Page 1 of 2
So i have a new job that gives as much overtime as you want, and is pretty damn easy so i'm thinking about pretty much living there and save up money for a brand new guitar. At first i was looking at some Epiphone Les Pauls and was alright with some of the flaws over their Gibson superiors, but now that i can earn more money i'm thinking about getting a guitar that will last and last and grow with me musically.

I was looking at getting a Gibson Les Paul Studio, and maybe a Traditional if i think that the extra money is worth the extra attention to detail.

Before this post i saw a large thread about the mistakes Gibson is making, and i'm starting to wonder if a Gibson tone is really all that it's made out to be, or maybe i should be looking towards other areas.

I'm a big classic rock/metal player so a Les Paul fits the style, sound, and flexibility i like, and is played by a lot of rock gods, so what do you all think about the situation?
Gibsons are majorly overpriced, so you're largely paying for the name. They are good guitars, though, just try it out in store to make sure it's really worth what you'll be paying for.

Also, there's no use in owning a Gibson if you have a bad amp, either. (Though I splurged on a nice guitar with my shoddy amp, but whatever.) What's your situation with that?
Quote by -Blue-
Gibsons are majorly overpriced, so you're largely paying for the name. They are good guitars, though, just try it out in store to make sure it's really worth what you'll be paying for.

Agreed. I have 2 Gibsons and I'm not disappointed at all. They do exactly what I want them too. The best way to solve this dilemma is to go to as many music stores as you can and play all the Gibsons you can. Then you can decide if its worth the money and buy the best one you found.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
My suggestion (assuming you have an amp that deserves a quality guitar).

Define a budget for yourself. Go to the music store and literally try out everything that is within the budget.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
look at PRS's and PRS SE's also = good all round guitars from what i've heard

but yeh like -blue- said try guitars out in store first really, thats only fullproof way to decide really =/
Happy birthday Slash
Quote by Shred-Hed
What do you think the odds are that he'll read this...?

Quote by TJ1991
A lot higher than Chinese Democracy ever being released.
No point getting a Gibson Studio. At that price range you could get a higher-end Tokai, mid-range ESP or an Epiphone Elitist, which will all be better quality than the Studio (if you're lucky, they can be as good as GIbson Standards), but won't cost any more.

Or just save up extra and get a Standard/Classic/Traditional - they're all the same quality basically and all roughly the same price, just depends what finish and neck profile you want.

Really any American or Japanese LP that costs in the region of a grand or more is going to be good. It's just the cheap Gibsons (like Studios), or other Asian copies (lots of Chinese copies around, which are mostly rubbish) which should be avoided.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah, look at a PRS (also pretty overpriced though). but i personally have a Gibson sg and i love it. yeah, it was freaking expensive but if i had to do it over again i would buy the same guitar; although overpriced you're still getting an amazing guitar.

my advice; if you want this guitar to last with you as a musician over the years and grow with you, get a Gibson because they've already proved they can last and in ten or twenty years you're not going to care what you payed for it.
Right now i have a Marshall MG15DX (which i hear is pretty much the same as Gibson as you pay for name) and i'm pretty happy with it.

After the guitar upgrade i'm saving for a good half stack.

Right now i'm playing through an Ibanez RG320DX that i bought at a pawn shop and fixed up. It's in decent shape but there's some stuff missing and every time i play it i feel that it's okay but not worth what i paid for to be missing parts.

So i want a damn good quality guitar to last and last, that's what i hear from the Gibson Les Paul, but i'm sure any guitar that recieves proper care will last forever too.
sounds to me like your dream guitar is a gibson les paul.....if your willing to drop the cake and it is your dream guitar,...by all means get the real deal!!....like the others have stated try out as many as u can,....if you buy a copy you will regret it..and there are some fine copies available,...but nothing..and i mean nothing has the soul of a gibson les paul!!...its not a mistake that rock and roll is full of them,.....how many times have you seen a "fake": les paul in the hands of a respected rock and roller?
You really want a Gibson Les Paul? Go for it. But Maybe you should rethink the "New" bit.

There are great used guitars out there, check craigslist, check your local guitar store, ask friends. I understand you want a baby that will grow with you, but often, you can find a used guitar that's more attractive to you than a new one ever would be.

Music's about love, when you go fall in love with a girl, it's not like you guys have been growing up together since birth, and if you had, would you even wanna get with that chick? You have to venture out into the world to find love, that can be true in guitars as well as chicks, try out some used guitars, you might get lucky.
One of the first times i went to guitar center instead of some other local music shops that only let you play stuff under $400, i got to experience what real quality guitars are supposed to feel and sound like. Both me and a friend just fell in love with the Les Pauls and i've tested out quite a few. I enjoyed them a lot but since my budget was pretty low i decided to block out the sounds of the gibson les paul and try to find a good epiphone les paul.

As much as i would play an epiphone, the only one i ever really loved was some standard ebony les paul that had some great great sound, and all the other ones i played were so-so, never matching the gibsons.

So now that i have a good bit more income i can save for one, but my next trip to guitar center is going to include a lot more of the high end to see whether or not the gibson is still my dream guitar :P

As for amps, i'm thinking of a Marshall half-stack, or maybe some other smaller tube amp to get a really good sound from a real quality guitar. And if i decide i wanna save up a whole lot of money again, i might try to get the JSX peavy amp.
Quote by Kant
Right now i have a Marshall MG15DX

Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

I'm just going to throw this out there, you probably don't need a half stack and with the money you would spend on it, there are plenty of good tube combos out there. Unless you don't care about price and save up for a nice Marshall Half Stack
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
I do not know anyone that has a Gibson Les Paul and hates it. Most love them.

I have a 68 Custom, black with three humbuckers, and an iced tea sunburst 2008 Traditional. I chose the Traditional over the Standard so play both and see which you prefer tone wise and neck wise if the Standards all have the 60s neck where you try it out. The 2008 Traditionals are very much worth the money and actually a little cheaper than the Standards.
Quote by MrFlibble
No point getting a Gibson Studio. At that price range you could get a higher-end Tokai, mid-range ESP or an Epiphone Elitist, which will all be better quality than the Studio (if you're lucky, they can be as good as GIbson Standards), but won't cost any more.

Or just save up extra and get a Standard/Classic/Traditional - they're all the same quality basically and all roughly the same price, just depends what finish and neck profile you want.

Really any American or Japanese LP that costs in the region of a grand or more is going to be good. It's just the cheap Gibsons (like Studios), or other Asian copies (lots of Chinese copies around, which are mostly rubbish) which should be avoided.

I've been working in a guitar shop part-time (while working full time and feeding a wife and kid) for over 15 years. I do it for the fun and the fact that I get to try out all kinds of guitars and gear. People who continue to say that Studio's are crap don't really know what they are talking about. It seems like you are very knowledgeable Mr. Flibble so i am not sure where this info is coming from. I would even have to say that in the last couple of years Gibson's quality control is even better then it has been in a while. What's even more surprising is that some of the studios play even better then the standards. Go figure eh.

Kant, if you want a Studio don't be scared off but just like any other guitar go check them out in stores and play them.
Quote by metaxis
I've been working in a guitar shop part-time (while working full time and feeding a wife and kid) for over 15 years. I do it for the fun and the fact that I get to try out all kinds of guitars and gear. People who continue to say that Studio's are crap don't really know what they are talking about. It seems like you are very knowledgeable Mr. Flibble so i am not sure where this info is coming from. I would even have to say that in the last couple of years Gibson's quality control is even better then it has been in a while. What's even more surprising is that some of the studios play even better then the standards. Go figure eh.

Kant, if you want a Studio don't be scared off but just like any other guitar go check them out in stores and play them.

I agree on several points. QC does seem better these days and the Studio is a worthy model. I even had one of those cheap flat tops Gibon made with the Tony Iomi pickups and round pearl in lay dots. It was lower than the Studio line and it was still a very nice guitar.
the studio is a great guitar. If I had some cash though, which I dont, I would get a Tokai Reborn, wow, what a guitar.
Quote by Sharck
You really want a Gibson Les Paul? Go for it. But Maybe you should rethink the "New" bit.

There are great used guitars out there, check craigslist, check your local guitar store, ask friends. I understand you want a baby that will grow with you, but often, you can find a used guitar that's more attractive to you than a new one ever would be.

Music's about love, when you go fall in love with a girl, it's not like you guys have been growing up together since birth, and if you had, would you even wanna get with that chick? You have to venture out into the world to find love, that can be true in guitars as well as chicks, try out some used guitars, you might get lucky.

Well said. Red Forman approves of this "smartass" advice!

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
personally id stay clear of gibsons unless ur extremely sure thats what you want,
They: -have set necks = less tone
-have 22 frets = pickup placement is located on a harmonic node (not good)
-are very overprised
-are prone to snapped necks
-have sweet f**k all quality control, so 4 the love of god dont buy over the net or before playing it heaps!
... guess im not gona make any friends after this, but seriously take this into consideration,
i mean seriously, there design is an acoustic shape with a cutaway, aestheticly pleasing yes but to stuck in the past, its what ur grandfather plays...
The End
Gear:
-Ibanez SV prestige
-Yorkville bloc 100
-boss od2
-digitech rp80
-1w marshall stack
------------------------
did i hear some1 say "jewish black metal"?
Last edited by anti-Gibson at Oct 6, 2008,
Definitely go copys. ebay is your best bet. Rather than dishing out 2k on it, you can pay half the price.
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
What kind of good copies are there out on ebay?

Do they have the same Gibson tone and quality?

Which PRS models are good to try out?

Just some basic questions, ultimetly it's going to have to take a trip to Guitar Center to please me, but for now all i can do is think about the choices. Hopefully next week i can go and check out some studios and traditionals and maybe some other decent brands too!
Quote by Kant

Just some basic questions, ultimetly it's going to have to take a trip to Guitar Center to please me, but for now all i can do is think about the choices. Hopefully next week i can go and check out some studios and traditionals and maybe some other decent brands too!

What type of music do you like to play? That will gives us a better idea of what to show you.
I've been playing on a PRS SE (it's like 500 or 600 bucks new) and I like it a lot. However, I have played my friend's Epiphone LP (not sure which model), and that was probably a better guitar.

If I were you, I'd go to guitar store, try out all LP copy's and the Epi's and Gibby's that you'd be willing to buy.

Try out a Tokai if they have any, a PRS, also there's probably various price range Epiphones and with the Gibson, there's the Studio, the Standard and a bunch of other ones. It`s your money, before you buy anything, make sure you feel like you are getting your money`s worth and that you buy what you WANT.

When I bought a really nice home theater speakers for my home, I went to the music store with a bunch of music DVDs that I felt were good quality and tried out all the audio systems within my price range until I found one that just felt and sounded like nothing I`ve ever heard before and I bought it and I don`t regret it.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I play mostly classic rock. Zeppelin,Floyd, Ozzy. Modern metal stuff... Anything that rocks :P

So a lot of good classic tone that i'm looking for i find in most les pauls. But there's also those other guitars that come out of no where that are cool too, but in terms of craftsmanship and tone, in my mind i see Gibson as #1, but i also know everyone here is competent in their opinions as to what other guitars are great too. So thanks for all the input so far!
Quote by metaxis

you are so right.

id really like to know where these people get their info... an epiphone better than a studio? the very thought of it makes me roar with laughter.
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
Quote by anti-Gibson
set necks = less tone

id would love to see you qualify that statement !!
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
If it's what you want then get it seriously, just go and try a few and find which one you want.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Double-Cutaway-Plain-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=513809

That thing looks amazing. I reckon its worth a try.

And replace that MG with the left over cash seriously, get a nice tube amp and a couple of good pedals.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
Quote by Kant

What does everybody think of the Epiphone black beauty LP $800, do u think dats a better but than the gibson LP studio $950? They
Woah. You *don't* want a new Gibson guitar. Not because they are overpriced (which, perhaps, they are) but simply because older Gibsons are better. I've seen a 2005 Gibson come new with a scratched finish (multiple places) and a flaw in the nut (one of the corners was had a little piece missing). Whats that for quality control on a $2000 guitar?

Both my Gibsons are great, great guitars, and they're from 1990 and 1972.
And I wouldn't want some stupid Anniversary guitar anyway. Collector's items my ass, the originals are collector's items. Psh.

Anyway. Get it used. From a store.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by Kant
I play mostly classic rock. Zeppelin,Floyd, Ozzy. Modern metal stuff... Anything that rocks :P

Edwards, Tokai, etc.
And a used Classic 30.
sorted.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by anti-Gibson
personally id stay clear of gibsons unless ur extremely sure thats what you want,
They: -have set necks = less tone
-have 22 frets = pickup placement is located on a harmonic node (not good)
-are very overprised
-are prone to snapped necks
-have sweet f**k all quality control, so 4 the love of god dont buy over the net or before playing it heaps!
... guess im not gona make any friends after this, but seriously take this into consideration,
i mean seriously, there design is an acoustic shape with a cutaway, aestheticly pleasing yes but to stuck in the past, its what ur grandfather plays...
The End

With a name like "anti-Gibson" we should take this with the usual prescribed granular of salt... heheh.

If you have the money to expand your selection list that is great. Play a few of them and I believe you will know the right one when you play it. It was like that for me. If it ends up being a Gibson and you are happy with it - so be it.

Being a lefty I had crap choices when I was looking to upgrade my guitar. I was wanting to try out some mid level epi LP's, but they only had the bottom rung models. The store I was in just happened to have a Gibson LP Studio on the rack that was for a lefty so on a whim I gave it a try. I knew within minutes that it was the right one to get, even if it was a stretch outside my original budget.

In the end I'm a lot happier playing a guitar that I enjoy than one I was learning to hate.
Quote by bornfidelity
Woah. You *don't* want a new Gibson guitar. Not because they are overpriced (which, perhaps, they are) but simply because older Gibsons are better. I've seen a 2005 Gibson come new with a scratched finish (multiple places) and a flaw in the nut (one of the corners was had a little piece missing). Whats that for quality control on a $2000 guitar?

Both my Gibsons are great, great guitars, and they're from 1990 and 1972.
And I wouldn't want some stupid Anniversary guitar anyway. Collector's items my ass, the originals are collector's items. Psh.

Anyway. Get it used. From a store.

This may or may not be true. I really like the 2008 Traditional. The only complaint I have with it is the tuners, but they are no different than issues I have had with older Les Pauls.

I have a 68 Custom with the humbuckers. I have also had or bought when new an 81, 83 and an 85. I purchased a studio model a few years back for my 11 year old daughter to learn on. Thankfully, I kept the 68 and have had it since 1980.

Old Gibsons are very different from one model to the next. All of mine have played differently. I have played numerous 70s, 80s, and 90s Les Pauls. Some were better than others. The 2008 Traditionals I have played, when picking out mine, were all very consistent and nice. They all had great sounds and played well. My decision came down to cosmetics when buying my 2008. I did prefer the Traditional sound wise and feel wise over the new Standards.

I would be extremely cautious about purchasing an older used Les Paul without spending time with it, but I am way more picky than most when it comes to Les Pauls.
I would be willing to bet that there are few to none on here that have owned or spent a lot of time playing Gibson Les Paul on here that would say they are not worth every penny. Candidly, it seems a lot like sour grape syndrome. There are guitars I have owned that I did not like, but I pretty much keep that to myself as they were either cheap or it was a matter of personal preference. No need to bash anything and there are reasons that guitars are priced the manner in which they are priced.
The only nice Gibson LP for a "more or less reasonable" price nowadays is the Traditional. But it's still quite expensive (but hey, they cost about $500 or $600 less than the Standard and are MUCH better).

I'd try to get a MIJ Tokai or Edwards, or maybe an old used Gibson.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
again can someone explain in detail the differences between Studio and Standard besides binding and cosmetic features?

you can find a used studio easily for about half the price of a used standard, like 600-800 range, don't drop the 1400 for a new studio unless you go for the 1700 robot, at one point studios were on sale for 1000 new guess theyve gone up in value?
What does everybody think of the Epi Black Beauty LP? It costs around 800$ and LP Studio is 900$
Go with the Gibson man. you won't regret it. if youre serious about music and get an epiphone, you'll regret in a couple years that you didn't just save for the gibson
Page 1 of 2