So, yeah. My dad and I are looking to go "computer" with recording (he has a workstation that he's used for a long time and I want to start recording some stuff myself) and we're a bit lost on exactly what we're going to need. We know enough to want to go Mac, and we're looking at Logic Studio (but we'll mess about in Garageband until we can justify $500 for software). So, here's our planned rig:

Mac Mini 2.0GHz
Garageband (for now), Logic Studio
iDrum
Focusrite Saffire Firewire Audio Interface
His very expensive Roland studio monitors
An also expensive vocal mic he has + various misc. mics

Am I missing anything quite glaring that could bring it crashing to the ground? We're not going to need a mixer I don't think because neither of us will be recording more than one thing at a time (he does folky stuff and I'm gonna be doing pop-punkish stuff). I do have some questions about the stuff I have listed there, though.

The Focusrite Interface, does the fact that it has two mic inputs and two instrument inputs mean that it can record more than one track/input at a time, in case we ever need to? Will the Mac Mini be powerful enough to begin with?

Feel free to offer alternatives to the stuff listed up there... as far as audio interfaces go, we want something firewire and something preferably with S/PDIF out for the monitors.

I know next to nothing about these types of shenanigans, so if I'm totally wrong, feel free to tell me.

Also, bonus question: I'm a bit concerned about ambient noise from me playing the guitar while micing my amp. If I have, say, an SM-58 pointed directly at the speaker of my cab, and I'm sitting about 8 or 10 feet away, how much of an impact will the ambient noise of me physically hitting the strings have on what the mic hears?
Last edited by whiteraven119 at Oct 6, 2008,
Looks alright, but I would get Logic as soon as you can. If your amp is loud enough, the mic should pick up you much at all, and nothing slight compression or noise reduction couldn't fix.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by aetherspear
Looks alright, but I would get Logic as soon as you can. If your amp is loud enough, the mic should pick up you much at all, and nothing slight compression or noise reduction couldn't fix.
Bugera 333XL Halfstack I think I'm good.

Also, how will latency be? I'm a bit concerned about that, because my early forays into recording, messing about with Audacity, were laden with latency that made it impossible to do more than one guitar track. Is that because I'm using the onboard integrated sound on my laptop, and I assume the audio interface will remedy all that?
Honestly, for your interface budget you should look into a PreSonus FP10. It's only $100 more than the Focusrite and it really opens up your recording options. Better quality in my opinion as well.

You should have little to no latency with either interface. And yes the Focusrite will let you record two instruments/mics simultaneously.

Both the Focusrite anf the PreSonus ship with Cubase LE. You should try that suite out as well before spending the big money on Logic.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by Death-Speak
Honestly, for your interface budget you should look into a PreSonus FP10. It's only $100 more than the Focusrite and it really opens up your recording options. Better quality in my opinion as well.

You should have little to no latency with either interface. And yes the Focusrite will let you record two instruments/mics simultaneously.

Both the Focusrite anf the PreSonus ship with Cubase LE. You should try that suite out as well before spending the big money on Logic.
I think we're gonna go with the Focusrite either way, we don't need lotsa channels yet.

As far as Cubase LE goes, I've heard some bad things about it. Plus, we're going to go with Logic Express, as we sat down and looked at the stuff that came with both Express and Studio and realized that half of the stuff that comes with studio we'll never use... and the half we do need is included in Express. So, yeah, that's $300 less we have to spend
That's cool, the PreSonus is only a suggestion. It's probably THE best price/performance/channels interface on the market right now.

I've yet to hear anything bad about Cubase either...
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic