ok i have a major problem with my bass,every time i put new strings on it they break within about a week,and the strings have put an indentation in the bridge which is cutting into the string,that's why their breaking so fast,so i filed it down and it's doing ok now,but the problem now is,i just got a new fender jazz bass and i put some new DR'S on there and it's already starting to cut into the bridge again.im just wondering is this normal for strings to do this or am i doing something wrong?any help is much appreciated
Yep, I'm from Kentucky all right! yee haw!

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
what do you mean by "cut into the bridge"? Is this "indentation" on the saddles or where each ball sits in its hole?

You're doing something wrong, but your description above doesnt' give enough info to figure out what. Post some photos of the strung bridge and the indentations so that we can tell what you're talking about.

The only way I can picture this happening is if you put the strings in backwards then bended each string over the thin metal ridge of the bridge (where the string holes are) to pull the string up towards the neck. Anyway, post some pics and we'll be able to tell you what's wrong.
well i havent really got a way to get pics on here sadly or i would,but where it's digging into the bridge is on the saddles,it's where the strings rest on em and from where it scrapes the saddles it gets jagged and then cuts the string,sorry if this is really confusing im trying my best to explain it

Quote by Zycho
Who says you need a band? A bass can do just as much exciting shit as a guitar can.
There should already be a groove in each saddle in which each string can sit are they resting in these grooves? It's perfectly natural for strings, especially steel strings, to wear down the saddle a little bit, but this wear is usually smooth and rounded, not sharp and full of the barbs that break strings ( it also happens so slowly you shouldn't notice it on your new jazz already). Perhaps there is too much of a downward push on the saddles, which lowering them could correct, do you already play with as low of action as possible?

The only other options I can imagine are 1) you are somehow tuned wrong and have the strings too tight, which would explain the extra pressure on the saddles and the easy breaking of strings or 2) you had a terrible bridge on the last bass that barbed as it wore in for some reason, and your new bass won't have the same problem as you break it in.
well i do play i with a pick so that could be one thing,and the other bass was pretty cheap so i think the bridge just wasnt good on it,but yeah it's where the groove's are at,it gets jagged feeling and stuff,but i think im gonna just go up to guitar center and get a badass bass bridge today and see what that does,cause everyone says its a good bridge to use on fenders anyway

Quote by Zycho