Alright, so my birthday is coming up (November 15) and I am wondering what I should get. My parents are probably willing to spend $150 at most. I could possibly pitch in to make it $250.

I have the following gear.

Fender Super Reverb
Crate V16
Ibanez TS-808
MXR Analog Delay
Epiphone Les Paul
Gibson Les Paul.

I was thinking a wah (possibly a 535q?) or a nice fuzz like those new MXR silicon ones. I was also thinking I could get the wah and a Cool Cat fuzz because the fuzz has a good tone for the price and I don't really need a great fuzz tone right now. I could then get new tubes or a new speaker for my V16 with money I throw in. I guess I could save it, but my parents are probably reluctant to just give me money.

I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, psychedelic, and some metal type stuff (not much). I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for me.

Thanks for all the help!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Alright, so my birthday is coming up (November 15) and I am wondering what I should get. My parents are probably willing to spend $150 at most. I could possibly pitch in to make it $250.

I have the following gear.

Fender Super Reverb
Crate V16
Ibanez TS-808
MXR Analog Delay
Epiphone Les Paul
Gibson Les Paul.

I was thinking a wah (possibly a 535q?) or a nice fuzz like those new MXR silicon ones. I was also thinking I could get the wah and a Cool Cat fuzz because the fuzz has a good tone for the price and I don't really need a great fuzz tone right now. I could then get new tubes or a new speaker for my V16 with money I throw in. I guess I could save it, but my parents are probably reluctant to just give me money.

I play blues, classic rock, hard rock, psychedelic, and some metal type stuff (not much). I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for me.

Thanks for all the help!

The 535Q is a nice versatile wah and would make a nice addition to your setup. Also, new tubes or maybe speakers such as some nice Celestion's may be a good idea.

I think you know what you want, so maybe head down to your local store and check some stuff out.
If you're happy with your rig, get some pickups. Alternately, Planet Waves makes exceptionally awesome tuning pegs that lock and cut the string for you as well. I had them on my LP back before I sold it. They were definately a good item.

If you're hell bent on buying gear, get a cheap tascam 4 track so you can record your music, man.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Well, my guitar center around here has all the pedals hooked up to an MG (puke). It has barely any selection and I have no way to try our speakers or anything like that. I might just take my chances with the wah and fuzz and then order JJ EL84s and some tungsol pre's.

Any suggestions besides what I have or just some plain reinforcing statements to make me feel better about what I should do?

I guess what I want to know is, what will make the best change in my dirty tone (for my V16)? New tubes (old ones are stock), new speaker (old one is stock) or a nice fuzz for some hendrix/page/psychedelic stuff?
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by strat0blaster
If you're happy with your rig, get some pickups. Alternately, Planet Waves makes exceptionally awesome tuning pegs that lock and cut the string for you as well. I had them on my LP back before I sold it. They were definately a good item.

If you're hell bent on buying gear, get a cheap tascam 4 track so you can record your music, man.

Yeah dude, you've got a great rig as it is. A fuzz would be a nice touch but you should get some recording gear.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
I've heard the speakers in those crates are not very good, start there, it will make more of a difference than new tubes. You should still have enough for the cool cat.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My clean tone is amazing, and I can get some good drive, but I know my V16 can sound better. I am sure I should just save it but I want to get something to appease my parents and to amuse me for a bit. The wah seems like a solid choice because it will last me a long time. The speaker and tubes would likely just get taken out when I get a new amp eventually.

I guess I do need some recording gear, but I don't think my skill warrants having any more than the microphone on my Mp3 (surprisingly better than anything I have tried so far)

Maybe save for a Laney AOR or Traynor YCV50?

Quote by Kevin Saale
I've heard the speakers in those crates are not very good, start there, it will make more of a difference than new tubes. You should still have enough for the cool cat.

You're right. I cand get a Greenback and the cool cat and have some good tone. Then whenever I get a new amp I can take out the greenback and put it in the new one.
You could get one of those boutique wah pedals that have godly sweep... or you could do what I would do and start customizing your Les Pauls (killswitch, new pickups, etc...)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??