Ok, first of all, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.-

Does anyone know how to get that beastly sound that bands like Rammstein and Oomph get? That really heavy bassy guitar sound that sounds like a machine growling.... ya know what I mean? I haven't been able to get it!

I have VERY pooey electric equipment, it's not even worth mentioning what I have. There's no chance I can get that sound with what I have, I have tried every knob combination on my guitar, amp and pedal. I'm pretty sure it's in the amp... Right? What kind of amp could do that? Or is it a pedal? I don't like pedals much... A regular amp setting would be better.

Here's a random example of that sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpqUs-cVi9k (it starts about 30 seconds in)

Another example is... Well, you know the sound at the very very beginning of Black Label Society's "Suicide Messiah"? Yeah, that.

I'm sorry for being so much of an idiot, I'm more of an acoustic-oriented person >.<
Last edited by Zecromancer at Oct 6, 2008,
Ok, I understand that that makes it more bassy... but what about for that... machine-like sound?
palm muting?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
scooped mids
Quote by monkeysintheday
I have trained a live tarantula to calm and sit on my guitar due to the awesome powers of my rocking. When I am not playing it angrily bounces about my room hitting everything that isn't me.

Quote by stef123

rageagainst64 you are a legend!
your attack, and your hands. a shit load of gain, and an amp that can handle it.

GOOD TONE COMES FROM YOUR HANDS!
FallIntoWinter, is there anything a bit cheaper that could handle it?
And I have a distortion pedal, and all it does it make my amp sound like it's stuck in a tin can :\ Although it sounds like that anyway...
i would look up what amps the bands use that you want to sound like. bottom line is that you need a high end amp for high end sound. you're not going to find these bands rolling out a roland cube.
some bands use an mxr blue box it drops the sound two octaves down, nu-metal bands use it all the time

wow, that seemed like an advertisment
Keep Strong Grundy

Quote by metaldud536
Milkshakes. They bring the boys to the yard.

Quote by humperdunk
OWNED
Last edited by Bucketbot10 at Oct 6, 2008,
your gonna need a fuzz pedal with alot of gain!, scoop your mids, lots of bass and possibly down tuning guitar
IRON MAIDEN
8th Feb 2008, Melbourne, Australia

Quote by SatanicShredder
One time I shat on the floor on janitor appreciation day.

Wasn't even caught.

Certificate in Music Industry 2, 3 & 4
Quote by Zecromancer
FallIntoWinter, is there anything a bit cheaper that could handle it?
And I have a distortion pedal, and all it does it make my amp sound like it's stuck in a tin can :\ Although it sounds like that anyway...

personally the cheapest alright thing is a roland cube with a digitech death metal
test it.
Quote by AcousticSlayer
Down tuning for the guitar, and a downtuned bass for the really low sound.

No. It's all in the amp and effects used. High gain + skillz and recording magick.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Roland Cube yes, Digitech Death Metal no.
Guitar: Ibanez Rg 2ex2/ with Dizmarzio Super Distortion
Amp: Peavey Valveking 212 (replacing soon)
Pedals: Planet Waves Tuner, Boss DS-1, Digitech DF-7, MXR-108 EQ
Quote by YByron
your gonna need a fuzz pedal with alot of gain!, scoop your mids, lots of bass and possibly down tuning guitar

Fuzz is too sticky and spikey for metal. It's great when used over a smooth amp with none to a light/medium amount of gain. Fuzz really lacks dynamics for fast choppy rhythms and metal leads etc.

An all out distortion pedal would be a better choice with a lower end amp but in the end you can't really beat a good amp's distortion.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
thinking about rammsteins tone.

its got some really kick you in the face kinda tone. i'd imagine they're using almost full on mids, probably just more than half amount of bass, and just enough treble to give a bite.

the tone never seemed overly saturated so the gain was probably around the 60% level.

the rest would be studio magic.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
A lot of it is how it's recorded in the studio.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
To be honest, you are not going to get that sound without a high end amplifier. Not to mention Rammstein's guitar tone is made by stacking up to 24 guitar tracks for a HUGE sound. Also, when a bass guitar is added to the mix, the bass sound really comes out in those heavy riffs. I love Rammstein's tone but even I have trouble getting it with my Peavey 6505+. It is very hard to do with just one amp, I believe Richard Kruspe uses 6 or so Mesa Dual Rectifiers when playing live. Here is a pic of his setup I believe.

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/images/rampowerrig.jpg
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst 500t/490r
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Rect-O-Verb Series 2 Head
Carvin vt412 4x12 cabinet
Quote by funkbass369
palm muting?

Exactly. Technique is the bottom line. I see so many people trying to get the sound of their favorite guitarists by buying the same kind of amp, pickups, pedals, etc... But what it comes down to is technique.

Hell, I can get a br00tlz (however you spell it) sound out of my 10 watt ss Rocktron, a Best Buy distortion pedal and a Hanna Montanna 3/4 size purple electric guitar, if I really tried.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Good equipment.

This includes a nice high gain tube amp (like a Peavey or Mesa), and a guitar with high quality pickups to get that very clear sound. It's also not going to sound too beastly unless it's dropped down some steps.
Want to get that evil ****ing in your face metal tone?

Get a tube distortion pedal. Black star makes beastly ones, and mesa/boogie came out with their own as well.

Plus EMG pickups known for the clean sound and high output perfect for lots of gain pumping.

Add onto that a good thick tube amp with cascading gain circuits with good and plenty of tubes.

Now you'd be talking some serious shit.
Quote by sesstreets
Want to get that evil ****ing in your face metal tone?

Get a tube distortion pedal. Black star makes beastly ones, and mesa/boogie came out with their own as well.

Plus EMG pickups known for the clean sound and high output perfect for lots of gain pumping.

Add onto that a good thick tube amp with cascading gain circuits with good and plenty of tubes.

Now you'd be talking some serious shit.

Blackstar make shit, overpriced pedals for metal. They sound very fuzzy and undefined. The only thing they might be good for is hard rock.
Quote by sabbathu
Exactly. Technique is the bottom line. I see so many people trying to get the sound of their favorite guitarists by buying the same kind of amp, pickups, pedals, etc... But what it comes down to is technique.

Hell, I can get a br00tlz (however you spell it) sound out of my 10 watt ss Rocktron, a Best Buy distortion pedal and a Hanna Montanna 3/4 size purple electric guitar, if I really tried.

Please do. I really want to hear that. You can do a cover of Te Quiero Puta for example.

Please do show that it's all in the technique and not at all in the great amp/guitar.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Full gain, Full bass, about a quarter of Mids, three quarters treble, full volume on your guitar, full tone and last of all tune the guitar down
Ibanez ICX220
D'addario XL .010 - .046
Dunlop stubby 1mm

DigiTech RP50
Korg AX3000G

Laney KD65

Quote by Lateralus17
Just stop. Stop being a pussy and get a real addiction like drinking coca-cola.
Quote by sabbathu

I would pay to see this, but also I call bullshit.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I would pay to see this, but also I call bullshit.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to waste on a silly little project to prove my statement. And I sold my Hanna Montana guitar last week to pay for my ISP Decimator.

But anyway, my point is this. We are all tone chasers. We are chasing the tones of those we want to emulate and for the most part, its going to be hard because they have record production qualities that we may not have in our bedrooms. Don't get me wrong, I agree that a great ESP guitar with EMG's going through a Mesa Triple is going to sound a whole lot better than my Audition guitar, Boss DS-1, and Yamaha SS amp (check my profile). But, it might be wise not to put so much emphasis on the gear. Otherwise, you'd be spending all your time and money trying to attain the unattainable.

Find something that sounds close to what you're searching for and just practice those tunes. Make it your own. Develop your own sound and pretty soon, you'll have a bunch of players searching to get YOUR tone.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by sabbathu
Unfortunately, I don't have the time to waste on a silly little project to prove my statement. And I sold my Hanna Montana guitar last week to pay for my ISP Decimator.

But anyway, my point is this. We are all tone chasers. We are chasing the tones of those we want to emulate and for the most part, its going to be hard because they have record production qualities that we may not have in our bedrooms. Don't get me wrong, I agree that a great ESP guitar with EMG's going through a Mesa Triple is going to sound a whole lot better than my Audition guitar, Boss DS-1, and Yamaha SS amp (check my profile). But, it might be wise not to put so much emphasis on the gear. Otherwise, you'd be spending all your time and money trying to attain the unattainable.

Find something that sounds close to what you're searching for and just practice those tunes. Make it your own. Develop your own sound and pretty soon, you'll have a bunch of players searching to get YOUR tone.

+1000000000000 to the red. very well said.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by filthylittleboy
your attack, and your hands. a shit load of gain, and an amp that can handle it.

GOOD TONE COMES FROM YOUR HANDS!

Truth

That gritty sound (heard a lot in MH albums) is the way they pick, it's purposefully slow and grinding
Quote by FallIntoWinterr
personally the cheapest alright thing is a roland cube with a digitech death metal
test it.

No, please don't.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia