Page 1 of 3
You know when you're forced to watch a film that looks awful and then surprises you and turns out to be quite good.

Discuss these films here

One for me was "Hard Candy." I thought it was really gripping and interesting and it started off looking VERY predictable and got REALLY interesting
Originally posted by jklsadj;sadjfak
well, green day was at woodstock. so they are classic rock! i told you!
Originally posted by Iluvpowerchords
Pfff Gay people are Fags
The improper use of apostrophes surprises me.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
I can't remember the name...

Robin Williams worked in a supermarket as a photograph developer and he starts stalking a woman and her kid. Great film.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Da G Man

One for me was "Hard Candy." I thought it was really gripping and interesting and it started off looking VERY predictable and got REALLY interesting

That was a shit movie. The pedo guy became arguably easier to sympathize with than the "protagonist." The dialogue was so fucking annoying. I just ended up hating both of those hipster dumbasses and wanted them both to die.

I was surprised by how much I was entertained by Lost in Translation. I thought it would be extremely boring. So far, Sofia Coppola has entertained me much more than her ever so vaunted father.
Stardust. That film was amazing.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Liam.
I can't remember the name...

Robin Williams worked in a supermarket as a photograph developer and he starts stalking a woman and her kid. Great film.

One Hour Photo... or something. That was a good one.
Hot and ready milf 2: Is it that I is big enough?
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
benny & joon
it looked wayyy too sugary sweet but its actually amazing, the acting is great from the 3 main characters, and for the time it was made, it was really quirky
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Quote by saphrax
Little Miss Sunshine

I concur.

I loved that film after thinking it would be a bit crap.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
Girl Next Door looked like a shitty American Pie clone but I actually thought it was ok as a mindless comedy film.

At first I thought Lantana was really boring and pretentious, but after about a half hour I was hooked and now it's one of my favourite films.

I thought The Notebook was gonna be cheesy and really suck, but it was actually a pretty solid example of its genre, and quite well-written.

I also thought Being John Malkovich would be good, judging by all the awards and shit. I was wrong.

EDIT: And I thought Nightmare on Elm's Street would be scary. Not remotely.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Last edited by break-me-in at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by Trefellin
One Hour Photo... or something. That was a good one.

That's the one.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Apacalypto I thought was kind of dumb as first but shit it got interesting as hell.
shawshank...for some reason i just thought it would be shit...i had no reason to think this at allo i just kinda thought it was.
Quote by matt062286
Step Brothers. Thought it would continue the trend of Will Ferrell's movies getting worse.

Napoleon Dynamite. Previews made it look stupid as hell. Didn't really like it that much the first time I saw it either, but is now one of my all time favorites.

agreed, i kid not when i say that was the funniset film i have seen
Sig space available, give me some praise
Last edited by ross1234 at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Wild Young Studs 6...I kept watching, but the girls never came

*ba dum tsh*

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Ghostrider. I thought that was gonna be stupid as hell, but it was actually fairly interesting.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
Rocky Horror Picture Show

from what i heard and saw about it, it looked really stupid. watched the whole thing, hilarious.
the game
Step Brothers. Thought it would continue the trend of Will Ferrell's movies getting worse.

Napoleon Dynamite. Previews made it look stupid as hell. Didn't really like it that much the first time I saw it either, but is now one of my all time favorites.
Quote by matt062286

I agree with Napoleon, the awkward character thing seemed a little hacky to me, but it was a fantastic film in the end.

And I'd like to add BASEketball - my favourite comedy of all time
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Pan's Labyrinth. It is very hard to explain and i couldn't be arsed to read subtitles but it is actually soo good. Del Toro is a god. Apart from Hellboy. Also has anyone seen Jindabyne? Someone said it was good and then nothing happened after 40 minutes no characters or themes had been estabolished so i switched off.
Quote by saphrax
Little Miss Sunshine

+1, I got it as a gift (before seeing it, what a stupid idea) and I thought it was going to be pretty bad but I ended up loving it.

Quote by matt062286

Really? I hated that movie.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I have to agree with Napoleon Dynamite. It was a surprise.

After hearing what everyone said about it, I thought it would be hilarious. It was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Only laughed once, the movie sucked hard.
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
Yeah Being John Malkovich was good, one was the weirdest movies I've seen. Back when Anchorman came out I had no desire to see it, I just thought it was gonna suck, but it turned out to be good.
Quote by dethskar0
Ghostrider. I thought that was gonna be stupid as hell, but it was actually fairly interesting.

It was probably the worst film I've ever seen in my life.

I just sat there at the end in shock. It was terrible.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
I was much too far out all my life
The Butterfly Effect

I expected it to be poop, but it was actually really entertaining

I was pleasantly surprised
something about Mary

I never had seen it till' las week... I really really really liked it
Quote by saphrax
Little Miss Sunshine

yeah. I thought it would be a sappy kids film but it was really quite moving and charming.
Juno. I just thought it'd be another one of those horrific chick flicks my gf would force me to sit through, but Ellen Page was amazing in it. Her dad had some of the funniest dialogue I've heard in a while. By funny I mean actually humorous/clever, and not just the I-act-stupid funny that Will Ferrell does.
Quote by saphrax
Little Miss Sunshine

Massive +1. I loved that movie.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
Battle royale, i thought the idea of students stuck on an island killing each other was a bit weird, and i expected a load up argueing/emotional scenes, but i found the film very good
The Dark Knight

It was built up so much i thought it would of been ruined and not live up to expectations

i was soooo wrong!
Page 1 of 3