Hey guys,

I have an Ibanez AF95 Hollowbody guitar and I'm thinking about putting new pickups into it. It plays extremely well for the price but the sounds a bit lacking for me.

I play mostly jazz and jazz fusion type stuff, and I'm going for that mellow Pat Metheny type tone, but I have absolutley no clue what pickups are good for hollowbodys. Any suggestions?

Thanks
What kind of amp are you playing through?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by frazzledazzle
why not try out dimarzio eric johnson humbuckers?

+1
Good suggestion
also the Seymour Duncan JB would get some nice tones.

Basically in a semi-hollow you should use mid to vintage output pickups with pronounced mids for that silky smooth jazz tone.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
+1
Good suggestion
also the Seymour Duncan JB would get some nice tones.

Basically in a semi-hollow you should use mid to vintage output pickups with pronounced mids for that silky smooth jazz tone.

Its a full hollowbody. Would that make a difference?
Yes, but what amp are you using - that makes even more difference,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yes, but what amp are you using - that makes even more difference,

I'm using a Line 6: Spider Valve 112 40W. I can get a great tone out of it but I still want to upgrade the pickups on my guitar.
Why? It won't make an awful lot of difference - that's why your amp has all that digital gubbins in the front end.

What exactly do you think is wrong with the sound currently?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Why? It won't make an awful lot of difference - that's why your amp has all that digital gubbins in the front end.

What exactly do you think is wrong with the sound currently?

Its just not the tone I'm going for. The stock pickups aren't that bad, but they just are cutting it for me.

And thanks to everyone who recommended things. Its helping out alot.
You've said absolutely nothing about WHY you think a pickup change is necessary...what is "not cutting it" supposed to mean?

If you can't even quantify what's wrong with your sound then you don't need new pickups...you probably just need to make better use of the dazzling array of tonal variety your amp offers, or buy a different guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
You've said absolutely nothing about WHY you think a pickup change is necessary...what is "not cutting it" supposed to mean?

If you can't even quantify what's wrong with your sound then you don't need new pickups...you probably just need to make better use of the dazzling array of tonal variety your amp offers, or buy a different guitar.

This....mostly. You can tweak that amp to hell and back, but generally, modeling amps aren't going to notice subtleties in different pickups.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by steven seagull

I'm aware of the capabilities of my guitar and amp. However, I want new pickups. And I asked for recomendations, not if I need new pickups. I understand exactly what you're saying, and you're right. But all I wanted to know is what kind of pickups are good for hollowbodys. That's it.
Quote by neojazzical
I'm aware of the capabilities of my guitar and amp. However, I want new pickups. And I asked for recomendations, not if I need new pickups. I understand exactly what you're saying, and you're right. But all I wanted to know is what kind of pickups are good for hollowbodys. That's it.

Buy whatever you want, you evidently only want to change your pickups because you think it's a cool thing to do.

I need to know why you think you need new pickups so I can give you good advice...currently based on the information you've provided the best advice I can give is "don't bother".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by neojazzical

You're not getting it.

Here is what he's asking, what bothers you about your pickup, is the top end too harsh? is it too muddy, is the output too high, too low, etc? what is it about the pickup that makes it not sound good to you, that way, people don't recommend a pickup that sounds exactly the same or has the same qualities that bother you about your current pickup.
The pickups lack alot of body and aren't too responsive. Like I said I'm going for that mellow Pat Metheny tone. So I want something with alot of low end, not too much treble, but that still packs a punch.
Quote by neojazzical
The pickups lack alot of body and aren't too responsive. Like I said I'm going for that mellow Pat Metheny tone. So I want something with alot of low end, not too much treble, but that still packs a punch.

Corrected: You want a shitload of low mids, with some high mids for a little clarity.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Corrected: You want a shitload of low mids, with some high mids for a little clarity.

That sounds about right. I don't know dildos about pickups but you hit the nail on the head so to speak.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Using an EQ pedal, you can boost the specific frequencies you like.

I've never really considered this, but i think I'll check one out. Can you recommend any specific pedals?