crate V33 is decent, but I much prefered the V18 when I was trying out the V series stuff. The V33 seemed harsh and the controls function a little strangely depending on what channel you are using. The V18 was quite responsive and such. I kinda want one for S&G or for those jams when I don't wanna haul all my crap around
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
yeah, Jimi, Jimmy and Andy all use Marshalls. Not sure on Mainden but that is a good bet too. So focus on the Marshally sounding amps. Even the VK can do that - although it's not really voiced for it.

Also, I think I would just get a strait up OD pedal so worst case, factor in $50 for a Digitech Bad Monkey.

PS: Out of respect for Jimi - that's (he used Marshalls).
Welcome TS, you got a lot of great rec's here. Ideally the Traynor in goolz first post used would be around $450 depending on where you are and would be perfect for what you play. You really wouldn't go far off with anything else that's been recommended though. All good stuff.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
If your in the uk, I recommend a Laney VC30. Iommi uses laneys aswell. It has great cleans and a real nice medium gain overdrive. It can handle anything up to hard rock easily and with my tube screamer, anything is possible.
wow guys thanks for all the awesome replies, i'm very impressed i was expecting a week-long wait till anyone replied... awesome!
I should go into my situation a little more in depth - I live in olympia, washington, US, im more then willing to buy used and i need to sell my mg before I buy anything else. I would say my price range is about $500. Also, on a side note can someone give me ideas for arguing with my dad for my case (buying a better amp). He has no idea about amp technology and just assumes because mine is the biggest and was the cheapest that it's the best. back on track... I was wondering if I could just buy a nicer head? how much does the cabinet affect my tone overall? it's the standard 4x12 with celestions, I have no idea. I do kind of need some volume, i've only played in front of a crowd once but I fully intend on doing it again and more often.

You know what, there's a video of me and my friends playing at my schools pops concert- I like to think it perfectly illustrates how much the MG sucks - I'm being drowned out by the other guitarist(valve-king), the drums AND the bass. when you do hear it the tone somewhat resembles a harley-davidson and a jet colliding in a tin can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b847MUJ1Gow
washingtonians unite!
lol
i honestly think tubes are your answer to this
and possibly an eq pedal or get a blues drive boss pedal
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
Depends on what kind of music you want to play. If you want a rock tone, go for a Used JCM 2000 head. They will be in your price range. If you want a metal tone, go for a used 5150 head. Check out those spide valve amps aswell. Those have good tone.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by georgakis187
your career is over...

SELL NOW! maybe u ll still get 50% back from it and buy a 5w tube amp that wont destroy your playing etc.

xD i lol'd
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
1.Throw the MG in a ditch
2.Save
3.Buy a Valve Combo
5.PROFIT!
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by theoreticmusic
Tone's in the fingers and the amp. Has little to do with the guitar above a certain point. But I think he meant that he realized the "good tone" of the Marshall with the "FDD" circuit was just all talk.

Anyway, TS. a 50w tube amp is more than plenty. Traynor YCV50, YCS50, and Randall RG50TC. And there are surely plenty of idjits on craigslist and eBay that will take that MG off your hands.

Welcome to UG and good luck.

i agree, my post was trying to make a different point
Quote by HighPotency
Sell it to some nub that's all like "zomgz i need a half stackzorz lulololulz and i'll be all koo and metalz!" for like $100 less than what you got it.

Sounds a bit like me...
i was saved by discovering Valve amps!!! woooo!
Most people will tell you not to just change the head out, because the cabs are almost (not quite, but almost) as bad as the head. A new head would improve your tone, but it won't allow you to pull all of the potential out of the head. Its really undersized, and the wood is thin, so it'll give you poor bass response, and the speakers themselves are usually said to be rather crappy in and of themselves.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Well I came up short in Olympia Wa, but in nearby Seattle there is some win. Didn't find the Traynor.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/869200899.html H&K Edition, Asking $425 I own one, it's amazing, high gain, modern sound, great cleans.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/869093870.html AD50VT, $200 - great hybrid amp.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/868850119.html Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber DC-2 tube amp. $550
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/866911537.html AD60VTX $400 another great hybrid
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/864496759.html 1987 Marshall hybrid head? Artist 30, $400. Could be crap, I have not tried this amp but others may be familiar with it. You should try it and see what you think if it interests you. You would have to use your cab in the meantime or swap it out for a used 2x12 cab.

I hope you see what I'm getting at. There is great stuff out there all the time if you are able/willing to "move where the food is".
As far as your dad? Show him the amps I rec'd and their prices new. Let him see the general savings. Sorry for the long post, hope it was helpful. Cheers.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
thanks greg1020 for putting together a shopping list for me, and thanks Cutlass_253 for telling me about the cab... I had no idea. you and your fellow posters are amazing. I'll take a look at those amps you mentioned. I gotta say I'm glad I did this or I would end up going down the road of some other thread I read when I searched for MG series... some dude was arguing that the MG's "would give me a better pinch harmonic response" or some other bullplop along those lines.

On a last and related note, I need some advice on pedals. 311ZOSOVHJH recommended a digitech Bad Monkey, I've also heard good things about the Ibanez Tube Screamer. Even though I play mostly moldy oldies I sometimes like to go balls out and just play some Tool, Metallica, Buckethead (anybody remember the old Power Rangers theme song? lol.) Would a Metal Muff or Boss Metal Zone be any good or is there some other ones that I haven't heard of?

Once again thanks everyone for all your help.
cool so...

the Bad Monkey is kind of cheaper cloned version of the TS. Pretty simple. The pedal you chose kinda depends on the amp so maybe make that decision first. I haven't had a chance to look at Gregs picks but I'm sure they are all good. Generally, I would start with an Overdrive pedal like suggested to boost your amps normal clipping. Monkey, TS, Muff, and the Jeckyll and Hyde would be first picks imo over a Metal Zone for example.

But take someone else's suggestion too.
I feel so dirty... used-car salesman kind of dirty.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/msg/871935573.html

gregs, I looked at your suggestions and the mesa-boogie was already gone and I sent a message to the H&K seller and he is probably going to end up selling it before I can get a look at it. Haven't heard from the Marshall or the Vox yet. I'm wondering if I looked for used (any of the other amps that were recommended but you didn't find) ones at my music shop would that be a bad idea (price-wise)?
maybe try to find a used peavey vtm 1/2 stack. i may always seem like i'm trying to promote the gear i have, but the vtm really does do classic rock and stoner metal exceptionally well
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
If you looked at your music shop you'd probably get a bit less value for money, but if you find something that's within your price range and you like, grab it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales