Ok so I have a marshall jcm900 and I just got my first pedal (holy grail) and I was wondering which spot I should plug it into because in the back there is an effects loop which I have no idea what it is and then theres just a place where you can plug inot on the front where the guitar would go in so yea where should I put it? And if its not suppose to go into the effects loop then while ur hear can you explain to me what the effects loop is and what its used for?
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
The FX loop is just to bypass the preamp(where your amp's distortion comes from) so it won't distort certain effects(delays, reverbs, etc.), because then some of them just sound like crap.

Idk where to put your pedal... (i forgot what the holy grail is, and am too lazy to look it up. )
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
The FX loop is just to bypass the preamp(where your amp's distortion comes from) so it won't distort certain effects(delays, reverbs, etc.), because then some of them just sound like crap.

Idk where to put your pedal... (i forgot what the holy grail is, and am too lazy to look it up. )

its a reverb pedal
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
FX Loop. Don't even try it in front with distortion, it will be horrible, trust me, I have one.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
usually u run guitar then go trough the pedal and then into the amp's input in the front. I have a jcm 900 and have never used the fx loop but some effects sound better in the loop. in order to use it u would just run a cable from the fx input to ur pedals then to the output. and also on the jcm 900 theres a screw or something to determine fx level if i'm not mistaken
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by riffmasterjosh
usually u run guitar then go trough the pedal and then into the amp's input in the front. I have a jcm 900 and have never used the fx loop but some effects sound better in the loop. in order to use it u would just run a cable from the fx input to ur pedals then to the output. and also on the jcm 900 theres a screw or something to determine fx level if i'm not mistaken

I kind of dont understand what does the FX level do (and im aware of the knob thzt that changes it but what does it change?)

so... is it like

| - (out)EFX LOOP(in)-------PEDAL---------
| |
| -------------------------------------------------|

and then I come out of the front of the amp?
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Quote by Brian8878682
I kind of don't understand what does the FX level do (and i'm aware of the knob that that changes it but what does it change?)

so... is it like

|--(out)EFX LOOP(in)-------PEDAL--------------l
| |
| --------------------------------------------------|

and then I come out of the front of the amp?

no, you plug your guitar into the input, the pedal is just in the chain as you have drawn.

FX Level adjusts how loud your effects in the loops are, like how much they affect the sound. The more you turn it, the more of the effect you get
Reverb 99.9% of the time is to be place after the preamp. The holy grail is best in the fx loop
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
ok thanks for the help guys ill go ahead and plug it into the FX
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
EHX Holy Grail