Hey all been playing a few months now about a month ago i bought new strings for my acoustic but they the to thinnest strings sound horrible when played on any fret with or without a capo i was wondering maybe they are the wrong kind, its just a basic basically new hiudson acoustic the strings are gibson light acoustic strings and i now want to change them to get a decent sound they are definitely in tune ect so its not that, anyway i mainly play Beatles and Oasis pop i guess you could say so would anyone recommend a certain type of string or make cheers again, apreciate it.
DR Coateds. Anything with a heavier gauge (at least .11 for acoustic) will do. Unless your intonation is just that horrible.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
When you press a string down on any given fret, it's supposed to be either exactly in tune or very close to it.
I.E. If you tune your guitar open perfectly and then hit each string on the 12th fret, it's supposed to be exactly in tune. If it's not, your intonation is out.

Don't judge me.
you want fairly thick strings for acoustic
+1 for .11's
i would recomend phosphor bronze (several brands make them i personally use martins) as they have a very nice tone go for something coated if you want them to last.
Thanks for the help guys got any links to the strings you would recommend? also i just checked and the tuner says the strings arent in tune if i hold them donw at the 12th fret.
How bad is it? I'm sure its a cheap guitar, so the intonation isn't going to be perfect.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Elixir-Phosphor-Bronze-Nanoweb-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-Buy-2-Get-1-Free-Light-Electric-Guitar-String--703253-i1398774.gc

Those are electric. Oops. But you get the idea. You want Phosphor Bronze, Coated, .12 Strings. Any manufacturer. i recommend Elixir, DR, Martin, Ernie Ball, and D'Addario.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Oct 6, 2008,
Ok thanks yea its not an expensive guitar its just a beginner hudson something not exactly sure on the model i was advised in my music store its good for beginners and tbh it sounds great on the for thicker strings sorry don't know the names yet its just the bottom two and i think that's just because of the gauge, thanks again.
You guys are crackin me up talking about .11's like they're heavy.

D'addario LIGHT strings are .012 and mediums are .013

Assuming it's a dreadnought I'd use .013's I only use .012's on my Larrivee OM

I use these.

Hope that helps.

-J
Quote by Nims
You guys are crackin me up talking about .11's like they're heavy.

D'addario LIGHT strings are .012 and mediums are .013

Assuming it's a dreadnought I'd use .013's I only use .012's on my Larrivee OM

I use these.

Hope that helps.

-J

Hah. i don't think they're heavy, I play with them on my electrics. I use .12s or .13s on my acoustics, but it gets irritating on someone elses guitar if the action is high and the gauge is as well.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Hah. i don't think they're heavy, I play with them on my electrics. I use .12s or .13s on my acoustics, but it gets irritating on someone elses guitar if the action is high and the gauge is as well.

Agreed but it's not the strings fault the setup is junk

I remember the first time I went to buy new elec. strings after playing acoustics for about 10 years. I went in looking for .013's and the guy looked at me like I was nuts!

-J
Quote by Nims
Agreed but it's not the strings fault the setup is junk

I remember the first time I went to buy new elec. strings after playing acoustics for about 10 years. I went in looking for .013's and the guy looked at me like I was nuts!

-J

Haha.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Mitchell?
I use those exact same strings on my acoustic.

for some reason i like thinner strings on my acoustic... i only use the blue version of those, i think their 12's
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
I use the new Ernie Ball Coated Titanium RPS acoustics. The store manager here in San Diego told me to pick some up and I'm digging them.
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
I'm a fan of Elixir Nanoweb in phosphor bronze. They generally run around $15 - $16 - worth every penny IMO

My Gear
Fender Am. Strat
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Dean Exotica CE