OK, I want a guitar with a fixed bridge, etc. And I've already gotten it down to these two and I'm not sure what the differences are other than the way the designs are:

RG3EXFM1
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481914

RG3EXQM1
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784

Do you guys know if the pickups are different and if the neck on the FM1 is a wizard II?

Thanks!
idk about the neck but most likely the pick-ups are exactly the same cuz its a factory model if tht helps at all
gear:
squier fat strat
fender 15 watt amp
yamaha f310
ibanez DS7(distortion)
Quote by humandragon
idk about the neck but most likely the pick-ups are exactly the same cuz its a factory model if tht helps at all

You sure, the FM1 is a IBZ V7/V8? The other says EMG, I'm not sure if those are both EMG though.
Quote by Cat says what
RG3EXQM1 is what i'd go with. but that personal preferance lol.

Is there a difference between the two though?
looks like quilted maple top versus flamed. the pickups might be different too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dont get either guitars cause both are made of basswood, which is really cheap and really shite, and give horrible tone, even with the best amp it will produce bad tone espically on solos. Luckliy i got a guitar made out of alderwood without knowing it lol
and its goooooood stufffffff
Quote by lethaldeath
You sure, the FM1 is a IBZ V7/V8? The other says EMG, I'm not sure if those are both EMG though.

DESIGNED by EMG, theres a difference, tried the RGA series? or even a RGT42 fixed?
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
Quote by Dave_Mc
looks like quilted maple top versus flamed. the pickups might be different too.

Any idea on the neck?
Quote by markazord
DESIGNED by EMG, theres a difference, tried the RGA series? or even a RGT42 fixed?

Nope, so does that mean that the FM1 pickups are different from the IBZ 7/8?
Quote by di$TOrTed
the v7/v8 will be slightly nicer than the ibz/emg ones in my opinion

Got any idea where the specs are and the name of the EMG ones?
Quote by 2mins2midnite
dont get either guitars cause both are made of basswood, which is really cheap and really shite, and give horrible tone, even with the best amp it will produce bad tone espically on solos. Luckliy i got a guitar made out of alderwood without knowing it lol

Basswood is good.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by lethaldeath
Got any idea where the specs are and the name of the EMG ones?

Not really sorry. I have an RGR320EX and it has the designed by EMG pickups. They sound ok but i think the v7/v8s are nicer

I think the EMG ones are basically EMG HZs
Quote by lethaldeath
Any idea on the neck?

not sure; have you tried the ibanez website? i generally prefer manufacturers' websites to online stores, as they're less likely to have mistakes...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by di$TOrTed
Not really sorry. I have an RGR320EX and it has the designed by EMG pickups. They sound ok but i think the v7/v8s are nicer

I think the EMG ones are basically EMG HZs

Such a hard choice >.<

I have a good friend, who has something like 6 years of experience, and he really suggests the RG3EXQM1 to me since he has one himself and has way more expensive guitars, yet still uses this one.

Well any idea on the neck? On musician's friend it says simply U, is that a wizard II?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not sure; have you tried the ibanez website? i generally prefer manufacturers' websites to online stores, as they're less likely to have mistakes...

Yup, they're not up there for some reason.
they should both have wizard II necks

all the RGs in that price range have it i don't think ibanez would go out of their way to make a different neck for one model
Quote by 2mins2midnite

yeah, because steve vai is known for his crappy tone, as is Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani.

especially their solo tones.

don't discount basswood because it's on some cheap guitars. there are cheap guitars made from most woods.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by di$TOrTed
they should both have wizard II necks

all the RGs in that price range have it i don't think ibanez would go out of their way to make a different neck for one model

Probably right, but I mean why does everywhere say U as neck shape.

Anyway here are links and specs if anyone can figure out what exactly the names of the pickups are and if the FM1 really has a wizard II.

Ibanez RG3EXFM1 Electric Guitar Features:

* Body Type: Solid
* Body Wood: Basswood
* Top Wood: Flamed Maple
* Neck Joint: Bolt On
* Neck Wood: Maple 3pc
* Fretboard: Bound Rosewood
* Neck Shape: U
* # Frets: 24
* Nut Width: 43mm
* Fretboard Radius: 400mmr
* Bridge: Fixed
* Pickup Bridge: Ibz V-8
* Pickup Neck: Ibz V-7
* Tuners: Die-Cast
* Finish: Transparent Gloss

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481914

Ibanez RG3EXQM1 Quilted Maple Top Electric Guitar Features:

* String thru basswood body
* 3-piece maple neck
* Wizard II neck profile
* 25-1/2" scale
* 24 jumbo frets
* Rosewood fingerboard with shark tooth inlay
* Quilted maple burst with matching headstock
* String thru fixed bridge
* Designed by EMG neck pickup
* Designed by EMG bridge pickup
* Tone and volume controls
* 3-way pickup switch

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG3EXQM1-Quilted-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519784
If you go by the way Ibanez does their model numbers than they both have Wizard IIs. The only difference is the FM1 and the QM1 indicating Flame and Quilt.

They are both RG3EX models so they should be exactly the same. Unfortunately I can't explain the pickup difference, I think the V7s and V8s are being replaced on newer models with the EMGs so maybe the FM came out first? But regardless since the model name is the same they will be the same guitar with the exception of pickups and the way the body looks. Same everything else
Quote by di$TOrTed
If you go by the way Ibanez does their model numbers than they both have Wizard IIs. The only difference is the FM1 and the QM1 indicating Flame and Quilt.

They are both RG3EX models so they should be exactly the same. Unfortunately I can't explain the pickup difference, I think the V7s and V8s are being replaced on newer models with the EMGs so maybe the FM came out first? But regardless since the model name is the same they will be the same guitar with the exception of pickups and the way the body looks. Same everything else

Alright thanks a ton, any idea now which pickups would be better for metal, just metal not vestitality (sorry spelling >.<.
Quote by lethaldeath
Alright thanks a ton, any idea now which pickups would be better for metal, just metal not vestitality (sorry spelling >.<.

I think the v7/v8 may be a tad brighter but I don't think you'd really notice a difference.

So it's basically preference.
Quote by 2mins2midnite

What a dumbass comment. There is nothing wrong with Basswood, there may be a difference between a quality piece of Basswood and a cheap piece but only the same as you would get with Alder. Why not put your money where your mouth is an post an mp3 on your profile page and we'll compare your Alder versus my Basswood?
Quote by lethaldeath
Yup, they're not up there for some reason.

ah, dang.

Quote by Lemoninfluence
yeah, because steve vai is known for his crappy tone, as is Paul Gilbert and Joe Satriani.

don't discount basswood because it's on some cheap guitars. there are cheap guitars made from most woods.

agreed. basswood is (according to his site) john suhr's favourite wood...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

I thought Evo was made of alder? Or am I thinking of something totally different...
BUt +1
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Quote by lookie here
I thought Evo was made of alder? Or am I thinking of something totally different...
BUt +1

a few of the JEMs have alder bodies but there are basswood jems aswell.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 7, 2008,
^ FLO is basswood iirc. I think his GMC was too.

I had V7/V8 pups in my RG1570 and i didnt really like them, they were kinda undefined. Never tried the Designed by EMG pickups though. if you can, stop by your local store and try and test them out. The wizard necks arent for eveyone, anyways. So you might save yourself some hastle if you do try em out.
I don't really like the V7/V8's compared to a good set of DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans, but they won't cost much to replace. Also I agree, the wizard neck isn't for everyone I found the JEM neck particularly wide, not sure if that was different? My JS has a very comfortable neck, feels more like a Strat.
jem neck is wider than the js, i think, so that makes sense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitarnoize
That settles it for me John Suhr is the master luthier, in my opinion.

Ah shucks thanks!
One clarification is that there was a period when certain off shore companies used Basswood that questionable origins and probably was not American Basswood that I love at all. American Basswod sound very nice sweet and thick. For more low end punch I would still prefer Alder though.
Hey John! So when are those Suhr Moderns going to hit the Australian shores, can't wait to try one of those beauties! Particularly like the Root Beer drip finish with the zebra pickups and the trans charcoal!
The V7 V8 pickups arent to bad, they sound different to most other pickups, i have an rg1570 and an RG321 with Seymour Duncans (SH2 &SH 4) and yeah the seymour duncans sound far superior, but on the neck pickup, the v8 has this sound that i really like for playing mad distortion, i honestly prefer it for a few applications to the SD p ups. Also i have a g400 with EMG's, and i prefer the sound of both my ibanez guitars to the epiphone. I guess im not an EMG man, or maybe for some reason my EPI just sounds shit. I used to be an EMG man until i heard quality passive pickups

Even though i have never heard these Ibanez "EMG Designed" pickups, i would probably steer towards the v7, v8's over the emg's because i know that their not to bad, but there is a high chance these EMG designed could be garbage and very cheap to produce
RG's & Mesa's