Hey everyone,
I'm sure you get a ton of threads like "Hai, recommend me a guitar", so I apologize, but I need some opinions.
So, what do you guys think of this guitar?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAEW20ASE

I've looked at some sound clips quickly, and it does sound pretty nice, but I'd like a few more opinions.
I need something rich and full in the low end, and clear and crisp up high.
Would this guitar give me what I'm looking for?

Any other suggestions are hugely appreciated.

Oh, and I'd like an acoustic/electric too.
Thanks guys.

EDIT: I'm willing to spend up to 500, or 600 bucks.
Although I'm not as experienced as others in here, you should probably stay away from that guitar. It doesn't even have a solid top. And since your budget is 500 bucks you can definitely get something far better. If you're comfortable with a wider than usual neck, you should check out Seagulls. Very good guitars.
ibanez acoustics aren't great. especially the art and exotic wood series...
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Alvarez are better in that range. Seagull's are nice as well.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
hmm, well after much searching through Alverez and Seagulls, I've concluded I don't really like the appearence of the Seagulls much--but maybe they play really nice? I don't know.

I did like these two Alvarez guitars though--
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALVAD60K

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?SeriesID=2&ItemID=54
The second would definetely need a refinish. I don't like the bright "amber".

I'm not completely sold on either of these though--at all.
Does anyone have any specific suggestions?

EDIT: I think what sold me on the Ibanez was the cutway, I really like it. I strongly dislike the cutway on the Seagulls though--it just looks...off?
Last edited by Duval67 at Oct 8, 2008,
I think the ibanez is probably fine for your use.

it's a really crappy guitar, but i think you would be better off (happier) with that guitar than with a guitar that we suggest for you.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
the ibanez exotic acoustics are... ok
not horrible

but for the money you could get a much nicer guitar IMO
Quote by about
I think the ibanez is probably fine for your use.

it's a really crappy guitar, but i think you would be better off (happier) with that guitar than with a guitar that we suggest for you.

?
That seemed kind of uncalled for. Just because I wasn't 100% sold on the guitar you suggested doesn't mean you have to go and 1) insult my use of guitar. :S
and 2) knock the guitar.

anyway, maybe just going into the local shop would be a good idea.
I wish I had like, 2,000 dollars to go blow on a Martin.

Quote by JessMess
the ibanez exotic acoustics are... ok
not horrible

but for the money you could get a much nicer guitar IMO

Suggestions?
Quote by Duval67
?
That seemed kind of uncalled for. Just because I wasn't 100% sold on the guitar you suggested doesn't mean you have to go and 1) insult my use of guitar. :S
and 2) knock the guitar.

anyway, maybe just going into the local shop would be a good idea.
I wish I had like, 2,000 dollars to go blow on a Martin.

Suggestions?

sorry, let me elaborate and apologize especially cause i didn't recommend an actual model.

to me it seems you are looking for a guitar for looks. especially the two links you posted on the alvarez, both are very flashy.

i've also tried the same guitar you want just this past monday. let me tell you i wasn't impressed. my friends yamaha f335 or whatever model which was like 100 bucks sounded better. tone is subjective of course. just the price/tone wasn't worth it.

go to the store and try out every guitar in your price range. ignore looks. that's the least important thing. you want to be on the look out for tone and comfort, then lastly looks. again in my pov, it seems like you are just going for looks first especially since i don't think you've tried any of those guitars.

here's my recommendation, a seagull S6. it's an amazing guitar. action and playability are very low and easy going. tone is great. your choice if you want cedar spruce rosewood mahogany, etc.

i also don't think i could own a high end guitar for just playing around.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
I can vouch for how good the Seagull is. It's definitely one of the best for the price.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
I can vouch for how good the Seagull is. It's definitely one of the best for the price.

i like seagull sound but its headstock says no must not touch to me haha
Sound always comes first, then comfort, and lastly, looks. You only look at cool as your guitar sounds. So if your guitar sounds like crap, you dont look cool
Equipment:

Ibanez guitars are disapointing. They LOOK so darn cool, but their sound doesn't match up.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I was thinking of getting a seagull S6 but I was thrown off by the look of the headstock (shallow I know).
This is still relevant to the thread as I'm in a similar price range, anyone know much about the Martin Dx1? Or anything good around my price range, £300-£400 ($500-$700)
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Generally speaking, I would suggest staying away from low end Martins. The materials are quite subpar. If you really like one, however, then by all means go for it.
Equipment:

Quote by renegade2031
I was thinking of getting a seagull S6 but I was thrown off by the look of the headstock (shallow I know).
This is still relevant to the thread as I'm in a similar price range, anyone know much about the Martin Dx1? Or anything good around my price range, £300-£400 ($500-$700)

That was a turn off for me too, but to tell you the truth, however ugly it may be, at the same time it's mesmerizing. Each to his own I guess .
It definitely seems to me like you are placing WAY too much importance on what the guitar looks like. You need to play before you buy. Tone is more important than looks.

When you first start playing or are looking for your first guitar, looks seem really important. You will be drawn to guitars that look cool. The longer you play and the better you get and the more guitars you try out... the less you will be concerned with how they look. I'd really suggest trying to find a few guitars that you think SOUND good. After that think about how comfortable they are to play and then pick the one that looks the best out of the remaining choices. Tone > Appearance.
Just so I don't sound like a fool... it puts me off but if I had to buy a guitar right now it would probably be the S6, was just wondering if I should save more
YellowGreenBlueRed

Quote by webbtje
You live in a ruler, the only child of trouser water (?); it's very fantastic, and salami!
Quote by jimtaka
It definitely seems to me like you are placing WAY too much importance on what the guitar looks like. You need to play before you buy. Tone is more important than looks.

When you first start playing or are looking for your first guitar, looks seem really important. You will be drawn to guitars that look cool. The longer you play and the better you get and the more guitars you try out... the less you will be concerned with how they look. I'd really suggest trying to find a few guitars that you think SOUND good. After that think about how comfortable they are to play and then pick the one that looks the best out of the remaining choices. Tone > Appearance.

well,

Feeling > Tone > Appearance

Quote by Sciot
well,

Feeling > Tone > Appearance

Nahh... it's always...

Sound > Comfort > Appearance

The key is that at least the first two conditions MUST be satisfied. It's not about which one of the three you could sacrifice if you had to. You MUST meet the conditions of sound and comfort in that order.
Equipment:

Yeah I guess I have been going for looks first. But when you're looking online, it's almost all you have to go on.
I'm probably gonna go into the shop sometime this weekend and try everything out.
Quote by Duval67
Yeah I guess I have been going for looks first. But when you're looking online, it's almost all you have to go on.
I'm probably gonna go into the shop sometime this weekend and try everything out.

The ugliest guitars can be the best
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Seagull's ugly headstock actually has a functional reason behind it. The strings at the headstock are usually pulled at an angle that makes the strings bind easily. The seagull headstock is made small so that the pull of the strings are straight, meaning that it binds less, tunes more easily, and will stay in tune more.
Equipment:

Haha, it does make sense though. Fender Strats tune up more easily and bind less in the nut than say... a Les Paul. The strat has a relatively straight pull while the Les Pauls have angled headstocks AND the uneven pulling to one side. From my experience with my Seagull, it definitely tunes up without binding nearly as much as my Martin. My Martin is like THE bind king. Especially on the G string.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Haha, it does make sense though. Fender Strats tune up more easily and bind less in the nut than say... a Les Paul. The strat has a relatively straight pull while the Les Pauls have angled headstocks AND the uneven pulling to one side. From my experience with my Seagull, it definitely tunes up without binding nearly as much as my Martin. My Martin is like THE bind king. Especially on the G string.

Well, I've learned something today!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass