i didnt know in which forum to put this in.. i just need a lil help..

is it possible to run a mic thru a guitar amp?? i have an old laney i wanna use... will it also work for, say a line 6 spider III??

and wat kinda cable must i get??

thanx alot guys
Depends on what you're running. If you have a good harp player running one of those "Bullit" or whatever mics through a good low wattage tube amp, that will probably sound good. Other than that, for the most part, only guitars sound good through guitar amps.

However, alot of things can be run through a good bass amp in a pinch if you have a good ear for EQ.
You will blow out your guitar amp if you're trynig to sing vocals through it. I would seriously listen to me here

Not right away, but over a very short period of time. A bass amp can handle vocals better, but its still not recomended
Quote by Serial 177
so its better to run it thru a bass amp?? i also have an old bass amp.. im just waiting to have a simple set up for a band jam..

If it's a one-time thing, it's probably OK, otherwise you really want to get a simple PA.
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
You will blow out your guitar amp if you're trynig to sing vocals through it. I would seriously listen to me here

Not right away, but over a very short period of time. A bass amp can handle vocals better, but its still not recomended

+1, actually besides a PA the only other thing i could REALLY recommend is a keyboard amp. i tell kids this all the time in the bandleading and other forums and nobody wants to believe me :-/ but seriously, unless you want a good reason to buy a new guitar amp in 6 months dont do it.
Can someone explain why running vocals through a guitar amp would blow the amp? It doesn't seem to me that running a vocal signal from an XLR down into a guitar cable would matter with the output in any way, unless you crank the amp way too much.
I have never personally blown a guitar amp with a non-guitar instrument - but the only significant non-guitar I have put through my amp in the last 6 months is a bass guitar, and, lo and behold, my amp is a '71 Fender Bassman.

My personal theory is that you shouldn't run a vocal line through a guitar amp, for this reason:

Not because it will blow (I only say this because it hasn't happened to me)

But because it will sound like like absolute and utter shite.

Any questions?
Quote by Philbigtime
I have never personally blown a guitar amp with a non-guitar instrument - but the only significant non-guitar I have put through my amp in the last 6 months is a bass guitar, and, lo and behold, my amp is a '71 Fender Bassman.

My personal theory is that you shouldn't run a vocal line through a guitar amp, for this reason:

Not because it will blow (I only say this because it hasn't happened to me)

But because it will sound like like absolute and utter shite.

Any questions?

um no, this isn't why. a guitar in all registers generally pushes a little bit of low end, and a moderate amount of mid and high end. the human voice even when singing in upper registers pushes more bass than a guitar would in that register, thats one of several basic reasons. theres also a lot to do with the electronics involved in guitar amps and the speaker construction that i won't really go into. lets just look at it like this, compared to a guitar amp, PA's and bass amps (and keyboard amps) are more expensive. why? because they're built to handle the registers and frequencies that they use. can you do vocals on a guitar amp? sure, you can do it for a little while without any damage im sure but after a little while expect it to start falling apart.
Quote by z4twenny
um no, this isn't why. a guitar in all registers generally pushes a little bit of low end, and a moderate amount of mid and high end. the human voice even when singing in upper registers pushes more bass than a guitar would in that register, thats one of several basic reasons. theres also a lot to do with the electronics involved in guitar amps and the speaker construction that i won't really go into. lets just look at it like this, compared to a guitar amp, PA's and bass amps (and keyboard amps) are more expensive. why? because they're built to handle the registers and frequencies that they use. can you do vocals on a guitar amp? sure, you can do it for a little while without any damage im sure but after a little while expect it to start falling apart.

So you're telling me that guitar amps sound great for vocals, the only problem is that they will break? Have you ever even ran vox through a guitar amp? They will, in fact, sound terrible. I have no doubt that what you say is true, but there is no need to disagree with me, unless you do actually think that vocal ran through a guitar amp sounds good.

(it doesn't)
In my experience, my friend runs his vocals through a small peavey. Hes been doing it since I can remember, and though it doesnt sound the best, the amp still works fine.
The amp will not be fine. lol

so much bad information is being given to the TS in this topic.

Your amp WILL blow by running vocals through it, its only a matter of time. Some amps might hang in there for longer, some might bust in a week.

This is a guarantee, if you keep pushing your amp with vocal frequincies.

You can get a PA that will do the trick for under 300 bucks. Once you add mics and mic stands it gets to be a bit more, but its a smart investment.
Quote by Philbigtime
So you're telling me that guitar amps sound great for vocals, the only problem is that they will break? Have you ever even ran vox through a guitar amp? They will, in fact, sound terrible. I have no doubt that what you say is true, but there is no need to disagree with me, unless you do actually think that vocal ran through a guitar amp sounds good.

(it doesn't)

sounding good/bad is relative to everybody. you might think it sounds awful, someone else might think it sounds great, i didn't once mention the "quality" of the vocals. thats irrelevent to the point i was making that it will screw up the amp.
ok, well...

i run mics through a guitar amp..

haha, the mics are old karaoke mics and yeah they plug straight in. we gig with it,
Is bad ass one or two words?