Hi,
so I'm trying to learn these Thrash Metal Songs and it says you're suppost to Alternate Pick the Strings.Now I've heard that Tremolo Picking is also considered Alternate Picking.So if I would Tremolo Pick(meaning in hitting the string(s) rapidly) would I be "cheating" or doing it wrong or would it be considered like "my own playing style"?I hope this was understandable.Thanks in advantage.
You don't technically have to alternate pick the strings, I play mostly down picking, it's what ever you're comfortable with, they tell you to alternate pick because it's easier.
Quote by Bovinator
Hi,
so I'm trying to learn these Thrash Metal Songs and it says you're suppost to Alternate Pick the Strings.Now I've heard that Tremolo Picking is also considered Alternate Picking.So if I would Tremolo Pick(meaning in hitting the string(s) rapidly) would I be "cheating" or doing it wrong or would it be considered like "my own playing style"?I hope this was understandable.Thanks in advantage.

Well, if you're on time, and hitting the right notes at the right time, sure.
Tremolo picking is exactly the same as alternate picking, to be honest I hate the term "tremolo picking" unless it's used in a classical context.

The supposed different between alternate and tremolo picking is that you have less control when tremolo picking because it's supposed to just be picking as fast as you can but seeing as how most of the time when people tremolo pick it actually fits rhythmically with the song I think it's a misnomer.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I use, as a general rule of thumb, alternate picking when it is too fast for my downpicking. That way I keep my downpicking real fast, and only alternate pick when I really need to. The only time I use alternate picking otherwise is if the song is meant to be played that way, after a while you will be able to hear the difference between the two types.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Thank You very much this really helped me.Now I can go off and learn those songs haha
They arent the same thing

Alternate picking is just doing up and down picks alternatively, hence the name.

Tremolo is picking very fast for a certain note duration to give a sense of sustain.
Last edited by Akyu at Oct 7, 2008,
If my idea is right then tremolo picking is the exact same thing as alternate picking except faster.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
They aren't the same. If you decide to tremolo pick a certain note and end it on a downstroke and then start tremolo picking on a different string starting on a downstroke, that is NOT alternate picking. Alternate picking is when the picking pattern is strictly limited to up, down, up, down; even when crossing strings.

Also, you could be playing a lick in which each note is only struck once, but is played with alternate picking. Tremolo picking is when you repeatedly pick a note for a certain amount of time.
Last edited by leephan at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by Bovinator
Hi,

If by tremolo picking you mean "flailing at the strings whilst randomly picking fast because you can't play it the way it's supposed to be played" then yes, you're cheating. However, the only person you're cheating is yourself.

Tremolo picking isn't in any way an essential technique - like Zaphod said it's got very specific applications. However inexperienced players seem to obsess over it like it's some holy grail when it comes to playing fast and it's nothing of the sort.

I suppose the right hand is technically alternate picking because it's an up/down motion but alternate picking really refers to both hands, using an up/down motion to pick individual notes. With tremolo picking you pick the same notes many times over - so by definition if you "tremolo pick" things that aren't supposed to be played that way you're playing them wrong.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
tremolo picking is picking one note continously very quickly...alternate picking is strumming many different notes (usually) on different strings going between upstrokes and downstrokes.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Alternate picking is when you follow strict down and up picking with a specific, defined rhythm, almost always while changing the note you're picking with every stroke of the pick. Tremolo picking is when you pick a single note with the same motion as alternate picking, but you play as fast as you can, completely ignoring any sense of playing in time.