I'm a total beginner and i'm thinking of buying the epiphone DR-100 acoustic. I know it's not the best but is it o.k. for learning. Does it stay in tune ect. I don't want to spend alot in case i find i'm totally tone deaf or something. If i get good later i'll buy something better. So if you have this guitar or know something about it give me your opinion, thanks.
If you're a beginner it's worth getting a guitar like that, and that's not a bad starter guitar, but look into some Yamaha's if you want something that you would play when you get technical, too.
I started playing about a month ago, and I bought an Epiphone DR-100. The only other guitar I've played is my friends Yamaha FG730S, and I have to say it's easier to play, sounds better and stays in tune longer, but it's also more than double the price of my guitar.

I really am enjoying learning to play, and so part of me does wish I picked up the Seagull S6 I was looking at, but at the same time if I decide I don't want to play anymore in a month or two, I won't feel bad about letting the Epiphone sit in my basement.

Bottom line: if you're just trying out learning the guitar as a hobby to see if you like it, get the Epiphone. If you're serious about learning to play, spend a bit more money now and get something that will last you longer.
all yamahas are good beginner guitars. they're easy to play and usually sound ok.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i had a yamaha c40 few years back

its a good guitar, easy to learn on, doesnt get out of tune , body is perfect till now
good resonance and smooth playing without buzzing

most importantly try your guitar before buying it

look for the buzz-free guitars and the rest is usually OK,maybe you could try playing any guitar and see whether you like it before spending actual cash on a guitar
it'd be a waste if you dont like it but you already bought it
Quote by captivate
all yamahas are good beginner guitars. they're easy to play and usually sound ok.

sound ok to you sound GREATTTTT to me
I have the Epiphone DR-100, and I love it! I received it a year ago for Christmas as my first acoustic guitar, and for the price, it is a very solid guitar.

One thing about the DR-100 compared to some other acoustics in the similar price range is that it's somewhat more "harder" to play. Kinda hard to explain, but I also have a Yamaha FG700S that I received as a B-day gift a few months ago, and it is much easier to play compared to the Epi. So that may or may not be a good thing, it was kinda good for me since it really helped me build strength, and when I play my Yamaha or my friend's Fender acoustic, things are so much easier.

And I actually prefer the sound in my DR-100 over the FG700S, as it produces a more rich and full bassy sound.

Both guitars you're looking at are solid choices. Try to play them both at a guitar store or something, but if you can't, just choose the one that you think will suit you better.
Are the upgraded Yamaha fg series worth paying the extra money?
How much of a difference is there between a FG700s and the FG750?
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Not too much.

The main differences are the side/back material(which is laminated anyway... so whatever.)
The other difference is the visual appointments.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.