I've been practicing guitar ever since December of last year. When I say "practice", I don't mean every single day. I have shown little improvement, which is understandable because I don't believe that I've practiced enough.

Anyways...

My hands are meaty. I don't know if my fingers are long or what, but I just can't space out my fingers like the guitarists such as Steve Vai, or the guitarists that I've seen on Youtube do. I feel like, if I can learn how to spread my fingers out, if it's possible, then playing guitar will be a lot easier for me.

Is there anyway that I can do this? Or are my hands/fingers just not worthy enough to play the guitar?
I think this is a problem all guitarists usually go through when they first start. I remember when I first started playing it was impossible for me to even stretch three or four frets. With practice though my hand and fingers became stronger, allowing me to stretch more.

My advice would be to play a bit more, don't kill yourself by practicing a ton, but get in a good couple hours a day or so and you should see improvement. Also a good tool to kind of build up hand strength would be a stress ball or something similar.
Yeah man, we all experience those problems. When I started playing, my fingers hurted, had some wounds and couldnt stretch them at all.

But after playing for 10 years already, its become really simple

So I'll advice the same.... just practice for a longer period, and the problems will fade away

Good luck, Alexey
i've only been playing since around april, and i try and play at least a little bit every day. in the small time i've been playing, i've noticed an improvement over when i first started in terms of skill (obviously), but in terms of finger strength and mobility as well....
'01 Lim. Ed. Epi Les Paul-"Marley"-Trans-Black Quilt Top
'02 Ibanez S 370DX-"Nowell"-Gray Metallic Meteorite
'05 Ibanez RG321MH-"Raider"-Metallic Silver
Fender Squire Strat-"Jerry"-black w/ black pickgaurd
80's Washburn Bass-"Red"-Red
Well, I don't know if I'm positioning my fingers the correct way. I play notes that feel comfortable for me, am I supposed to be experiencing pain in order to condition my fingers?
pain, no, if it actually hurts, stop. i just get start getting sore after a while when i have been pushing myself to learn more techniques, stretching my fingers a little more than i normally do... i've only been playing for a few months too, so i have a few stretching exercises i do also....
'01 Lim. Ed. Epi Les Paul-"Marley"-Trans-Black Quilt Top
'02 Ibanez S 370DX-"Nowell"-Gray Metallic Meteorite
'05 Ibanez RG321MH-"Raider"-Metallic Silver
Fender Squire Strat-"Jerry"-black w/ black pickgaurd
80's Washburn Bass-"Red"-Red
yeah, just practice more (and practice longer stretches). when i started guitar i'd already played piano for several years, so i had a headstart, but my fingers can stretch more now than they could when i started. in conclusion, just practice more- don't practice stretches which are ridiculous, just ones which are very slightly outside your comfort zone (but be careful not to hurt yourself, if it hurts, at all, stop!)... EDIT: do you have your thumb at the correct position round the back of the neck? if you put it flat (rather than wrapped round, as you do for bends) that can really help increase your stretching power, even without any more practice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had the same problem (slightly longer stretches since I play bass) But now it's gone. I'd still like to be able to stretch more (I have trouble stretching from 2 to 5 on my bass) but I'm fine now. One thing's for sure, my left hand no spreads MUCH farther than my right.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
i say that it would probably be a good idea to stretch your hands out before you play..

for example...

open you hand as far as it will go until you feel it stretching your hand out

and try pushing your fingers back with your other hand.

it stretches out your hand a little bit and helps get your hand to stretch.
Try placing your thumb in the middle of the neck (width-wise) and in line with your middle finger.

I think this is called the classical position.
Quote by AsRealAsTheyGet
I've been practicing guitar ever since December of last year. When I say "practice", I don't mean every single day. I have shown little improvement, which is understandable because I don't believe that I've practiced enough.

Anyways...

My hands are meaty. I don't know if my fingers are long or what, but I just can't space out my fingers like the guitarists such as Steve Vai, or the guitarists that I've seen on Youtube do. I feel like, if I can learn how to spread my fingers out, if it's possible, then playing guitar will be a lot easier for me.

Is there anyway that I can do this? Or are my hands/fingers just not worthy enough to play the guitar?

You're trying to run before you can walk, for the first year or so you should work on much more basic things than some of the stretch that shredders come up with. Learn some basic songs, basic theory, simple soloing techniques and make sure you have the fundamentals of playing down before you go trying anything crazy.

Also, your hands work so they can be used to play guitar, see Rick Renstrom for proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqgTdVuGrAQ
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.