Page 1 of 2
Hi there guys,

i would like to know if you can help me to decide which guitar should i buy...

I've always played some blues, rock music but i want to play something harder...Killswitch Engage style and stuff like that...

I want to spend something like...350/400€ (500$)...and i have already some ideas..but i would like to know if you know more options.

Here are my options:

- Ibanez SZR720

- Ibanez S320

- Ibanez SZR520

- Schester 006 Extreme

What do you think?

I want to buy the Emg81 and 85 too...

Hugs
Last edited by ZooMorphic at Oct 6, 2008,
If you want to have the floating tremolo, the ibanez S320 is a good choice. Otherwise i would recommend the Schecter if you plan on buying the EMG 81/85 combo.

What amp are you using currently?
Quote by HighPotency

What amp are you using currently?

I have a Line 6 Spider II..
Hmm, the EMGs will not really accomplish what they're made for with that amp, which is that they're supposed to push the tubes a bit more than your average passive pickups apparently. You might want to look into some decent passive pickups instead. EMGs are fairly expensive too.
Well...i know that this amp is not great..but if i get a good guitar with some good pick ups for this kind of music, a new amp can be my next acquisition!

And the important thing now is the guitar...i like the Schecter design very much...but i've never played with one Schecter...

That Ibanez guitars have a quick neck...they give you a good and fast play... Is that Schecter similar?
What kind of guitar do you have now? For the most part you will hear much more improvement via a better amp
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
I have a Fender Strat LiteAsh and an Ibanez ARC100...

As you see...these are not metal guitars... For this music style i need a good guitar and as i said before, a new amp will be my next acquisition, so let's forget the amp issue .

Which should i buy?
Dude, any of those Ibanez S-Series would be good. I do suggest the ones with the better PuPs like AHs, and Infinity.

You can always swap them with DiMarzio's

Go to the shop and try them all.
Quote by jsantos
Dude, any of those Ibanez S-Series would be good. I do suggest the ones with the better PuPs like AHs, and Infinity.

You can always swap them with DiMarzio's

Go to the shop and try them all.

As i said before i will buy a EMG81 and 85...so pickups are not the main problem...i would like to understand if there are any different in the material quality, in the manufacture, etc... Because i really dont understand much about guitars..i just play them

(Há uma boa probabilidade de seres português, portanto, aí vai um abraço [] )
that budget doesn't include the cost of the EMGs, right? if not, you could probably get a guitar which already has them stock (since EMGs are so expensive here in europe)... washburn X50ProFE, for example (you do have several options though).

also, your amp is at least as important as the guitar in getting that KSE tone...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's really an option...but is that a cool guitar? I've never played in a Washburn...

Do you know any more options like that?

And about the amp...which one do you think is good for the style? (a cheap one please )
Quote by ZooMorphic
As i said before i will buy a EMG81 and 85...so pickups are not the main problem...i would like to understand if there are any different in the material quality, in the manufacture, etc... Because i really dont understand much about guitars..i just play them

(Há uma boa probabilidade de seres português, portanto, aí vai um abraço [] )

OK I own 2 S-Series guitars from Ibanez, a S470 and SC-Classic.

The S-Series guitars' main design feature is the thin body. Some of the S-series, like the S470 is almost less than half the the thickness of a standard RG style Ibanez body.

So this model is thin and lightweight but it doesn't compromise the thick tone you can get out of it. It's a versatile guitar and can cove most styles.

Some are made with alder, mahogany, and basswood.

You may want to go to a store and try them out to see which wood you like the best.

DiMarzio's are better than EMG's when it comes to versatility. Try the ToneZones, PAF Pros , FRED and Evolution PuPs
Thank you for the explanation!

Unfortunately i dont have the possibility to try all the kinds of guitar i would like...and i will have to buy these new one through the internet...so i cant try them...

I know that EMG are not so versatile...but just for this kind of sound, i think EMG's have a stronger sound...dont you think? Well...i like EMG's a lot..
Last edited by ZooMorphic at Oct 7, 2008,
Look into blackouts. They generally have a less compressed sound and i think they have better sounding cleans. They also have less buzz when they're around computer monitors, fluorescent lights, etc.
Dude. In my perspective, after owning and playing an S-series and also a Schecter Diamond tribal I choose the Ibanez over it. Good luck on your purchase.
Having bought an Ibanez less that a week ago, i truly recommend them. The neck plays really really nicely, and sounds great too.

Mines an RGR420ex, look it up if you like...the price range is similar.
Gibson SG
Ibanez RGR420ex
Marshall JTM30
Slash SW95 Crybaby
Boss DS1/DD7
Digitech Bad Monkey

Quote by ZooMorphic
That's really an option...but is that a cool guitar? I've never played in a Washburn...

Do you know any more options like that?

And about the amp...which one do you think is good for the style? (a cheap one please )

i haven't tried the x50pro with the emgs, but i've tried the one with the duncans, and it's a nice guitar. assuming the one with emgs is more or less the same guitar except for the pickups, it should be nice too.

problem is, the best amps for that modern high gain tone are expensive...

what kind of budget are you talking? and what's your current amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you Mwoit...i really like the Schecter Hellraiser...

Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried the x50pro with the emgs, but i've tried the one with the duncans, and it's a nice guitar. assuming the one with emgs is more or less the same guitar except for the pickups, it should be nice too.

problem is, the best amps for that modern high gain tone are expensive...

what kind of budget are you talking? and what's your current amp?

My budget is around 650$..but if i cant get any good guitar with that budget...it can extend to 800$...something like that...

My amp is a Line 6 Spider II ..
yeah, the amp is probably the problem. only problem being, to get something a lot better, will be a lot of money. you could get something like a roland cube, but that's more of a step sideways than an upgrade- better for metal, IMO, if you were trying to decide on whether to get the spider or the cube, but debatable if it's worth upgrading from a spider to a cube (if that makes sense). the other thing is, the spider has an awful lot of gain, and is a modelling amp, it's debatable if you need EMGs...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As i said before, a new amp will be the next acquisition, but for now i just want to think in the guitar..i just want to buy a good one, which can give me a good performance in this metal style..

Im trying to understand which one is better: Ibanez SZR720, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser or Schecter 006 Extreme...

They have very different prices...and if i could get a good guitar without spending all my money i could buy the new amp in a near future...
yeah, that's a good point, the only thing is you don't want to cheap out too much on the guitar either... it's really up to you to be honest. i know that in the UK, the washburn is one of the best-value options, but that might not be true in other places... for some reason we just seem to get a good deal on them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well...ok...so...let's see..i can get the Ibanez SZR720 for 413 € (584$)...and the Schecter 006 Extreme for 350€ (495$)...without shipping costs...what do you think?

(by the way...despite the design...which are the main differences between the SZR520 and the SZR720? The SZR520 is a litle bit cheaper - 323€ [456$] )
do you have a link to the 720? i can't find it on the ibanez site... EDIT: just found the link in your first post, they look to be the same except for the cosmetics, but there's no way of knowing if the 720 has slightly better attention to detail, quality control etc. without trying one...

are you in the UK?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No... Portugal.. And i cant find any of these guitars here...

So it's a little bit difficult for me to try them... :/

When i finally choose...i will buy it through the net..i have no more options..that's why i need to be so sure..
ah, ok. yeah, that's a problem.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im in the s*** lol...

If you were me...what would you do?

I would like to thank you a lot for beeing so helpful dude..
i'm not sure, the problem is i haven't tried any of those either, i'd be basing my opinions on other ibanez szs and schecter models which i've tried... i'd personally get the washburn x50pro, assuming gak would ship to portugal, and if they did, for a non-extortionate rate. which they might not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well...i can get the X50Pro for 580€ (£ 465)... with other pickups...150€ (£120) more... May be its a little higher...

I think i really have to choose one of those that i mentioned before...because they are cheaper and give me the oportunity to buy the pickups without no money problem, and i can acquire the new amp sooner.

Do you prefer Ibanez or Schecter?
well, the advantage of the washburn is that it already has pretty nice pickups- they wouldn't be my first choice for KSE, but they're nice pickups. It's possible that you could sell them on to get a bit of money back. There's also a version of the X50pro which comes with EMGs, so you wouldn't have to swap the pickups (problem being it's a bit more expensive than the x50pro with duncans however, it's not as much more expensive, at least here in the UK, as 2 EMGs would be).

I'm honestly not sure about the ibanez versus the schecter. out of the 3 you've listed, i'd probably go with the hellraiser, but that's almost solely because it already has the pickups you want, and emgs are extremely expensive in europe. i do think it's a higher-end model than the 006 extreme, but as i haven't tried either, i don't know for sure. also, i'd add that since neck shapes etc. are very personal, it's entirely possible that you may prefer the ibanez neck to the shecter neck (or vice-versa)... that's not what you want to hear, i know, but it's the truth, at the end of the day if you're buying something you haven't tried, there's always some risk... i've bought stuff i haven't tried before, too, you can minimise the risk by doing as much research as possible (both online and in trying models as similar as possible to the one you want), but i don't think it's possible to completely remove all risk... EDIT: the only slight advantage being, if you can't try either, there's no way that you would know that you prefer the ibanez neck... of course, this only works if you like both necks, but prefer one. if you hate one, you'll know that whether or not you've tried the other.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well Dave_Mc...i have to thank you very very much...you are a really cool guy ...

I found this: Washburn - 491€! (£379.99)...and in the most websites it cost 695€ (£558) or 830€ (£666)!!

I just need your agrrement! ahah!
yeah, assuming it plays as well as the duncan-loaded one i tried, go for it! just make sure they ship to portugal before you get too excited. EDIT: just to let you know, it doesn't have any fretboard inlays, if that's a problem (it has ones down the side of the neck, so it's not like you're completely lost, but it might affect you if you aren't used to it).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2