Page 1 of 2
I have recently put a zw set of emgs (81,85) in a sg that i have customized . They dont have almost any gain and you cant even play on the clean channel and hear it when my guitar and amp is on 10 i have tried re saudering the wiring and i have tried changing the battery like 5 times and have recently bought a 20db gain booster to solve the problem what else can i do????
Last edited by vanhalenrocker1 at Oct 15, 2008,
1) what's your amp
2) did you wire them yourself?
3) did you change the pots and input jack?
check your cables. Sometimes with a bad cable, sond still comes through, yet its almost no gain. Also, did you get new pots?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Ghold125
1) what's your amp
2) did you wire them yourself?
3) did you change the pots and input jack?

i wired them my self and i have a marshall mgx100 half stack. i didn't change the pots or the input jack but i do i have another input jack i can install
Quote by acdcrocks0323
1. You can ALWAYS do a pinch harmonic.
2. Go over every direction and connection to make sure they are done right. Then make sure the guitar volume is up. May sound dumb, but you'd be surprised how many times it happens.

i have made sure everything is turned up
Quote by dcdossett65
check your cables. Sometimes with a bad cable, sond still comes through, yet its almost no gain. Also, did you get new pots?

i have not gotten new pots but i have tried all of my cables and they sound the same
Quote by vanhalenrocker1
i wired them my self and i have a marshall mgx100 half stack. i didn't change the pots or the input jack but i do i have another input jack i can install

well there's your answer.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by vanhalenrocker1
i have not gotten new pots but i have tried all of my cables and they sound the same

Did you use the 25k pots and the input jack that come with the EMG pickups? The input jack is how the battery connects to the pickups. Passive pickups use 250k or 500k pots and EMG's don't sound right if you use them.
If you didnt use the 25k pots then they wont work right at all. The jack is so the battery will disconnect and not run down when you take out the cable. Only thing that should remain from the original passives is the selector switch.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Oct 12, 2008,
Quote by vanhalenrocker1

there lay your problems...
now on a side note, why did you get EMGs?
Quote by Ghold125
there lay your problems...
now on a side note, why did you get EMGs?

thanks and i got the emgs because lots of my favorite musicians use them
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Did you use the 25k pots and the input jack that come with the EMG pickups? The input jack is how the battery connects to the pickups. Passive pickups use 250k or 500k pots and EMG's don't sound right if you use them.

i used everything that the pickups came with
Quote by Tackleberry
If you didnt use the 25k pots then they wont work right at all. The jack is so the battery will disconnect and not run down when you take out the cable. Only thing that should remain from the original passives is the selector switch.

i used the pots that came with the emgs
Quote by vanhalenrocker1
thanks and i got the emgs because lots of my favorite musicians use them

uber facepalm

a lot of your favorite musicians also use amps that dont suck.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
sorry if this threads going to turn into an amp hating thread, but thats half the reason ur EMG's arent sounding good. EMG's make solid states sound really fizzy imo
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
sorry if this threads going to turn into an amp hating thread, but thats half the reason ur EMG's arent sounding good. EMG's make solid states sound really fizzy imo
so ur saying my marshall stack is the problem when my guitar isn't putting out ENOUGH gain?
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Double check all your connections and if everything is right and they still sound bad take it to a professional to see what they think.

i have double checked all of the connections and there isn't a qualified person where i live to fix it
Quote by vanhalenrocker1
i have double checked all of the connections and there isn't a qualified person where i live to fix it

I don't know. Can you post some pics of the wiring. This just doesn't make any sense. If they're wired properly and have a good battery they should sound good. I'd like to help, but I just don't know what to tell you.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I don't know. Can you post some pics of the wiring. This just doesn't make any sense. If they're wired properly and have a good battery they should sound good. I'd like to help, but I just don't know what to tell you.

thanks for the help i'll try to get some pics of that
Quote by vanhalenrocker1
I have recently put a zw set of emgs (81,85) in a custom sg and they sound like crap. They dont have almost any gain and you cant even do a pinch harmonic i have tried re saudering the wiring and i have tried changing the battery like 5 times and have recently bought a 20db gain booster to solve the problem what else can i do????

i thought they had those quick connect cables so you didn't have to solder.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
i thought they had those quick connect cables so you didn't have to solder.

I think the quik connect cables only work if the guitar is already wired for active pickups or something? IIRC

To the TS, honestly, i dont think the EMG's will affect your tone any differently than the stock pickups with that amp.
If you're getting less gain than with the stock pickups, then theres something wrong
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
"Remember kids - Zakk Wylde uses the Marshall MG Series for crushing distortion"

Your posts were a bit confusing as you said you didnt change the pots or jack then later said you did. Im not sure what you were expecting with the EMGs, guessing you were expecting this huge change in volume or tone. Your favorite stars like zak use tube amps which work much better than SS with EMGs. There is a point where more gain doesnt have much effect. It just becomes more fizzy which will make harmonics and your tone worse not better.
Quote by Tackleberry
Your posts were a bit confusing as you said you didnt change the pots or jack then later said you did. Im not sure what you were expecting with the EMGs, guessing you were expecting this huge change in volume or tone. Your favorite stars like zak use tube amps which work much better than SS with EMGs. There is a point where more gain doesnt have much effect. It just becomes more fizzy which will make harmonics and your tone worse not better.

its not fizzy my problem is that it is too clean sounding and there isn't enough gain
Quote by xMikeyxMetalx
I think the quik connect cables only work if the guitar is already wired for active pickups or something? IIRC

To the TS, honestly, i dont think the EMG's will affect your tone any differently than the stock pickups with that amp.
If you're getting less gain than with the stock pickups, then theres something wrong

it has almost no gain at all compared to all of the rest of my guitars(epiphone black beauty, and b.c. rich v
Quote by CapnKickass
Try play it through a decent tube amp, then you'll know whether or not it's the amp or the guitar.

my other two guitars sound fine through it so its not the amp
Quote by CapnKickass
Try play it through a decent tube amp, then you'll know whether or not it's the amp or the guitar.

zakk uses the same series
Quote by vanhalenrocker1
so ur saying my marshall stack is the problem when my guitar isn't putting out ENOUGH gain?

Well if you had a great enough attention span to read more than two replies then you might know the answer to that. So in other words, yes it is part of the problem, as EMG's can make solid state amps sound fizzy. Also, you're amp sucks. You need to learn to deal with that fact and continue the rest of your playing time wishing that you didn't drop $200 on pickups that do nothing to make your sound any better.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
your not getting enough gain? thats pretty ****ed up. i thought by sound like crap, you just meant they didnt sound good. i guess you installed them wrong
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by vanhalenrocker1
zakk uses the same series

who told you that?
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
vanhalenrocker1, stop posting multiple times in a row. please use the edit button if you want to quote multiple people. it is very obnoxious (and agains the rules) to post 2+ times in a row.

as for the problem, i would say that if you are using the correct pots, correct jack and have good solder joints then it might be that the pickups are just bringing out the tone of the amps. also keep in mind that different pickups react differently to the input of amps, and this is especially true when switching from actives to passives. you may just have to re-eq your amp.
Quote by jof1029
vanhalenrocker1, stop posting multiple times in a row. please use the edit button if you want to quote multiple people. it is very obnoxious (and agains the rules) to post 2+ times in a row.

as for the problem, i would say that if you are using the correct pots, correct jack and have good solder joints then it might be that the pickups are just bringing out the tone of the amps. also keep in mind that different pickups react differently to the input of amps, and this is especially true when switching from actives to passives. you may just have to re-eq your amp.

thanks didn't no that rule and what do u mean about re-eq what is that? i have heard from some people who have had the same problem and they just had a bad jack from emg and i will try a different one and about ddougs reply i got them cause the pickups in it were cheap ones and were not sounding good either
Last edited by vanhalenrocker1 at Oct 13, 2008,
^ re-eq means that your amp isnt going to sound the same with different guitars. so you need to mess with the eq and gain settings. sometimes all you need is to change your eq when you change guitars.
actives will sound like utter shit through an MG anyways.

also does this kid seriously think that zw uses marshall mgs, or am i misreading?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
alright im sorry i dont have an extra $2000 to buy a tube amp im only 13 and got the stack as a present. i might be mistaken but isn't a tube amp old technology and the mg brand new technology? i just dont see how thats my problem they sound like im playing through the clean channel and i have tried almost every combination with my amp. To top that all off u cant even hear the guitar on clean when everything is turned all the way up so i doubt that it can be my amp not the pickups my other guitars work fine on my clean channel.
Newer means better?

Also, the MG is probably the worst application of "newer" solid-state technology.

Would you laugh if I told you that that old prehistoric "old" technology sounds heaps and heaps better than the "new" technology, usually? If only...

And like people have said, the output of an EMG will make a ss MG sound even worse.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Page 1 of 2