Poll: Should there be censorship in media?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should there be censorship in media?
Yes
22 30%
No
52 70%
Voters: 74.
Its for a debate, and Im voting that all censorship should be removed, and that anything with "censorable material" must be presented on certain channels on TV and radio. This makes it so certain channels are still child friendly. There will be no censorship in books, music, magazines etc.

If you think there should be censorship in media, vote yes. If you think there should be no censorship in media, vote no

Kthx
Last edited by rollininrhythm at Oct 6, 2008,
there's a time and place for everything, including censorship in media.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
you need balance in life. Censorship is part of that.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I think it should be up to the owners of those media sources, to be honest. It's like saying Atlantic Records should be forced to allow neo-nazi punk on their label.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Censorship before the watershed i.e. 9pm. Afterwards anything goes.

And on the radio, only strong swear words, i.e. f*uck should be censored, not fag, shit etc.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
maybe censor it during different times of the day
like the watershed thing
so past 10pm, its not censored?
so the kiddy winks dont see Rape or something
Censorship here in the U.S. is already really minimal and mostly self imposed, I do think the FCC rules for the radio and broadcast TV should be relaxed for broadcasts between 9 PMand 6 AM though.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think it should be up to the owners of those media sources, to be honest. It's like saying Atlantic Records should be forced to allow neo-nazi punk on their label.

That's pretty much how it is, at least here, the only mandatory censorship is for broadcast TV and radio, cable TV, music, movies etc. are all censored by the companies that produce/distribute/air them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Oct 6, 2008,
I'm an Opie & Anthony fan, that should tell you how I feel about cencorship.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
I voted no, but it obviously needs to be taken in context.
Nudity, swearing and other offensive material should stay censored for children.
I don't think an opinion should ever be censored though, or a truth.
There's an OFF button on the TV for a reason.
If you don't like what you're watching DON'T WATCH, rather than force your views on everyone else.
Censorship doesn't just apply to offensive material, you get rid of censoring and TV ends up like the internet.

So if you want to get rid of censorship from the media, please enjoy your tubgirl, goatse, lemonparty, kids in a sandbox, 2 girls one cup, 5 girls fingerpaint etc
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Censorship doesn't just apply to offensive material, you get rid of censoring and TV ends up like the internet.

So if you want to get rid of censorship from the media, please enjoy your tubgirl, goatse, lemonparty, kids in a sandbox, 2 girls one cup, 5 girls fingerpaint etc

No not really, that would kill ratings.

Last.fm
Quote by captivate
this.

but it's a concept lost on the young.
they're hung up on absolutes. Always. Never.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

I agree with to a point

As an actor, I hate censorship on TV, movies and such, as a musician I hate censorship in music, because a soccer mom could complain and and get a couple of soccer moms and start an organization and the record label or TV station might want to censor my record or have me change my lyrics or script, when the general public barely ever gets the point trying to be made.

On the other hand, I agree with the statement above, because of the fact that it might be un-profitable for the record company or TV station if a boy-cott was ****ing them over, so I can see the business side of it, but if its a small complaint they shouldn't care because their reputation isn't all that much on the line since no one in the general public knows about the inner workings of a record label or TV station, but its the artist's credibility and reputation on the line since they're they product they're advertising and its the more recognizable name and figure. So its debatable, but generally I dont like censorship because the people who it usually offends are un-educated, or just insecure and that's their fault, not ours.
First debate that came to mind:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcwtp5cQwVw

You don't even have to stick to FZ's arguments, you can just talk about how people have been promoting censorship in the media for a really long time, and if they'd had their way each time there wouldn't be any fun stuff on TV nowadays

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Internet counts as media

And this type of thing would only be viewable on uncensored channels. The plan of action, had you read my post, is to take out all censorship. BUT to also make it so anything innappropriate cant be on certain channels. So you have "safe" channels
Quote by rollininrhythm
Internet counts as media

And this type of thing would only be viewable on uncensored channels. The plan of action, had you read my post, is to take out all censorship. BUT to also make it so anything innappropriate cant be on certain channels. So you have "safe" channels

Which is pretty much exactly how it is now.

Last.fm
Yes, I think there should be censorship.

At the risk of sounding like a character in Hot Fuzz, it's for the greater good.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
My take on Censorship:

It is up to the company at hand, not the gov't to decide what is censorable. If a radio station chooses to bleep out the word Shit that's their business. Not the gov't.

My personal belief is that no "swear words" should be censored. Think about it:

Shit, Crap, Poo, Feces, Dung, Droppings - They all mean the same exact thing. But only one is a "bad word". It's not the word itself that's bad, it's the meaning of the word. So either uncensor Shit or censor the rest!

Why is it you can refer to something, but you just can't say the word? That's hypocritical, idiotic and pointless!

Cable is not censored, yet pretty much every station has it's own limits that they set. That's perfectly fine. But no government organization should have the right to throw out the First Amendment and regulate what Radio stations or basic TV stations can air. Don't like what you're hearing/seeing, change the channel or turn it off. Simple enough.

Let's not forget the backwards ideas the FCC has. Jack Bauer can BITE OUT A MAN'S JUGULAR VEIN on prime time national television, but a woman cannot show her breasts, HER NATURAL ANATOMY THAT EVERY WOMAN HAS. Where are our morals?

Also, is this a debate you're preparing for class or something? If so Frank Zappa's stance against the PMRC is something to study.

"The majority of songs out there are about love. If music had any control over people we'd all love one another. I wrote a song about dental floss [Montana from Over-Nite Sensation] but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" - FZ

Quote by CTFOD
Yes, I think there should be censorship.

At the risk of sounding like a character in Hot Fuzz, it's for the greater good.

No, it's not. It keeps people from seeing or hearing about things that they experience almost everyday in their lives. In everyday conversation how many times do you or your friends swear? Just about everybody swears, why can't we see it on TV? Just about everybody has sex, if nobody did none of us would be here today, why is it a bad thing that must be censored? It's not for the greater good, it treats intelligent people like children, and children like they'll be "innocent" forever.

Lenny Bruce is another man to look up.

tl;dr: Grow up. Paragraphs 4, 6 and 7 are my major points.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Last edited by TheIceCreamMan at Oct 6, 2008,
p0rn and swearing aren't appropriate for children, and are not enjoyed by many i feel there is a place for it
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by bikerboyjosh
p0rn and swearing aren't appropriate for children, and are not enjoyed by many i feel there is a place for it

Change the channel, all it takes is the press of one button. Besides, most stations will censor themselves. The federal gov't just shouldn't have the right to throw out the First Amendment and censor the media from things we all experience in everyday life.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by captivate

Exactly!

Or else we'll end up like Idiocracy...like... fuck like...yeah, fuck *moronic laughter*
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Quote by BloodMoon666
Exactly!

Or else we'll end up like Idiocracy...like... fuck like...yeah, fuck *moronic laughter*

No we wouldn't. Use of the word would go DOWN. Taking away the taboo removes the forbidden fruit appeal. I remember back in elementary school everyone used "Fuck" because it was edgy and cool. It was rebellion. If we remove the taboo it becomes just another word and people will use it when necessary.

Example: In Holland, when they legalized Marijuana, teenage use dropped from 11% to 8%. Forbidden fruit. Take away the forbidden part and not so many people want to eat it anymore.
Quote by Shredder XXX