Page 1 of 2
Hey! if you had $600-1000 to spend on your first electric guitar, what would you buy?

Looking for
TREM, fast neck, versatile.

please no strats.
Its in the sig. DKMG, son. LFR, which is beatiful btw, fast neck and EMG 81/85s.
Gear:
Jackson DKMG
Yamaha Acoustic
Knockoff Strat
Vox AD30VT
Boss MT-2
Crybaby wah
Boss DD-3

The Ultra Balls. Throw them.

Member of the ANTI-IBANEZ MILITIA!
Fail at those recommending Schecters for shred.

TC, you'll probably want and unfinished neck, alder body, and some sort of H-S config.

Somethin' like this.

Also, if you are not only against fender strats, but this strat shape in general, this will also do.

Not so hot for Jackson? I'd recommend a good ol' ibby.
Last edited by Beebaboo at Oct 6, 2008,
Quote by Beebaboo

TC, you'll probably want and unfinished neck, alder body, and some sort of H-S config.

Somethin' like this.

Also, if you are not only against fender strats, but this strat shape in general, this will also do.

Yum, midrange jacksons with junk LFR and bolt on necks..
Either a Schecter C1
A Jackson Dinky (one of the propper ones)
or
An Ibanez RG1570

All 3 are great guitars and i wish i could have 1 of each, but unfortunately i cant. I spent a while trying to decide which of these 3 to get, and i chose the Ibanez just by the skin of a jewish boys penis.

They are all great, and it is just a matter of which feels better to you.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by rocktag

too bad theres nothing wrong with bolt on necks.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
thanks guys! besides jacksons are there any other guitars that are good for shreds/versatile... looking at ibanez + jacksons so far.
Im lending towards the ibanez cause im not a HUGE fan of the jackson body.

Thanks for the suggestions though
Quote by rocktag

You're an idiot. The JT580 isn't a junk LFR, and bolt on necks are just as good if not better (easier to fix) than a set neck or neck-through. And if you have a Floyd your sustain goes down the shitter no matter what neck joint you have.

Anyway, add another vote for the RG1570. While the Jackson JT580 isn't junk, it also isn't amazing, but the Edge Pro is (especially if you change the studs out for locking ones). Ibanez stock pickups are pretty mediocre, but the overall quality of an MIJ Ibby will be better than that of an MIJ Jackson.
Schecter necks works if he has a large hand. If not go Ibanez Prestige line, super thin necks.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Either a Schecter C-1 FR which would be your best bet, or an Ibanez Prestige(2550 or 2570). Very fast necks and thin, but not made as well as the schecter which is cheaper. The Schecter has a thicker neck though. But, the Schecter has an OFR(Original FLoyd Rose), Neck-Thru construction, and EMG 81/89 Actives.
^ Most Schecter C-1 necks are set. Hollywood and Classics are neck-thu.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Im sorry Eclipse CT but i found the Ibanez to feel much better built and better quality then a schecter C1, It may have better pickups etc but theres no way its as 'quality' an instrument as an ibanez RG P
RG's & Mesa's
Jackson SL3
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR!!!!
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by Beebaboo

Somethin' like this.

Wow your stupid, ever heard of jeff loomis? guitar god go look him up and he use's schecters im sure you'll know what i mean.

As for shredding? i recommend an Ibanez or a Jackson.
Deans are cool. could get a Cadillac, Razorback V, ML with Floyd. Lots of guitars within that range.
Quote by rocktag
= too bad theres nothing wrong with being a homo

I'm not sure quite what you're impying with this, but there really is nothing wrong with Bolt Necks.
People may prefer others but having a bolt on neck won't ensure your guitar is anyworse than a set or neckthrough guitar.

With that money I'd most likely go for an Ibanez RG1570, Schecter Hellraiser FR, one of those new Charvel So-Cal's (though maybe a bit too strat for you), BC Rich gunslinger retro, or possibly an old Ibanez PGM300 (one with a trem) if you can find one.
anyone know if you can buy the charvel so-cal in the UK? they look amazing I would get that if I was the ts or ibanez rg550 off ebay
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
I'm in the same situation as the TS except my budget is a bit lower. 500-750ish I have been looking at the ESP LTD MH-400. It seems pretty good for shred, am I wrong about LTD's for shred? Also I found a good deal on a schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR but will then neck be alittle too thick to play like shred and other fast leads comfortably? I am looking at the C-1 Hellraiser FR, the Jackson RR3, the LTD MH-400 and the jackson DKMG which is the mostl ikely choice for me right now. Maybe these 4 guitars will help you TS? Also not to hijack the thread but if anyone could give me an opinion on these 4 guitars for fast leads and shred I'd really appreciate it.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Dunno Slanderous666, many have voted ibanez and jacksons as shredding guitars. At least you have narrowed down to 4 guitars. I guess you try em all and see which one feels good and sounds good in your hands and ears.

Anyone tried a Parker P44? damn ugly but it's kinda what im after http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRKP44GB

ibanez have terrible trems? which series in particular?
People complain that bolt on necks dont provide as good upper frett access, but what is more important than the type of the neck is the shape of the body. Consider this as well. Thats why i hate les pauls, cant get ur damn hand around the neck
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by rocktag
= too bad theres nothing wrong with being a homo

If you're going to be that way, atleast use proper grammar. There's nothing wrong with bolt-on necks, and recent studies have shown they have more sustain than any other type of neck joint. Second, the Jackson LFR is, dare I say it, almost equal to a MIG OFR. Many custom Jackson guitars are ordered with the Jackson LFR. When Alexi and Roope (CoB) played CS Jackson guitars, they had the Jackson LFR on their guitars, and they held tune fine.

I don't think being homosexual has anything to do with guitars, though, but feel free to enlighten me if it does.
^

But seriously, a good bolt on is far better than a bad set neck or bad neck-through. A good heel will make the reach just as easy - if not easier.

If you don't mind strat shapes, a high quality RG is probably a safe bet. If you're looking for a V then maybe an ESP or Jackson. I don't know my Vs very well, so I can't help you too much.
Quote by di$TOrTed
rg1570 prestige

+1

I own one... It has an amazingly thing neck, really good for shred, and a very solid bridge system
Quote by edusty2010
If you're going to be that way, atleast use proper grammar. There's nothing wrong with bolt-on necks, and recent studies have shown they have more sustain than any other type of neck joint.

I don't think being homosexual has anything to do with guitars, though, but feel free to enlighten me if it does.

There indeed is nothing wrong with bolt ons. They are great. I prefer them over set necks without a doubt.
But i dont agree on them having the best sustain. A Neckthu guitar will always have a better sustain than the bolt on version of the same guitar (same bodywood, same bridge, same shape, etc.) although i have to agree that the difference will be minor.
The thing is that if you buy a bolt on guitar that is relatively cheap (lets say under 1000$), you have a big chance that the sustain wont be optimal.
But there are expensive top end guitars (like John suhr guitars, Jackson USA dinky, Fender CS, Music mans, etc etc) who have inpeccable bolt on neck joints, which have a great sustain.
So if you go for some kind of neckjoint, dont do it for the 1-2% extra sustain, but do it for the comfort. If you prefer to have some kind of heel, go bolt on. If not, take a necktrough.
Why wouldnt i pick a set neck?
- You have the heel, but its a pain to change the neck when its damaged. So the bolt on is better imo.

Oh and +1 on the stupid remark on homo's. He should be reported imo. Its just plain offensive.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 8, 2008,
Quote by nightraven
you have to order them from ebay, they're only produced and sold in america (so far). the series is only a few months old and there are limited batches of each colour, which are updated every couple of months.

i reported him last night when he posted.

aw that sucks, i think they look lush i really like the headstock for some reason lol
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by LP_CL
There indeed is nothing wrong with bolt ons. They are great. I prefer them over set necks without a doubt.
But i dont agree on them having the best sustain. A Neckthu guitar will always have a better sustain than the bolt on version of the same guitar (same bodywood, same bridge, same shape, etc.) although i have to agree that the difference will be minor.
The thing is that if you buy a bolt on guitar that is relatively cheap (lets say under 1000$), you have a big chance that the sustain wont be optimal.
But there are expensive top end guitars (like John suhr guitars, Jackson USA dinky, Fender CS, Music mans, etc etc) who have inpeccable bolt on neck joints, which have a great sustain.
So if you go for some kind of neckjoint, dont do it for the 1-2% extra sustain, but do it for the comfort. If you prefer to have some kind of heel, go bolt on. If not, take a necktrough.
Why wouldnt i pick a set neck?
- You have the heel, but its a pain to change the neck when its damaged. So the bolt on is better imo.

Oh and +1 on the stupid remark on homo's. He should be reported imo. Its just plain offensive.

Correct, it's really what you like more. I forget where I saw the study, but it was basically saying that the neck joint had almost nothing to do with sustain, and it was more quality of wood and other things. Plus the difference (they tested high quality guitars) was actually so minute it couldn't even be heard by human ears. I'll try to find it and link you to it, although I do have to agree every neck through I've played has clearly had more sustain. I wasn't trying to state it as my opinion or as fact, just showing him that different people have different opinions.

And I've reported him too. Here it is, almost 2009, and we're still using "gay" as an insult? Come on.
Quote by rocktag
Yum! Midrange Jacksons with excellent LFRs and bolt-on necks!!

What he said!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
fail to those who says fail to Schecter as an shred guitar!

Schecter Hellraiser/Blackjack ATX are both really great guitars..... And their necks isn't THAT thick - they're thicker than the super thin Ibanez's, but besides that they're pretty much the same thickness as so many other guitars! The neck on my Schecter Jeff Loomis has the same thickness as the neck on the ESP LTD EX400 fx.

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
^Bullocks. They are totally different necks. The Loomis is a 26.5 scale neck 7 string and the EX400 is a 25.5 scale 6 string. You cant compare them.
And yes, you can shred on any guitar. Its just a fact that schecter has big fat necks. Sorry, but it just IS like that. And thats not ment negative, its just a spec. Some people do prefer thick necks. But most 'shredders' and metal players tend to love thinner necks.

Besides all that, that doesnt change the fact that schecter necks are finished badly. The luthiers dont let (on the finished necks) the woods, finish and paint dry long enough (because they have to keep the costs at a minimum) which results in sticky necks.
And the 5 schecters i've played in my life all had poor fret placement.
That was what i was talking about earlier.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Oct 9, 2008,
I use schecter c1's and ibanez's with wizard I (thinnest wizard) and II and don't find any problems

defiantly either a 1570 or c-1 hellraiser or blackjack atx (own one)
Page 1 of 2