I haven't really learned much about record labels, but how is a punk band (really any band) supposed to make money? I understand you basically have to go platinum on a major label to not get screwed over, but are indie labels like Epitaph and Fat Wreck Chords actually better? I've heard you don't get exploited and ****ed over, but I mean do those guys actually help you?
Obvious troll is obvious.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by axeslash
Obvious troll is obvious.

Why would he wait until October to start trolling?
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
I know?

Doesn't he know how cold it is under bridges in October?

Anyway if yer for real:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

This helped when I was a lad.

EDIT: And just cuz their indies doesn't mean they won't screw you either.

They can pull all the same shit as Majors.

If yer lookin' for money, don't do music.

And consider puting out yer own records.

I 7 inch format.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by Boredom210
If you don't want to help, please don't post.

And thanks IluvPowerChords
Them's fightin' words.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
If yer lookin' for money, don't do music.

And consider puting out yer own records.

This.
CD-R format is where it's at. *-)
How to make money? Get a job. Work when you're not on tour.

Epitaph and Fat Wreck? Those are major labels.
Quote by sargasm

I know what you mean. Although they're not part of the big four, their distribution is just as good.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by Boredom210
I haven't really learned much about record labels, but how is a punk band (really any band) supposed to make money? I understand you basically have to go platinum on a major label to not get screwed over, but are indie labels like Epitaph and Fat Wreck Chords actually better? I've heard you don't get exploited and ****ed over, but I mean do those guys actually help you?

This is where your problem is.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
the best way to approah music is to assume from the get go that you won't get paid for it.
Quote by sargasm

This. Add Victory to that list. I'd rather be on Universal than Victory. I f*ckign hate Victory records.
Most punk bands aim to break even on their tours and record releases and whatnot.

Making money isn't really an option.

I promote punk shows and I don't make money either.
Quote by Manos15
Then they're not punk.

Joke?

Quote by Zero Substance
"mainstream" punk bands like rise against etc. may make money, but thats about all the money there is to be made in punk music.

Bones makes enough money to work at a sandwich shop when he's not touring and he's able to get by.

LCB aren't exactly "mainstream" popular yes....but not really mainstream.
Quote by Mack56
the best way to approah music is to assume from the get go that you won't get paid for it.

Agreed entirely. And this goes for all artists out there, not just punk bands. Music is a form of expression. Its ok to make a living while your at it, but getting paid should never be the number one priority.
Quote by Zardokk
Everybody must get stoned! (If they are me.)
I told the chat the other night at Casey Royer, formerly of the Adolescents and member of D.I. works at the Subway down the street from my house.

Sandwich artist.
basically, u make money at home, and when u have enough money, you go on tour.
you dont go on tour to earn money, you spend money to be able to go on tour.
you'd make money selling merch, but only enough for food, shelter, gas and air tickets at most.
Quote by recklessnick
you'd make money selling merch, but only enough for food, shelter, gas and air tickets at most.

This is pretty much all I needed to know. I didn't mean like Bill Gates money, just if there'd be enough to survive off of. However it still goes hand in hand with my question about labels as I'm still unsure if I'd even had enough to live off of on a label. From all that I've researched, I'd be in debt on a label, and alot of it right?

Sorry if I'm coming off idiotic or hard to understand. I'm sleep-deprived and sick ):
Quote by Swap-Meet
Joke?

Bones makes enough money to work at a sandwich shop when he's not touring and he's able to get by.

LCB aren't exactly "mainstream" popular yes....but not really mainstream.

lcb is also a terrible, gimmicky band with very unwarranted fanbase considering their sub par music and even worse obsession with a clockwork orange.
im pretty sure labels dont pay you. labels just promote you well enough so more people would buy your stuff and go to your shows. the money-earning thing in music is pretty much dependent on the band's popularity
Quote by Zero Substance
lcb is also a terrible, gimmicky band with very unwarranted fanbase considering their sub par music and even worse obsession with a clockwork orange.

uhhh...I don't understand what that has to do with what I said...

Anyways, I'm not gonna waste my time trying to defend LCB, i think they're a great band, and like many other punk bands they are heavily influenced by a Clockwork orange.

Quote by recklessnick

but with alot of punk bands their music + a random part time job is often enough to get by...and if I could ever be that successful with my band, that'd be awesome.
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Oct 9, 2008,
Quote by original=punk
I can think of two that's music is influenced by ACO.

LCB and the Devotchkas.

Aren't the Adicts influenced by ACO? Or at least, they like to dress up as the characters from it...
Quote by original=punk
I can think of two that's music is influenced by ACO.

LCB and the Devotchkas.

There are many bands that are influenced by A Clockwork Orange, some are just a little more than others. Total Chaos makes references as well, 4 skins, the addicts, Major Accident, The Ramones, **** Sparrer...I'm sure there are others, but those are some of the most popular ones.