I want to trademark a band name, and I've heard if you send the name through the post to yourself it trademarks/copyrights it , is this true? if not, any other ways?
Trademark and copyright are two utterly different things.
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
you put the little c somewhere and the year and hopes no one notices
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
Quote by metaldud536
Like this?

?

SHIT! I can't say "Like this?" any more?

Hands over some E-Cash...
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
^ what ?

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Is it possible to trademark a band name? I only ask because very few bands seem to do it.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
www.copyright.gov

Quote by Velvet_Craig
Is it possible to trademark a band name? I only ask because very few bands seem to do it.

actually a lot of bands do it, probably most to all bands do it. The reason it's "blink-182" instead of just "blink" is because they almost got sued because a band (from Ireland I think?) was already using blink.
Quote by GNiCk89
The other day my girlfriend called me a pedophile.

I said, "Damn, that's a big-ass word for an 8 year-old."
Quote by Velvet_Craig

It is not possible. I know there has been 3 bands called Nirvana. You can't trade mark the name, but you can trademark the logo.
Don't try engaging me
The vaguest of shrugs
The prescription drugs
You'll never find
A person inside

Quote by saphrax
I agree with This End Up
they dont trademark it. but when they become famous or whatever, they are protected by copyright.

and copyright it, dont trademark it, as The Hurt Within said, they are two different things
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Worry more about your music when you do make a demo or album. Be sure if nobody has signed you to copyright all your lyrics and sheet music or it could be stolen.
Quote by Sloane
www.copyright.gov

actually a lot of bands do it, probably most to all bands do it. The reason it's "blink-182" instead of just "blink" is because they almost got sued because a band (from Ireland I think?) was already using blink.

A band called 'Blue' tried to do the same to the boy band 'Blue', and that got nowhere.
"It's not nice when people call you darling and that"
Quote by metaldud536
Like this?

?

no..

like this..

Quote by sam b
no..

like this

Quote by sam b
no..

like this..

Quote by sam b
no..

like this

see
Quote by thedudemeister
they dont trademark it. but when they become famous or whatever, they are protected by copyright.

and copyright it, dont trademark it, as The Hurt Within said, they are two different things

you don't have to be famous to have copyright. ANYONE can register and copyright a work at the copyright office, it's simple, it's online, and it only cost 45 bucks a work, which can be something like one song or a collection of songs.

Copyright has nothing to do with being famous.
Quote by GNiCk89
The other day my girlfriend called me a pedophile.

I said, "Damn, that's a big-ass word for an 8 year-old."
whats your band name?

Please tell me so i can steal it and pretend you dont exist

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Quote by Sloane
you don't have to be famous to have copyright. ANYONE can register and copyright a work at the copyright office, it's simple, it's online, and it only cost 45 bucks a work, which can be something like one song or a collection of songs.

Copyright has nothing to do with being famous.

That's not what I meant.

It's a good idea to get one though, regardless of whether your famous or not, to get a copyright on your name, logo or songs. Just incase of plagiarism.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Isn't trademarking for a product rather than a work of art or a media creation? Say for example, you can copyright the recipe of a drink but the trademark would be of the actual drink?

Oh I'm confusing myself.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
You could do a poor man's copyright, which is when you seal the thing you want to copyright in an envelope with a newspaper from the day you mail it, then mail it to yourself and put it in a safe place. Then, if someone starts to use material that you wrote as their own, and making a profit from it, you can take them to court for not paying royalties to you.

I don't know if it works for band names, though.
Quote by justen23
I made fun of the national guard in front of some kid that was in it. He tried to kill me but failed just like they always do.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Haha, ass herpes.
"According to the US Copyright Office FAQ, copyright "protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

While copyright covers expressions of ideas, trademark covers logos and brand names. The US Patent and Trademark Office says that "A trademark includes any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination, used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods. In short, a trademark is a brand name."

Or from this site: http://www.legalzoom.com/trademarks-faq/trademark-versus-copyright-protection.html

Copyrights are a form of protection for the authors of “original works of authorship,” including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works.

A trademark protects a word, phrase, symbol or design or a combination of these, that identifies and distinguishes the goods or services of one person or company from those of others.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.