Ya..title prettymuch sums it up. Say..the solo from M.I.A. by Avenged Sevenfold for example. I mean, that solo basically goes up and down the fretboard and it cant all be made from a single scale/mode..unless he just changes from say D Mixolydian to like E...or haha, thanks!
goes up and down the fretboard and it cant all be made from a single scale/mode

Why can't it? Scales span the entire fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Totally depends on the style, song, and solo itself. Most Blues solos that you hear a note that sounds "out of scale" are a combination of notes from the major AND minor pentatonic/blues scales, and the maj/min pentatonics of the IV and V chords.
Last edited by Philbigtime at Oct 6, 2008,
Nope. One scale: The Chromatic Scale..
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
a scale isn't just a box shape. A scale is a group of notes with one tonal centre. You can play CDEFGAB in any position on the fretboard and its still going to be the same scale.

Solos are generally in the one key. Chromatics can be thrown in but they don't change the key.
Quote by Declan87
Solos are generally in the one key. Chromatics can be thrown in but they don't change the key.

Yes they can. If you throw in the right chromatic note, it can change the scale completely.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Yes they can. If you throw in the right chromatic note, it can change the scale completely.

He said key, not scale. The key is determined by the underlying harmony. Throwing in a chromatic note won't change it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by yM.Samurai
Nope. One scale: The Chromatic Scale.
This is an absolutely ridiculous statement. To say that everything is made from the chromatic scale, while correct, completely inhibits our ability to communicate musical ideas with our kin.
I wish theory was that simple, I would be able to answer every question in MT.

'What scale do I use to sound like __?'
The chromatic scale.

'What mode is this from?'
Its not from a mode. It's from the chromatic scale.

'How do I solo on this progression?'
Use the chromatic scale

etc, etc
He's talking about Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster Gates has said in intervies that he uses all notes in the chromatic scale to mix things up a bit. Obviously not just in straight semitones ascending, but he uses everything somewhere.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Quote by yM.Samurai
He's talking about Avenged Sevenfold. Synyster Gates has said in intervies that he uses all notes in the chromatic scale to mix things up a bit. Obviously not just in straight semitones ascending, but he uses everything somewhere.

1. It was you who posted that ridiculous statement. Don't think you can trick me into thinking it was someone else.

2. When you play like that, you have a general scale in mind, perhaps minor pentatonic, and then add in chromatic tones as you please. To say that you compose only from the chromatic scale, though, is completely inane.
It's completely counterproductive to say it's the chromatic scale. That's like saying rad(i^4-cos90) is a number.

TS, no, not necessarily, especially if we're talking about Avenged Sevenfold. Yes, notes that aren't in the scale are thrown in, but they aren't part of the fundamental tonality. A song in D minor has a solo in D minor.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
1. It was you who posted that ridiculous statement. Don't think you can trick me into thinking it was someone else.

I was referring to the TS when I said "he."
And you're all right, I'm wrong.
Quote by metal4all

Quote by steven seagull
Last edited by yM.Samurai at Oct 7, 2008,
Haha wow. Actually I wasn't talking about Syn in particular. I just happened to be listening to MIA at the time. But thanks for the responses everyone. ...And "all the notes in the chromatic scale" is just A-G ..I see throwing in notes, but to say "use the chromatic scale" really isn't saying anything.