So, friday night I was practising at home with my Bygera, and when I was done I turned the standby back on, and was waiting a few seconds before I turned the power off as well. Anyways, I got distracted for a moment by the phone, and never got back to turning the power off on the amp. Unfortunately I did not realize this until about 4 pm on saturday, which means the amp was left in standby for like 14 hours or something crazy like that. Ever since I've been scared to turn it back on, lol. How much damage do you guys think I did? Would burning out the tubes be the only real problem?
not that bad...shouldn't be such a big problem test it
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
best thing to do might be to turn it back on to see if it still works if it doesnt u might need to get some new tubes?
[A Portrait For The Deceased]

I swear they just went into the special ed. class and got one of them to slam their foreheads on the keyboard.
I once masturbated on some dudes arm.
I'm pretty sure the worst would be the tubes, but of course I just wanted to double check to be on the safe side. I've always been carefule with making sure I turn it off and on properly as I want to get the best life span out of the tubes, but friday night for some reason I had other things on my mind and when the phone rang, I left the room and never went back in.
nothing wrong I think. If it's turned on in NON-standby for a long time, then there's a problem. I also forgot to turn my amp off a few time; and it still works.

Tubes can take quite some; You'd be surprised.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
When you turn off your amp, you don't need to leave it on standby. Simply turn it off.

It's good practice to switch it to standby just so it's on standby when you turn the amp on, allowing the tubes to warm up before practice, but there's no other benefit to turning the amp to standby, waiting a few minutes, then turning it off.

You put an amp on standby when you turn it on to warm up the tubes before turning it to "on", or to keep them warm while you do something like take a break, or make adjustments to your signal path/effects. The standby won't "cool" down the tubes before you turn it off.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
You should be ok.

To Hakael, while turning it straight off isnt necessarily an issue, tubes don't like sudden changes in current. Think of a standby as a "softer" on off switch, allowing you to more gradually power up and down. It may not be neccesary to turn it back to standby before turning it off, but is another 60 seconds really that difficult to wait?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
You should be ok.

To Hakael, while turning it straight off isnt necessarily an issue, tubes don't like sudden changes in current. Think of a standby as a "softer" on off switch, allowing you to more gradually power up and down. It may not be neccesary to turn it back to standby before turning it off, but is another 60 seconds really that difficult to wait?
+1.
I always wait a minute in standby before switching the power off.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
you should be fine. most wear on tubes is when they are turned on and off.
There is no point in leaving the amp on standby before turning it off.

Once you put the amp on standby, you're already cutting the current going to the tubes, all standby does is turn on and off the heaters. When you're turning the amp ON and your tubes are cold you don't want to shock them with high voltages as it can cause cathode stripping and would need about a minute to heat the tubes with the heaters, but turning it off, standby is completely unnecessary.