I'm considering going to a tech school for guitar building and repairing, has anyone done this? If you have, do you think it was a good idea?

Please, no "my friend of a friend of a friend works as a guitar repairman", first or secondhand only.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
I would like to know this as well
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
My uncle took a course but it never worked out. So no, I can't help you. What was the question?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

My uncle took a course but it never worked out. It seems like a good idea to me.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Depends on how deep you want to get into it. Most of the stuff that will come your way is simple pot replacement or blown componets. Mods, setups and installs and normal maintence. Anything more then that your average customer wont fit the bill for the repair. So a simple knowledge in electronics can get you pretty far in it. Now if your wanting to build amps from scratch yes your gonna need some pretty detailed electronics background.

Ohh and the answer is yes you will need to know what your doing so if you dont have any electronic background schooling is a must but a simple guitar tech wont have a masters in the stuff is what im getting at.

I learned from working on electronics in the audio field and donig hands on stuff for many years then took that knowledge and moved it over to guitar amps.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Oct 6, 2008,