Anyone else ever try it?

The way I do it is I sweep from bass to treble with the meat of my thumb and from treble to bass with the meat my middle finger. It sounds quite cool when done right.

Not something you'd use every day but a neat trick for solo pieces or putting that showoff guitarist in his place.
Quote by rollininrhythm
K, koo

If you dont have anythin interestin to say dont say it.

What arp are you using? I've tried a few times times before and never got anywhere with it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Amp? A 1x8 Peavey Audition guitar amp.

My MAG will be here soon enough...
Quote by Arbitror
Amp? A 1x8 Peavey Audition guitar amp.

My MAG will be here soon enough...

lol i meant arp as in arrpegio.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
The easiest shapes I find are the ones in the shape of E and Em on the guitar, preferably with the third added after the root on the E string.
I do this.

Adding in tapping can lead to some crazy shit.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I use the nail of my thumb on the upstroke, but that's just because I'm a badass.
I really want to master this technique and become some famous, awesome, cool, incrediably good looking, bassist that every loves cause of my awesome sweeping...!

Just kidding, but yeah i'm really frightened to start to learn this technique because its just hours and hours of slow practice going up and down until you will be able to do it at a proficient speed. You rake down and up with your finger meaning your not alternating your fingers for more than one note which in my opinion is blasphemy. Its not bad to do once in a while, but when your learning a technique that is so repetitive i think my brain will do this bad habit of not alternating your fingers every note, because of hours of practicing sweeping.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
I sometimes do it with my thumb and index finger. I'm not great at it, but it can get some ridiculously fast arpeggios.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Can someone tab out some shapes for me to try it, I cant really think of anything
Quote by guitarhero_764

Please can someone tab out some exercises? I've always wanted to learn how to sweep. But I'm too scared.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Theres also sweep tapping, Protest the Hero's bassist uses it often. is pretty cool.
Quote by Waters?
Theres also sweep tapping, Protest the Hero's bassist uses it often. is pretty cool.

This is what I use, I can't do that thumb sweep without it sounding muddy and sloppy as hell and it's easier do larger arpeggios with 2 hands(for me atleast).
Stuff like this:
Em
G------------------------12---16--
D-------------------14-----------
A----------10--14------------------
E------12----------------------------
--------L---L----R---R----L---R-------------
Dm
G-----------------10--14--------------
D-------------12--------------------
A---------12------------------------
E-----13------------------------------
-------R----L---L---L---R----------------------

L - Left hand
R - right hand

Changing around the thirds for major arpeggios and moving patterns like that along the fretboard.
Quote by Waters?

The sweep taps in Goddess Bound are too far beyond this young foodlord

G-10p7-----------12p9-------------
D------7--------------10----------
A--------8---------------12-------
E----------10---------------12----
B-------------11---------------13-

But then I get to do some sweet chords

G----------
D-10-11-10-
A-12-10-8--
E----------
B----------
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....