Hey there bass forum

I've been looking for a 5 string for around US$600 for a while now. My un-local music store is having an end of the year sale and has put a bunch of basses on sale. Including this:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-NT-Warlock-5String-Bass?sku=512653

I'm wondering if anyone has played one and what their reactions were to it. If you weren't impressed or know of anything better for under $600 a recommendation would be really appreciated. I'd like to not have to make several trips to this place because it's 15 miles away.

Oh, and still on topic - why does B.C. Rich catch so much flak around here?
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by BeastlyBassist
Oh, and still on topic - why does B.C. Rich catch so much flak around here?

1. Body shapes that look more like comedy stage props than actual instruments
2. They're not much tone-wise

There are a few exceptions though, namely the Paolo signature.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by ozzyismetal
1. Body shapes that look more like comedy stage props than actual instruments
2. They're not much tone-wise

There are a few exceptions though, namely the Paolo signature.

I like the shape of it, maybe just because I'm a metalhead that likes pointy objects

I can't see how they'd be very bad tone-wise. Nato = about the tone as mahogany if what I've read in the depths of the internet is anything to go by. Plus the maple top for a touch of brightness? I dunno, never had a chance to play one and I can't find any on youtube for some reason
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Ibanez SR505 - Exotic Woods, Bartolini Pickups, Accu-Cast Bridge, Aboline Inlay
other SRs are also well equiped

Schecter C-5 - EMG Pickups, Sweet Body shape/Finish quality Hardware, body binding/inlays look sweet

Peavey Grind - Nice Woods, sturdy build, Neck through

Ibanez BTBs, EDB (ergodynes) and ESP LtD F-5, B-5 impress also

please dont buy that B.C. Rich they are toys at best

I play metal also all mentioned are under $600 and will do the job nicely but still wont let you look like a sissy...

G'd Luck
Last edited by HATe410 at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by HATe410

I play metal also all mentioned are under $600 and will do the job nicely but still wont let you look like a sissy...

G'd Luck

While your suggestions help a lot, you still haven't really told me anything as to why I shouldn't buy the warlock. I like the way it looks too so I don't mind "looking like a sissy" to some
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

The Warlock is just hard to take seriously, which means that other people will probably not take you seriously when you play it. That's the first reason that springs to mind.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
The Warlock is just hard to take seriously, which means that other people will probably not take you seriously when you play it. That's the first reason that springs to mind.

Well if people don't take me seriously based solely on what gear I'm using instead of how good I'm playing and what music I'm playing then I wouldn't really care what they think of me anyways.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

^BTW wasnt saying the Warlock would make you look like a sissy was just pointing out that the basses mentioned, though simple looking, still have metal appeal...

now why the warlock is not so hot...heavy body with a strap pin at the bass of the neck equals neck dive troubles, Dual P pickups limits versatility also theyre just bargain bin BCR (B.C.Rich) pickups other brands are offering Brand Neme Pups nowadays at less cost with far superios tonal options

A quilat maple top, but its painted black so the beauty of QM is wasted

A "no frills" bridge its a good size but its just a pull through bridge no new tech there...

mostly the "real" Richs are hand made and i hate to see people shell out more money nesscesary when they can get a better instrument for less
Last edited by HATe410 at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by BeastlyBassist
Well if people don't take me seriously based solely on what gear I'm using instead of how good I'm playing and what music I'm playing then I wouldn't really care what they think of me anyways.

Yea, you're right and I totally agree with you, but the fact you have to deal with is that it's going to happen and it it going to cause extra negativity to come your way, which is something you might as well avoid if you can. If you can buy a bass that sounds and looks just as good, if not better, and at the same time doesn't cause that extra flak to come your way, why not do it?

Plus, the Warlock's aren't that great, they're average in terms of sound and playability, and they're not particularly good value for money. I also find 95% of B.C. Rich guitars/basses to be quite tasteless too.

EDIT: Yea, the pickup thing is actually a good point as well. In most Ibanezes, even the mid-level stuff, you get bartolini pickups, and LTD basses get EMGs (not quite as good as the ones ESPs get but they're still EMGs). Both of those pickup brands are really good, definitely a lot better than the standard shop ones you'll get in the Warlocks. You'll also get better electronics and a better bridge if you get an Ibanez or an LTD, and they'll also probably be more sturdy in general.
Last edited by AVA_Plus44_182 at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by HATe410
^BTW wasnt saying the Warlock would make you look like a sissy was just pointing out that the basses mentioned, though simple looking, still have metal appeal...

now why the warlock is not so hot...heavy body with a strap pin at the bass of the neck equals neck dive troubles, Dual P pickups limits versatility also theyre just bargain bin BCR (B.C.Rich) pickups other brands are offering Brand Neme Pups nowadays at less cost with far superios tonal options

A quilat maple top, but its painted black so the beauty of QM is wasted

A "no frills" bridge its a good size but its just a pull through bridge no new tech there...

mostly the "real" Richs are hand made and i hate to see people shell out more money nesscesary when they can get a better instrument for less

Okay, I get what you're saying. I guess I'll swing by the shop anyways and check out the other stuff they have. Who knows, maybe I'll play it and love it.

As far as I can tell, these would be the others that I would consider:

The Schecter C-5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-5-5-String-Bass-513121-i1148007.gc

Schecter Stiletto Custom
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom-5-Bass-103123600-i1147948.gc

Ibanez SR505
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SR505-Bass-102552437-i1149777.gc

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the schecters is shape and the main difference between them and the ibanez is the 3-band EQ on the ibanez. Any bass wisdom / suggestions would be much appreciated
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

ou should also check out an Ibanez ATK, great bass and it's more aggressive sounding than the SR505
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
ATK is perfect for you. You like metal, and the tone is amazingly aggressive. Slipknot uses an ATK.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
You could most likely pick up a spector legend for that much. Or a schecter elite or studio. Look into them both.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Get a Schecter Stiletto Elite-5 i got mine for $599 so if your lucky you will be able to find one for that price at a guitar center. Best bass i've ever played almost rivals European Spector models for a huge fraction of the price.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Wow, the bass forum really does care!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've got em all on a sheet of paper here to go and check out at the shop.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Quote by HATe410
Ibanez SR505 - Exotic Woods, Bartolini Pickups, Accu-Cast Bridge, Aboline Inlay
other SRs are also well equiped

Schecter C-5 - EMG Pickups, Sweet Body shape/Finish quality Hardware, body binding/inlays look sweet

Peavey Grind - Nice Woods, sturdy build, Neck through

Ibanez BTBs, EDB (ergodynes) and ESP LtD F-5, B-5 impress also

G'd Luck

Schecter C 5 elite. you can always get it in a different color and it sounds amazing.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
i still think the mockingbird is the best shape B C rich has, and those basses are the shit
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Update: Well I got my new bass. I tried a bunch of em out and guess what I liked the best?

The B.C. Rich

I like the shape, the tone, even the placement of the strap buttons - even though they do cause the neck to dive a little bit, I'm used to that from my other bass. Plus they allow me to hold the bass at a higher angle without risking it coming loose.

Call me crazy, but I do love my warlock
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

^ you're really not dude. BC Rich has a lot more cred in metal circles, at least looks wise, than it does here. While I doubt the tone is that great, a bit of electronics modding can fix that. Later, when you save up some more money (this will probably cost about half as much as the actual bass, so that may be a while) get two of these and one of these

It will sound really really awesome.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Well done, its good you got what you liked best..

pics?

also good call on an EMG upgrade...

peace.
Quote by HATe410
Well done, its good you got what you liked best..

pics?

also good call on an EMG upgrade...

peace.

pics goin' up now

EDIT: Bah they're too big and I don't have time to shrink them. Tonight then
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Last edited by BeastlyBassist at Oct 8, 2008,
Quote by BeastlyBassist
I like the shape of it, maybe just because I'm a metalhead that likes pointy objects

If you were a real metalhead you would look into Ibanez ATK or Soundgear series.

><

To each his own I 'spose
Last edited by TormentedRx at Oct 8, 2008,
Quote by TormentedRx
If you were a real metalhead you would look into Ibanez ATK or Soundgear series.

><

To each his own I 'spose

... excuse me?

are you saying that just because I like the way a bass sounds and looks that I'm not a metalhead? GTFO

The fact of the matter is I didn't want the ATK because it only had 22 frets and I prefer a full octave. I also tried the soundgear and didn't like it as much.

Congrats on making a stupid and unfounded comment
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Quote by BeastlyBassist
... excuse me?

are you saying that just because I like the way a bass sounds and looks that I'm not a metalhead? GTFO

The fact of the matter is I didn't want the ATK because it only had 22 frets and I prefer a full octave. I also tried the soundgear and didn't like it as much.

Congrats on making a stupid and unfounded comment

+1 a "true" metalhead shouldn't judge other peoples choices, i believe metal is a kind of self expression, so people should respect other peoples opinions. plus i think the ATK looks stupid and the warlock looks badass lol. but good selection on your bass. also if you could put a demo of it on youtube thatd be awesome.
Quote by MetalBass 77
+1 a "true" metalhead shouldn't judge other peoples choices, i believe metal is a kind of self expression, so people should respect other peoples opinions. plus i think the ATK looks stupid and the warlock looks badass lol. but good selection on your bass. also if you could put a demo of it on youtube thatd be awesome.

I will as soon as I have some time

I've got Friday off so I think I'll do it then.

And yeah the ATK looks kinda silly, like it's trying to be a fender but then decided against it right before it was finished

Plus, like I said. I prefer a full 24 frets, if it had that I'd have looked a little more at it. Same reason I'll probably never own a fender jazz... Well, I'd probably overlook that for a fender jazz actually
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press