I recently broke my high e string (2nd time, 1st time i broke it (a few months ago) i replaced all my standard cheap pacifica 112 strings with ernie ball 10's as i had had them on for about 8 months). so I'm going to get some more strings tomorrow (going to buy a few packs. heh) but i just noticed that the high GBE strings are blackish as opposed to the bright silver they were when new. is this just dirt? or corrosion? and would it be worth it to restring all of the strings on my guitar or just the 3 highest ones, or just the high e? i usually don't wipe down my strings after i play them or wash my hands/etc but wipe down the fretboard every week or so if dirt builds up.

thanks
Happens to my Ernies, just the way they go, I use Fast Fret and wash my hands before playing, keeps them fresh for much longer
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
wiping strings after playing helps too... (lasts my strings definately twice as long)
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

washing your hands before really helps get rid of the dirty skin on your fingers that rubs onto the strings and fret board

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Try the Elixir strings.. they are pricey, but definitely worth it. I've tried Dean Markley, D'addario, Earnie Ball and SIT, but they don't last as long or sound as great as Elixir. plus, i found it much easier to pinch harmonic with Elixir :P
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')
This is bunny. copy/paste him into your signature
and help him on his quest to take over the world!
Quote by virtussilex
Try the Elixir strings.. they are pricey, but definitely worth it. I've tried Dean Markley, D'addario, Earnie Ball and SIT, but they don't last as long or sound as great as Elixir. plus, i found it much easier to pinch harmonic with Elixir :P

Harmonics are all about technique, not strings.

Get some D'Addarios.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by DespisedIcon
Harmonics are all about technique, not strings.

Get some D'Addarios.

That's all you need baby.
get dean markley or d'addarios. and some fast fret cleaner. and the black stuff is dirt and grim. and need to put new strings on every month or two.
Quote by pak1351
Any string is going to be ruined after 8 months

not true. the guitarist in my band has had the same strings for over a year, and they are still as shiny as new strings...and he plays daily.

but mine get nasty after a few weeks
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112