Page 1 of 3
First of all, I've been off of this forum for quite some time. I hope everyone is doing well.

Second, isn't it odd how after months, I still wade through thirty pages of old threads to make sure I'm not posting something that has been done? The fear is so embedded...

Anyway, I recently had an experience that compelled me to come back to this wonderful forum and share with all of you.

A few days ago I was at the Guitar Center in my city, playing a few basses. One of the employees came over and started talking to me, I humored him. I said something to the effect that I was thinking of getting a new bass, although that day is definitely a few months a way, if that close.

He told me, "Here, I have a great bass for a cheap price."

He brought me a bass, and he was half right. It was only $200. (If I were to get a new bass, by the way, getting a $200 one might be a downgrade, no?)

But as for the great bass part... Well, would anyone care to guess what that bass was?

Go on.

Guess.

Give up?

And Epiphone Thunderbird.

I have never been more insulted in my life.

Anyway, I felt like sharing that, and opening the floor for any terrible moments that any of you may have had in a guitar shop.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
I went into a GC to trade in my old 1992 gibson thunderbird IV and the guy goes " they are feeling good about it, $325. I was like hell no then sold it on ebay for $900.
my story is kind of the opposite. not really a bad story. i was jamming on a lakland bass and some guy started talking to me and i said i was in the market for a new bass to. he told me he had something for me and handed me a modulus. in no way could i afford this bass but i took it as a compliment that he would think im up to playing such a nice bass. either that or he was just tryin to get me to spend 3,000 dollars.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by RentACar
I thought the Epi Thunderbird was a good bass?
Please enlighten me?

No, thats the gibson model that is good. Epiphone is like the squier of gibson.
Welcome back!

I have quite a few GC stories but they're not quite as fun as this one.

I've been buying gear at my local for some time at this point and had a great relationship with the staff down there. They hired a new salesperson in the bass department, really nice guy. I was trying out an MIA Fender Pbass and the senior sales guy told him to go and see if I needed any help. He went over, we talked about the bass and then he starts in saying..."You know you might find a short scale a bit more comfortable to play..." and then gets this really confused look on his face.

I turn around and the senior sales guy is doing the "cut it" motion with his hand across his neck. At this point, I totally lose it laughing and the senior guy walks over to the poor bass salesman and tells him how he nearly missed a magnificent tirade about women playing short scale basses. "You're lucky she didn't clock you with the Precision".

It all ended up well though--and the bass sales guy has become a trusted salesperson, who I'll probably end up ordering my Spector bass from.
epiphone makes decent products usually. the thunderbird is complete crap though.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
I need (ha ha "need") a 5 string before I get the Urge II. The Spector will be a fiver.
Well i don't really have any bad advice in a store but i've seen a bunch of kids who thought bass was easy because of guitar hero, he tried to play one for 10 mins and just gave up then i did a dick move and started slapping and 8 finger tapping he just stared... He was like 10 or 12 though .
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by anarkee
I need (ha ha "need") a 5 string before I get the Urge II. The Spector will be a fiver.

Sure...

I'm going to a store that stocks Fulltone, and a whole bunch of other brands tomorrow. So I'm gonna be having some serious GAS. In fact, I think I'm gonna go take a crap now just at the thought of it.
Quote by funkbass369
epiphone makes decent products usually. the thunderbird is complete crap though.

+1
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
some guy in a a music shop was trying to sell this other guy a Dean Edge.

here is their rough conversation.
SALESMAN"try this Dean"
DUDE"I don't like Dean, their guitars suck"
SM"but their basses aren't bad"
DUDE"ok"
*plugs in the Dean*
*plays Dean*
DUDE"this sounds kinda muddy"
SM"turn up the tone knob"
SM"ok"
DUDE"it feels kinda odd"
SM"it's supposed to, you're a guitarist"
ME "it's supposed to, it's a Dean"
SM "who are you?"
ME "a bass player"
SM "well what would you suggest?"
ME "that, that or that"
SM "why?"
ME "play one and see"
DUDE "ok"
*grabs Squier*
DUDE "this is a jazz? right?"
SM "yes, because it's used for jazz, you play rock, right?"

I was very shocked at the man.

and this actually did happen.

the same guy had also tried to sell me a little big muff, 1/2 hour earlier.

:rollseyes:

granted, his Dad owns the shop, and he primarily seems to play guitar. but still.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I went into my local GC. I have come to hate this location more and more everytime i go in there. Their bass section is extremely limited. Anyway...I go in buy a Boss Overdrive Pedal. I look around a bit and I don't see any effect pedals for bass at all. I ask one of the dudes working there and he's like "All we got for bass is this" and shows me some multi-effects pedal way out of my price range.

It didn't really help me, so he says "You know, you'd probably just be better off going with a guitar distortion pedal" at this point i decide this guy is dumb and I won't get anything good from this place so I start to mess with him. Knowing the answer, I ask "Well, aren't there different pedals for bass and guitar for a reason? Won't I get different sounds?" he replies with "Uh...yeah." I continue to test is lack of knowledge with "What will it do to my sound if I use a guitar pedal?" followed by "Uh....well....uh...." "Won't it sap my low end?" "Oh yeah, right. That's it"

I then left angry and at the same time amused. I had to go to a different, better GC. I got the pedal I needed, but afterword the guy that sold it told me tried to sell me a new multi-effects pedal they got is recently. Again, way out of my price range, and it was for GUITAR. I think all GCs have my picture on their walls and under it reads "Sell this crap that he can't afford and doesn't need"

Sorry for wall of text. I ranted alittle...
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I wish I had a bad experience in a store. I feel left out

Go almost anywhere in Indiana, I promise you will have at least one bad experience. If you ever make the trip to the states, steer clear of this one.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Well about a month and a half ago I went to my local guitar store and bought an Ashdown Mag 300H and a 410 cabinet, however the cabinet was not in stock but would be in the store within 3 days. It wasn't. It was apparently back ordered and wouldn't be here until last week. It wasn't. And now it won't be here until late November.

So basically all I have is a head with nothing to plug into except a piece of garbage ampeg combo that will rattle itself to pieces soon.

Luckily the owner has decided to let me borrow a Mag 300 210 combo until my cab comes in, but still. RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Quote by Deliriumbassist

try SoCal, it's a cesspool for stupids.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I see these two guys talking and eyeing a Gibson SG. They were talking about how good it was. I cut in and politely informed them that they were wrong and in what ways they were wrong. They said "you're thinking of the Epiphone, this one's great." I let them be, it wasn't my money.

Not as a token of hate, but to give a clear point of how bad Epiphone and Gibson basses are, here's two examples: Back when I was still a youngin' to bass, I played a T-Bird, because I thought it looked sweet. I played it and wondered why the neck kept heading towards the floor and why it didn't sound a whole lot different when I turned the tone knob off than when it was full on.

Also, I sat in on a jazz band practice my friend was a part of. There was an electric guitar, an SG bass, drums, then a full horn section. My guitarist friend and I both remarked on how terrible the bass sounded, but the guitarist brought it up.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Just last Saturday I was trying out a $100 bass (Brownsville, went out of business, prices slashed, I have one of their guitars and I like it, so I thought I might try the bass), and I was playing quietly, because I suck and I don't want everyone to hear my suckitude.

Then, I hear it. I look in the direction of the noise, fearing that a rhythmic beehive was dropped in the store by the daily honey deliverers, only to find...a salesperson, playing an AC/DC riff on an out-of tune guitar through an MG.
With the crushing overdrive activated, no less.

I opened my mouth to shout, "TURN THAT BULLSHIT DOWN!", but stopped myself. I rather like this store, being that it's close, and the nearest GC is on the other side of the city. Screaming at the staff would probably only result in something unfortunate. So I put the bass down, got my strings (which required me to get 3 feet away from the dog****er with the MG, joy and tribulation! ) and got the hell out of there.

And that is the story of how I probably missed out on a damn good bargain.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Ohhhhhhhh man. If you guys ever get a Warwick, do NOT get it from GC.

Warwicks always come with a black "folder". The folder is fabric but heavy-duty and contains stuff like manuals, cloths, strap locks, Allen keys, and if your model needs it, Warwick Beeswax and your bass's unique warranty card.

So I buy my Corvette. I get it home, plug it in, love it. I read up on it and realize this folder should of came with it. It isn't in my Rock Bag.

I go to GC to get some new strings (the strings on my Vette were dead) so I ask the salesperson. He tells me I'm wrong. This is kind of frustrating since it's the guy who sold me the bass anyway.

I come back 2-3 weeks later and ask a different guy about the folder. He tells me Guitar Center doesn't carry them anymore.

I phone up Dana B. Goods, the Warwick center in the US. The guy literally says "Guitar Center employees are asses, I'll send you the wax". I wait an extra week and still no wax from them, and at this point my bass hasn't been waxed in ~4 weeks, and that's assuming Guitar Center waxed it (which I bet they didn't).

So I go into Guitar Center AGAIN a few days later and demand my user kit. I'm directed towards a manager. After a lot of complaining, I get a user kit... for a 2006 Nirvana Black $$. Since the $$ doesn't have the same finish as my bass, I don't get any wax.

I go back once more a few days later to demand my wax. They assure me my bass is fine, and even after pointing out what type or Warwick I have to the manager, he assures me, it doesn't need to be waxed.

I don't go to that store any more.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
over heard this conversion. this guy was looking at a jazz and a precision. the salesman goes over to entertain him. the man asks: "what is the difference between the two?". the salesmen replies:" oh nothing. just the name."
Quote by Deliriumbassist

In Nor Cal, the experience seems to be concentrated mainly in the doorways to hell called Guitar Center. I can honestly say I have never had a positive consumer purchase in one--and as I said once in this forum, if Mr. Tam isn't with me, I have to practically hang butt nekkid from the rafters to get someone to wait on me.
Quote by anarkee
In Nor Cal, the experience seems to be concentrated mainly in the doorways to hell called Guitar Center. I can honestly say I have never had a positive consumer purchase in one--and as I said once in this forum, if Mr. Tam isn't with me, I have to practically hang butt nekkid from the rafters to get someone to wait on me.

ugh. they're always on me. and as soon as I say low end punch I get a t-bird thrown at me so fast the finish nearly burns off in the atmosphere.

I hate them. I usually make them feel stupid until they leave me alone.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Hah, well I'm just a noob bassist but I've still had my share of bad experiences.

The setting is the guitar center that is about 15 miles away. I have to go to buy strings because I didn't bother to look around for any local shops (and I wish I hadn't but that's for the next story ) I ask for a set of 110's and the guy hands me some ernie ball super slinkeys. I say "no I'll take those DR hi-beams over there please" and the guy flat out says to me "no those are more expensive and they're exactly the same."

Now I'd only been playing for 4 months at the time but even I knew there was a hell of a lot of difference between nickel hex-core strings and stainless round core strings. Either way, every time I go there now I make sure and ask that guy for strings

Second story: This time at my local guitar shop. About 4 months ago I was wanting a new amp. I found the Ibanez Soundwave amps were clear and even made a yamaha rbx170 sound passable. I asked if they had any of the 100W combos and they said "no but we'll be getting them in shortly, give us a call next week."

4 months and several dozen calls later... still not in
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Once I was told the I should buy an affinity pbass from the salesperson at a local music store, then he told me it on special for $850 AUD....I laughed at him and walked out as you can get a MIM Pbass for an extra $50

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
Anyone of you people still bring their guitars to the shop for a regular set up? Here's why you should learn to do it yourself ASAP:
Robbert, the guy now applying for the position of son in law, worked in the guitar shop two blocks away. The guitarists of his band asked him to help him out with his bad tempered Epi SG. But Robbert declined saying he was not qualified and instead suggested to bring the sick SG to his employer. Indeed the guitarist (Like Robbert a 16 year old high school student and not rich) came to the shop the very next day and handed over his guitar for a new set of strings and a regular set up. The boss told Robbert to take care of it, but he objected saying he had no experience. 'No problem' the boss said 'just start with putting on new strings and I'll come to you later and show you how'. So Robbert changed the strings and checked the intonation. This was so far off that he decided to put all the saddle pieces in the middle position, neatly in a row. Then he was taken from the job and told help some costumers. The SG was put aside and never touched again till the owner came to pick it up the next day. He was charged €80,- for it, strings NOT included.

This is the same shop that always cautions people who buy spare parts against doing repairs themselves. 'You'd so easily mess it up if you don't have the experience, you'd better leave it to a professional' they say.
ok setting.

I was in the market to get a Wah Pedal, like an actual Tone Shifting effect, not the Envelope filter sounding Boss Bass 105q. and I like the control and non-spring loaded things.

so. I walk into Allens Music, this guy who I thought was kind of cool originally, walks up to me and says, "Hey Zacc" (as I go in alot and they know be by name) so I go, "Hey Jimmy, I'm looking for a Wah pedal, and before you tell me to try out the Boss 105q, I don't want that one, it sounds too envelope filtery for me, plus I don't like it being spring loaded, and I want the Tone control and stuff so i can really assentuate a few things or just leave it in a tone for a section or two"

and he says. "Well your not going to find the sound you're looking for with anything else. try out the 105q", I got a little annoyed at this, so I said "Do you know what sound I'm looking for?" and he says "No but its not this, trust me I've heard it many times its not what you want" so I say, "Can i just try it out, at a quiet volume as to not let you're opinionated brain to hear?"

and he goes "I'm just giving you advice man, why don't you try out the Boss dynamic wah, looks its got a Bass in" so I say "I want the control of the foot pedal man" So he suggests an expression pedal, which they don't have in stock...

So I try the 105q anyway, obnoxiously loud. it was not what I wanted at all. then I play the dynamic wah anyway. Really loud aswell. Guess what... it has the Vowel Selections. I told the guy I didn't want an envelope filter sounding effect

but, I try it out in the Guitar In, and it instantly sounds better (to me) and I get a sweet tone out it as a half envelope filter auto wah-ish type thing, (not what I looking for at all) but still sweet, then i got into this Funky groove with alot of strumming and muted strings and what not, He comes over and says, hey that sounds sweet, what did you do to it. so i say, "I put it in the Guitar Input"

it made it less muddy, and much punchier, and clear, and the harmonics rang out clear as day!

anyway, I keep coming in, as I am tight with the store guys, and none of them even let me look at a wah pedal...

then after a couple weeks, I think, Friday night, is late night shopping in the mall, so everyone is gonna be in there just for a mooch, I'll find jimmy, and demand to try out all the wah pedals before I leave and just totally piss him off

as I am annoyed that they dont give discounts anymore... set price's on everything

anyway, he gets fed up with me after about 10 minutes of following him and disagreeing with everything he says, he grabs a Jim Dunlop, a pretty decent lead, and a really skinny crap lead with both jacks bent at 45 degree angle at least

he plugs them in... oh... it doesn't work... tries with just the decent lead... hey it works... then he goes... "oh, daym, I don't think it will work"... so I say... well, get a better lead, "it works fine we just tried it" I said "The other one man." so he did, i tried it... and guess what

IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED THE CLOSEST THING I HEARD TO IT! I loved it, anyway, I pulled out my wallet and had 200 AUS and he goes... its 250, and i say... you can't knock off 50 for me? and he goes... no, set prices man... and I take out another 50 and go... "hmm.... you know what... nah, I think i should get it at 150 just for the dreadful service. and even then I would be quite generous" and walked out...

Next time I went in... no one talked to me, i got to browse in peace... untill i plugged in a $3,000+ AUS Jazzmaster guitar into a huge Vox amp and started playing Funk on it quite loud, they just said... alright just go.

(Apologies for the MEGA ranting...)
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by ZaccB
*great wall of text*

They wouldn't let you even try a wah pedal?

How would they know what tone you're going for? Geez. Way to go for standing up for your convictions and right to try out a wah pedal! *hi-five*
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Quote by the humanity
ugh. they're always on me. and as soon as I say low end punch I get a t-bird thrown at me so fast the finish nearly burns off in the atmosphere.

I hate them. I usually make them feel stupid until they leave me alone.

That's because they look at me and think either a) I'm waiting for my signifcant other to purchase something or b) got lost trying to find the acoustic guitar department.
Quote by BeastlyBassist
They wouldn't let you even try a wah pedal?

How would they know what tone you're going for? Geez. Way to go for standing up for your convictions and right to try out a wah pedal! *hi-five*

I later tried out a Dunlop 535q And its amazing, exactly what I wanted

Too bad I already spent my Cash and I need to save up again.

Stupid video games.

and yea. Fight the opinionated bastards at the guitar stores... why can't they just relate facts and not opinions.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by anarkee
That's because they look at me and think either a) I'm waiting for my signifcant other to purchase something or b) got lost trying to find the acoustic guitar department.

Sexual discrimination lawsuit against guitar center could prove profitable

Quote by ZaccB
and yea. Fight the opinionated bastards at the guitar stores... why can't they just relate facts and not opinions.

I couldn't think of a better time to use the term "ignorant douchebags"

Half of the time when I'm at guitar center they're trying to sell me a warwick or something. When I tell them I'm here for strings or to try out stuff they just frown and walk away

What's funny is I've had worse luck at "local" shops than at GC. I guess I've never really gone there to buy anything though. The one I'm going to today is filled with pushy salesmen that would probably try to sell me a T-bird or something. Only reason I'm going is for the incredible sale
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press

Quote by anarkee

ugh. that sucks. at least they aren't constantly trying to sell you stuff. I hate it when they do that.

I go into guitar shops when I'm bored, and just play. it's relaxing until they start bugging me about they're newest stuff. I suppose they think I'm actually trying to buy something. no. I'm researching. every time. if you're gonna constantly bug me, at least give me the damn job I applied for. I know more than anyone in your bass department. easily.
well, I sound spoiled, don't I?
oh well. as much as it sucks getting too much help, it's gotta be terrible. especially if you can't reach that used P-bass some dude modded a Stingray P-up into...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'll read this post and give another story later, but for now, I have a quicky that regulars might appreciate.

I was at a guitar store seeing if they had the MXR Bass Fuzz. They had a Blogger, but the dude REALLY recommended I try a USA Big Muff.

Need I elabourate?

The guy brings out the bass playing employee of the store to tell me about how awesome the pedal is (and I'm thinking great, a two-course meal), and how I'm crazy. Dude said for years his setup was a Big Muff into an SVT-CL and Ampeg 810 (wwwwooooooowwwwwiiiieeee). I just wish I asked him if he was playing a T-Bird instead of vomitting and shitting all over the place like I did.

On a side note- the Blogger sounds eerily like the MXR BlowTorch - buzzy and very crackly. Both fuzz and drive mode sound identical, with fuzz being louder. More stories later - but I remember posting some stories in a thread like this a long while back (about stupid music store employees) and have had a funny one since.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The only real thing I have a problem with is that I love the service I get at the local mom and pops stores, but they barely have anything. It takes forever for them to order stuff for ya. On the other hand, Guitar Center normally has a wider selection, but their sevice is shitty! I had a few guys try to sell me basses I've never heard of or never will.

Its not an instore experience, but an online store experience that made me say NAY to GC!

I bought my Dean (I know I know...I spent most of my money on my amp! So I had a tight budget.) online through GC. It was about 200+ and when I checked my online checking balance, I noticed I had been 'charged' two different times for two different amounts. Apparently when I bought the bass, they calculated the wrong amount of taxes. So, they re-charged it with out talking to my bank. Ofcourse I had a larger bank with little to none customer service. When I talked to BB&T, they would tell me it was GC's fault. When I talked to GC they would tell me its BB&T's fault. So, I spent 3-4 weeks trying to solve the mess between the two, all the while my accounts been overcharged and was gaining more overcharge fees. Needless to say, I finally got things taken care of, but I will never ever buy from GC again! I also changed banks, too!
Gear List

2002 Gibson SG Faded
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
I went to a guitar shop and asked to play the Epiphone Ripper Re-issue they had, so the guy says sure and gives me....

...an Epiphone EB...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I called to every guitar store near me (all small as I dont have a GC or anything like that anywhere near me) and not one would buy/ use as trade in credit my 5 string Peavey. Ended up going to a pawn shop and they didnt want it because "they have to many of them" (they only had like 4 basses, all 4 strings and all off brands). It just so happens there was a guy there that was in the market for a 5 string, so I sold it to him instead right there.

Not really a tragic story or anything but its all I got...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Page 1 of 3