Ok, I'm the lead guitar for my band, and the bass player just broke his old shitty bass. He has to buy a new bass, and he says he's not spending much money on the new bass (not more than 350 dollars, like 250 euros), because he says it's not worth the difference you would pay get to get a more expensive instrument.

This is where I need you guys. I want to prove him that if he wants a decent bass he's gonna need to spend more money than that. If you have/know an audio clip or a video where you play a cheap bass and then a decent bass, please post it here. If possible, both basses should be played with the same amp settings, just to make sure that sound differences come from the instrument, not from the amp. I hope that way he realizes it's really worth paying more for a better instrument.

Of course, if you have suggestions of any bass he could buy, you'll be welcome. We play rock/metal, and we'll be recording some stuff and playing several gigs in the coming months, if it helps.

Thanks in advance.
I know that better basses limit fret buz and have better pickups. Cheap basses almost seem like the amp you're playing out of has been put in a cardboard box (weird description but its all I could think of) .
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
The most important different (IMO) is the difference in feel. USA made Fenders just feel that much for solid and pleasant to play than the Mexicans.

And I doubt many of us here will own two basses that are sufficiently similar that they could put the difference entirely down to build quality. However, one or two of the jazz bass freaks with a squire and an American may be able to help.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
In most cases price doesn't make a HUGE difference. Honestly, he's going to be playing it not you so what do you care what he buys? And if he doesn't want to spend money on a bass that is "good" why not just go used? You could always find decent prices on ebay for used gear.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
If the dude doesn't know what's better in an expensive bass, it's not worth proving it to him. He wouldn't know how to take advantage of or appreciate the hike in quality anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
but I mean, imagine this situation: you take a cheap bass and a decent bass, plug them into the same amp and play both of them. would a "normal person" (that's non musician) realize that one of them sounds better than the other (not just different) though he couldn't explain in which way?
I guess there must be a noticeable difference, but I'm a guitar player, so I might be wrong. That's just what I want to know, if it's easy to hear the difference between a low quality and middle quality bass, and if there's that difference, an audio or videoclip to check it out.

and of course, whatever he buys he will probably buy an used bass
Quote by elgranmapache
but I mean, imagine this situation: you take a cheap bass and a decent bass, plug them into the same amp and play both of them. would a "normal person" (that's non musician) realize that one of them sounds better than the other (not just different) though he couldn't explain in which way?
I guess there must be a noticeable difference, but I'm a guitar player, so I might be wrong. That's just what I want to know, if it's easy to hear the difference between a low quality and middle quality bass, and if there's that difference, an audio or videoclip to check it out.

i dont play the bass, but i assume it is pretty much directly related to the same question about guitars. if you understand and can explain the differences between crappy guitars and good ones, its about the same for basses. though i assume basses use different woods, pickups, etc.

also, dont get caught up on the price--look at the quality. you can buy a pretty decent electric guitar for about $350-550, so (again, im ASSUMING) it would be the same in the case of bass guitars.
you can get a used version of a $600 bass for 400 or so, not too much higher than his budget, and it won't be american made but the pickups will be way nicer
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Tell him to get the Ibanez SRX2EX1, great bass, nice n' cheap, solves both of your problems.

Win, Ibanez. Win.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by elgranmapache

I had my old Epi T-bird at school one day and everyone was saying they liked my ATK better.Maby its just the T-bird...
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
SRX, VM Squier. one of those.

or show him some Warwicks and American Fenders, he should appreciate those...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
A new bassist might be cheaper, but you can get a non-crappy bass for $350 anyway. If he's going to spend the money then guide him to something good in that price range.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by elgranmapache
Ok, I'm the lead guitar for my band, and the bass player just broke his old shitty bass. He has to buy a new bass, and he says he's not spending much money on the new bass (not more than 350 dollars, like 250 euros), because he says it's not worth the difference you would pay get to get a more expensive instrument.

This is where I need you guys. I want to prove him that if he wants a decent bass he's gonna need to spend more money than that. If you have/know an audio clip or a video where you play a cheap bass and then a decent bass, please post it here. If possible, both basses should be played with the same amp settings, just to make sure that sound differences come from the instrument, not from the amp. I hope that way he realizes it's really worth paying more for a better instrument.

Of course, if you have suggestions of any bass he could buy, you'll be welcome. We play rock/metal, and we'll be recording some stuff and playing several gigs in the coming months, if it helps.

Thanks in advance.
I would shake your hand if this wasn't the internet. Thank you for being a musician and not just a guitarist.

Take him to a store and hand him two basses and don't let him look at the price tags and see which he prefers in terms of tone. If anything a new bassist would be better.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by elgranmapache

Some can, some can't. The problem is a lot of people have trouble hearing the bass in a band setting. It can make a difference in the way the band sounds overall, but if he's in denial, it might be hard to convince him otherwise. However, I do have a solution. Even if people can't hear the difference, they can see the difference. In general, expensive basses look expensive. cheap basses look cheap (ok this isn't true for gibson or fender, but still). show him the difference between, say different Ibanezes or Spectors
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Look, any bass over 300US bucks should be fine. Just dont get a really cheap one. We bought my mate a $140 "Freedom" bass guitar, it looked ok on the net, but when we got it, we found it to be a terrible instrument. As soon as i went to tune it, one of the tuners broke, and the neck croaks and creeks everytime you move it, where it bolts onto the body. It has terrible fret buz, and there is something wrong with the bridge too
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by elgranmapache
Ok, I'm the lead guitar for my band, and the bass player just broke his old shitty bass.

Expensive basses (shouldn't) break. Cheap basses break all the time. Its not always just sound and feel, the internal wiring, and quality control matter too.

However, you don't have to spend $1000 for a good bass. If you look for good deals used and online, you can stretch $350 a bit further. Really, I'd say if he gets a good deal, at that price he can get something decent, especially if he puts the time and effort to adjust the neck and action the proper way, which is part of the "feel" of an expensive bass (but by no means all of it).

Plus, if he's got a decent amp than it'll make any bass sound ok.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
I payed £150 for my bass and although it did have a little bit of fret buzz when i got it, it's a pretty solid bass.. pretty good sound, feel's solid, really nice wood used on it (it only has a clear stain on it so you can see the neck thru wood 7-piece) and the wings on the body.

So yea it's not all about buying a fender MIA for $2,000.. its all about finding something you like the look, sound and feel of, for all you know he might pick up some unknown cheap brand and fall in love with the thing... even it does have abit of fret rattle or shoddy pick-up's..