Hi,
Im playing a Gibson Explorer and a Marshall MG100DFX, but I want to put other pickups in my guitar.
The main music Im playing is Metal, so I wanted to get a Seymoure Duncan tb-4 on the bridge, but which pickup should I get on the neck?

I forgot to say that my 500t pickup is rusting.
Last edited by Head.Banger at Oct 7, 2008,
new amp.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by BulletzAreScene
+1

+1,000,000,000,000

the pickups that come in the explorer are already pretty hot, getting a new amp will greatly improve your tone over the mg you currently "rock"

seriously... New.... Amp....
not to beat a dead horse or anything but a new amp will improve tone more. or, if you want a cheaper solution, even new/different speakers will improve it. if you're happy with your sound then don't change anything, a little rust on your pickups shouldn't really affect it much. you can also clean it if you're feeling brave.

rust on a guitar looks cool!

too bad it was designed that way...
Quote by Head.Banger
i mean the metallic pieces on the pickup, they arent matched, if you mean that

what do you mean. they aren't matched?

does the rust look like this?

that's my guitar and the rust doesn't affect the sound at all. i have no problems with it. the rust was also on it when i got it, and it's 10 years old, so...but then again i've got another guitar with the same pickup and they sound pretty similar. so if it sounds fine, don't worry about it. and for all the naysayers about the mg series, i used one for a few years until i switched amps. it's not the best, but it's not the worst either. it's just another affordable solid-state series that people talk bad about because marshall generally makes legendary tube amps. the only reason i switched was because i didn't get the sound i wanted out if it, after i became more tonally conscious.

if you're in the solid-state (or otherwise budget) market, i recommend checking out the ibanez toneblaster series, either the newer toneblaster x or the first generation. you can probably get the first generation fairly cheaply on ebay or at a pawn shop. i was so happy with my 2x12 combo that i considered making it a half-stack, when i found the head at a pawn shop, lol. it's a very versatile amp, can go from indie rock to screaming modern metal with just a turn of a knob.
I wouldn't use the Toneblaster either.

Why do we not like the MG? No, it's not one Marshall's "legendary tube amps". But that's not why. It's an overpriced amp. You pay a premium for it because of the name - and you're not getting much. In the same price range, there are many amps that sound better. The MG has a buzzy and lifeless distortion, there's no two ways around it.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I wouldn't use the Toneblaster either.

Why do we not like the MG? No, it's not one Marshall's "legendary tube amps". But that's not why. It's an overpriced amp. You pay a premium for it because of the name - and you're not getting much. In the same price range, there are many amps that sound better. The MG has a buzzy and lifeless distortion, there's no two ways around it.

actually the only way i really got the sound i wanted from the mg was using the amp modeling on my pod, lol.
The Gibson would need the Sh-4 not the TB-4 to have the correct spacing. The Gibson 496R in the neck of my Flying V sounds better than the Seymour Duncan SH-2 Jazz model in my LTD. I would leave the stock neck pickup in it personally. It should have the 496R like my V does. The SD JB is a good pickup, but you could get another 500T (without rust). A new amp wouldn't hurt either.