So, I'm a noob when it comes to cabs. Some guy is selling an old Laney 2x12 with Celestion G12T-75 speakers from a Marshall JCM 800 model 1936 cab. I've got a couple questions.

1.) He's asking $150. Is it worth this much or less?

2.) Would I be making a mistake if I buy it? I don't gig yet, but do plan on it. I'm used to having combo amps, so for some reason I'm hesitant on getting this.

3.) The cab wont work without a head right? So I can get a SS head and a Tube head...right? A cab is just speakers, and the "sound" comes from the head.

4.) I have an Orange Crush15r, and I saw a video of some guy with a 212 and it looked like he had a combo amp set up as a head and ran it through his 212 that he built...would this be possible or am I making this up?

Your help is really needed and appreciated. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and what I am about to get myself into!
Quote by CrazyDavey
I guarantee that no guy in here would say no if they were offered the chance to have sex with her. This being The Pit... horny virgins galore :]
$150 for that is a good deal
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby
It is a good deal. you will need a head, yes. there are some combos that can be heads but not alot.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
i dont know about the price.

but for the others.

2) thats a personal choice

3)yes, there will be no sound without external help. and a SS or tube head will work (as long as the wattage load isnt too great for the speakers, and the ohm impedance is the same)

4) if the combo has an extension speaker output jack, you can use it to power the cab. this may or may not cut out the sound coming form the speakers in the combo, that depends on the amp's internal wiring.
1) yes
2) maybe, it depends when you plan on starting to gig an wether u have a head or not
3)the signal comes from the head and the signal goes to the speakers, no actual sound comes from the head
4) yes its possible but the impedance has to match

edit, the impedance of the head has to be equal to or less then the cab ALWAYSSSSSSSSSSS
1. Actually, that's a great deal if it's in good condition.
2. No. It's not a mistake. Buy it.
3. You can run either SS or tube heads through it.
4. As long as you can run a speaker cable from the combo into the cab, then you're good to go.

Edit - ^ Yes. This man is absolutely right about the impedance.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
As long as you match the ohms to the cab, so make sure you figure out how it is wired and how many ohms the speakers are running at. Make sure to ask the guy that

That is a very good deal IMHO.
How do I find out the ohms of the head? The guy said the speakers are 8 ohm impedance and 150W max.

I'm looking at the Crate v33 head specifically because it's the cheapest! =P
Quote by CrazyDavey
I guarantee that no guy in here would say no if they were offered the chance to have sex with her. This being The Pit... horny virgins galore :]
*Risen from the dead*

I play Hardcore/Screamo and some rock-like music like Paramore/The Almost.
Quote by CrazyDavey