I was looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Jr.. Main reason: It's Cheap!

My idea, was to get this guitar and swap out the stock pick up for something like a P90 or SD Invader. Is it going to make a huge difference? Or is this guitar just utter crap? I plan on running it through a Fender Rumble 100, if that helps.

EDIT: Not planning on gigging. Just want something half way decent to screw around on, jam occasionally. Mainly a bassist.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 6, 2008,
I have no experience with Gibson or Epiphone, so I can't say anything specific, but... As a rule of thumb, if a guitar looks or feels like crap--as many cheap ones do--it's crap no matter what pickups you install.
Quote by Fox McKalen
I have no experience with Gibson or Epiphone, so I can't say anything specific, but... As a rule of thumb, if a guitar looks or feels like crap--as many cheap ones do--it's crap no matter what pickups you install.

+1
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
No dumbass here's how it works:

Guitar you love no matter what brand name it is + new pickups + new amp = Win

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
the fender rumble 100 is a base amp right...isn't it bad to play a guitar through a bass amp(and/or vice versa)?

since your mainly a bassist, along with the new guitar I'd get some sort of regular guitar amp, so you don't end up screwing up your bass amp
If you put SD Invaders, it soesn't matter about the guitar, it will always sound amazing. Just look at Synyster Gates.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Ok, How do you think my proposed Modded LP Junior would stack up against something like a LP-100 or Squier Tele?
Quote by Telecaster7
well, it'll make a substantial difference, but it won't stop it from being a crappy guitar

Not sure when Epi Les Pauls became "crappy" guitars but I have one and have had many compliments about how it sounds. It's not a junior, but I love the way it feels and plays. I've toyed with the idea of changing the bridge pickup, but it's not bad as is. The pots used in it aren't the greatest but those are easy enough to change out.
Quote by Captain Insano
Ok, How do you think my proposed Modded LP Junior would stack up against something like a LP-100 or Squier Tele?

I recommend you stay away from those. I think the modded LP Junior would sound better, but it isn't a great guitar to begin with so yeah... And I don't own a LP just saying

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
I think you'd be better off getting a LP-100 or a LP Standard and throwing some SD pickups in that, but if you play the Jr and it feels good to you, then go with it.
I have an old Tom DeLonge Squier strat that I put a GFS Power Rails in and it sounds KILLER. It rivals my $500 Epiphone (but doesn't quite beat it).

I say go for it. Unless you can afford something better right off the bat.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
all of those guitars listed aren't the greatest.
you might want to look in investing a little more and having a guitar you can rock on for a long time.
EXAMPLE: g-400, MIM Strat, MIM tele, etc.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Quote by B. Heath
you might want to look in investing a little more and having a guitar you can rock on for a long time.

**** yes. I have an Epiphone SG and it is absolutely perfect for anything. I might get a MIA or MIM strat someday, and they're great too. Absolutely cost efficient as well so you might want to look into that. Or maybe some of the higher end Epi's.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
I'd love to get MIM Fender or a more Expensive Epi, but I really don't have a ton of money. Just trying to get something half-way decent for as little as possible.

I would spend more, but I can't really justify 400 bucks on something I'm really starting out on and going to use semi-regularly as a "side". Especially when I've been GASing for a bigger bass amp for a while.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Oct 6, 2008,
I own the LP JR guitar and for the price it is a good guitar. The only beef I have with it is that it's kinda small. I have huge hands tho. I'm thinking of doing the same exact shit but with a EMG pickup. Just try it out first and if you like it go for it.
Last edited by o_hai_dere at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by guitarmaniac88
If you put SD Invaders, it soesn't matter about the guitar, it will always sound amazing. Just look at Synyster Gates.

FAIL, im keepng my A7X hate out of this, but his tone really is that crash hot, and Seymour Duncan do much better pups, the JB/59 combo, for instance

Quote by B. Heath

This.

I'd personally get a fat strat, and put better pups in it, just for the broad range of styles it can play.
The g-400 is good, i played a mates yesterday, only thing that irked me was the neck dive, but thats more of a pet hate with me, it may not annoy you.
yeah save up a fraction more and get an Epiphone G400, i have one, and i put an emg pickup in it, it is now a fantastic guitar. It is absolutely amazing how much nicer a G400 is compared to an SG special, considering its only about 100 bucks more. Definately worth the investment
RG's & Mesa's