hey, i'm looking for a good guitar with an HSH configuration...I have a strat knockoff right now with HSS, and I'm looking for that neck humbucker tone. I would use it more for cleans, for blues and jazz, and I was wondering what anybody could suggest. Btw, I play blues, classic/hard rock(ac/dc, led zeppelin,aerosmith...), and a little jazz.

Here's some more details:

-HSH pickup configuration(as said b4)

-tremelo vs. hard tail bridge doesn't matter, but no floyd rose(I looked online a little, but it's hard (for me) to find a HSH w/o one...)

-amp: Fender Super Champ XD (don't have yet but will soon)

-budget: around $500 (american dollars), but below that would be great...

hope I didn't forget anything...anyways, I'm open to all suggetions!
have a look at this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Striker-Custom-S424CR-Electric-Guitar?sku=515348
Or, you can modify a standard strat by buying a couple pickups and a new pickguard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
have a look at this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kramer-Striker-Custom-S424CR-Electric-Guitar?sku=515348
Or, you can modify a standard strat by buying a couple pickups and a new pickguard.

that looks pretty interesting, just have a few questions...

with that low of a price tag, how well does it compare to a $400/$500 guitar? I'm upgrading from my starter, but i want something that has good quality, sound and build wise, so I won't have to upgrade again for a long time...

also, can kramer guitars be bought at sam ash/guitar center? I'd rather not buy off the internet if possible...

Thanks for the suggestion, and I appreciate anymore ideas!

edit: as far as moddifying a strat, the one i have now is pretty bad, and I'd rather buy a new strat, and then have to pay extra for the modifications. However, if this is the best alternative, someone plz say so...
Last edited by Cold Flame44 at Oct 6, 2008,

Agile AL-2500 White w/ 3 Humbuckers

+

(Invalid img)
GFS Vintage 59

+

(Invalid img)
GFS Mean 90 / Dream 90

+

(Invalid img)
GFS Fat PAF

=

$450
Including delivery.

Most versatile and sexy guitar ever & Epic Win.

/thread

You have no idea how long it took to compose this reply.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Oct 6, 2008,
I agree with OneBlackened. Get a kramer Striker S-424CR. S means STriker. 424 Means Quad Rail, Dual Rail, Quad Rail. CR means Custom and Rosewood.

Buy one of those, and with your left over cash, put a set of Seymour Duncan JB (Bridge) and '59 (Neck) in it. The middle pickup stock sounds alright, which you can always change for a little $50 Duncan SC later anyway. Hope this helped.

P.S. Yes, I know I'm gonna get flamed for telling him to buy JB's and a '59, but he said classic rock and jazz.
JMcG92--very interesting idea. I never even though of getting an HHH, and then putting in a humbucker size p-90. I'll definately concider, but I have a few questions:

How's the build quality of agile's? I have absoutly no experience with them. Also, obviously u like gfs pickups, but does anyone else have an opinion on them? again, i've heard very little about them.

btw, thanx for putting the effort into your post, i really appreciate it.

EclipseCT--I like the idea of upgrading the pickups on the kramer, again, I'll definatly look into it.

However, I still have another question: Is there anyway I could try these out b4 purchasing them online(stock versions, anyway)? That would be excellent...I plan on listening to sound bytes online, but playing them is definatly different that listening...

Thanx for the responses, and I'm open to more suggestions!
Cold Flame44-

From what I hear, Agiles are equal, if not superior to Epiphones. If I lived in the USA that would totally be my guitar. Unfortunately their shipping rates are quite steep outside America.

Yes, I love GFS. I have a Fat PAF in the bridge and a Dream 90 in the neck. Couldn't ask for better pickups for the price - what a steal! The PAF is very Zeppelin'y, maybe just a tad hotter. Its got a great punch behind it. The Dream is a little bit like a bassy strat neck pickup mixed with a fat P-90. From what I hear, the 59 is their best pickup, and that'll cover jazz easily!
If you made your ton knob push-pull to tap both humbuckers, just imagine the possibilities!
H / S
H-S / S-S
S
S-H / S-S
H / S

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
some godins are HSH without floyds... would be worth considering.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thepian948--you'll have to elaborate on which models you reccomend. Honestly, I have no experience with ravenwest(I feel like I'm saying that alot in this thread, lol)

JMcG92--thanx for ur continuous input, coil tap does seem like a cool idea, and the agile with the gfs pickups really do seem like a good suggestion, i'm definitly considering it and will look into it. Btw, too bad u don't live in the U.S...

Dave_MC--I did a quick check of musciansfriend for godins, and the only hsh's that weren't "scratch and dent" were over my price range. Maybe if you could elaborate on your suggestion?

Ok, so a recap, the top two suggestion so far were the kramer striker s-424 CR with upgraded pickups (seymour duncans), and the agile al2500 white w/3 pickups (gfs upgrades)
(for specifics on guitars/pickups, details and/or links are in other's previous posts)

Thanx for everyones contributions so far!

If anyone has any comments on the gear suggested, or any new suggestions, please share, I appreciate your input!
I think you should get a Les Paul and rout out a single coil slot in the middle.

It'll be original (plus I've wanted to see someone do this for the longest time) Do it!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
swap-meet--do u mean like mod a fender strat? I'd rather not have to modify the pickgaurd for a neck humbucker, but that options open, I guess. Also, using the bridge and neck pickup at the same time is preaty neat....are their any 3 pickup guitars where this option comes standard?

Raijouta--cool idea, but seems kinda compicated. I'd have to have a third pick up slot carved into the body of a les paul, right? (yikes...) That would be pretty orignal though

Thanx for the comments!
Quote by Cold Flame44
swap-meet--do u mean like mod a fender strat? I'd rather not have to modify the pickgaurd for a neck humbucker, but that options open, I guess. Also, using the bridge and neck pickup at the same time is preaty neat....are their any 3 pickup guitars where this option comes standard?

Raijouta--cool idea, but seems kinda compicated. I'd have to have a third pick up slot carved into the body of a les paul, right? (yikes...) That would be pretty orignal though

Thanx for the comments!

I think there is a strat model that is HSH....and I doubt that there is a guitar that you can use neck and bridge together (with 3 pickups)
Quote by Swap-Meet
I think there is a strat model that is HSH....and I doubt that there is a guitar that you can use neck and bridge together (with 3 pickups)

Actually, there's a Gibson SG-3 that has a turn-point knob rather than a pickup selector switch, and it does B-BM-BN-M-MN-N positions.

And Cold Flame, I don't think Guitar Center carries Kramer Guitars, unless they were sold there Used, so the Striker thing might not work out for you since you can't try it out. Ibanez RG's are the only other HSH's I can think of that you can find at your local guitar store. Now, depending on your budget, you could buy an RG350DX, and just replace the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB. The RG350DX is pretty nice for the money, but has the Edge III Tremolo instead of the ZR, but it's still good, just not really good.
Quote by Swap-Meet

I just skimmed the fender and guitar center website, and i didn't see any strats with HSH...

EclipseCT--isn't the edge III bridge sorta like a floyd rose knock off?(which i don't really want...) Also, I could probably do online, I would just perfer buying it at the store. However, with the low price of that Kramer, buying it online is less of an issue for me.

btw, I just though of this, how good are single size humbuckers? I could easily have them put in a HSS guitar, but I'm concerned with quality...
Quote by Swap-Meet

You can get a Deluxe players start and put hummies in the single spots and use the neck+bridge swicth, may not work, havent tried it.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Cold Flame44
Dave_MC--I did a quick check of musciansfriend for godins, and the only hsh's that weren't "scratch and dent" were over my price range. Maybe if you could elaborate on your suggestion?

i think it's the freeway and freeway classic- they may well be over budget though, i'm not too well up on USA pricing (sorry )...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
makeitwitchu--is there a version of the delux players strat that comes with humbucker(s)? Even a HSS is better than a SSS. Also, aren't they above my price range? a cheaper alternative with that pickup select feature would be neat...

Gettintheledout--i briefly looked at laguna's online, and didn't see any HSH.... If anyone knows about one with HSH, please share!

Dave_Mc--well, i found this online: http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Godin_Freeway_Classic_Black_Pearl_MN_with_Gig_Bag_2574925749.html It's $475, plus the site says it comes with a gigbag, etc...

Is this the guitar you were talking about? I know u thought it would be well above $500 US dollars, so i'm surprised to find it at that price...If that is it, anything you (or anybody else) could tell me about it would be great.

Thanx for all the replies so far!
yeah, that's the one, i thought you should be able to find them under budget in the USA, considering they're made in canada/USA, and they'd be only slightly over budget here in the UK...

EDIT: i can't tell you that much about it, i liked the one i tried (though the pickups weren't amazing, but then again few guitars will have amazing stock pickups at $500, and those that do might compromise a little on the quality of the construction and woodwork etc. in order to have nice pickups)... i've only tried one (in other words, it's possible i tried a particularly good or bad example), unfortunately, they aren't terribly common here...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?