I've just been wanting to record some mp3s... y'know... just for profiles and such, but i don't have a mic.
I'm planning on getting a Shure SM57. Now, is that all i'll need?

I'm not looking to get the ULTIMATE recording quality, i just want something that's pretty good sounding that i can just play around with.

Thanks!
O O

___
I'm not looking to get the ULTIMATE recording quality,

.. (insert smartass metallica cd refrence here)

not funny iknow ok
My computer has a 1/8" mic input... will that work?

If not... what would be good to connect the mic too?
(i'm a TERRIBLE n00b at this stuff. Lol.)
O O

___
Yeah, you're definitely going to need an interface to plug the mic into the computer if you're planning to do direct line-in recording. Personally, I use a Tascam US-122L. It's great quality, very portable, easy to use and not too expensive. Plus it comes with the Cubase LE recording software. Anything like this should do the job for you. Enjoy!
WE MOCK WHAT WE DO NOT UNDERSTAND

"Know wha' ah sayin' ?"
Quote by metallik1013
Yeah, you're definitely going to need an interface to plug the mic into the computer if you're planning to do direct line-in recording. Personally, I use a Tascam US-122L. It's great quality, very portable, easy to use and not too expensive. Plus it comes with the Cubase LE recording software. Anything like this should do the job for you. Enjoy!

I mic wouldn't be direct in... Anyways buy something like a line 6 tone port they're the same price as an sm57 but you just plug your guitar straight into it. That's the easiest/cheapest/best sound way to do it.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
what my band used to record was actually a video setting on a camera, then i ripped the sound from there using audacity and it worked out pretty well
if you want an example (and i swear that this isnt just a desperate plea for more listeners) then just listen to one of the songs here
www.myspace.com/holyyetti
okay, i'll look at those Line 6 things... that Tascam thing was expensive (well, on MY budget, ...and compared to buying a mic, too.)

How does that tone port thing compare to a real amp?
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
okay, i'll look at those Line 6 things... that Tascam thing was expensive (well, on MY budget, ...and compared to buying a mic, too.)

How does that tone port thing compare to a real amp?

well it'll all be software that changes your tone. It'll sound allright but may have a bit of a digital sound kinda like using a digitech multifx pedal. Considering your budget/knowledge of recording you'll get a pretty good sound.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x