So I've been saving up for some new gear for a while and I've got about 600USD. I've got a Crate 120w SS HS ( ) that I'm hoping to sell for around 400-450USD. Now the dilemma is that I've used the money to help out my family's financial situation (due to a recent hurricane) because I thought I wouldn't have enough to get some new gear soon.

Now should I just sell my Crate and Spider III 15W and get around 500USD and get an amp from that price range or should I get some money back from the family and get a better amp. The problem with the last option is I would really feel like an asshole because I know I don't really need that much and I'm not very sure how my family's financial situation is at the moment, but at the same time, I don't want to buy an amp just to have to sell it later on because it's not good enough, like I did with the Crate.

I guess what I'm really asking is:

What's the best amp in the 500-600USD range?

What's the best amp in the 1000-1100USD range?

What would you do in my situation?

Also, another note I would like to add is that I've been saving for a guitar as well, so any extra money would go toward that.

Thanks for all the help.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Best amp for what genre of music? Artists you'd like to sound similar to?

Oh forgot that bit. I'm into a lot of different stuff. I really like metal and rock, but I also like funk and ska as well. Some of my favorite guitarists are Paul Gilbert, John Frusciante, Yngwie, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, and Petrucci. I know that probably doesn't help much given the tonal variety, but I guess just what amp would be best for a variety of different styles.
look at sum carvin amps, there are a few around that price range that sound quite nice.
Quote by Ajax413
Oh forgot that bit. I'm into a lot of different stuff. I really like metal and rock, but I also like funk and ska as well. Some of my favorite guitarists are Paul Gilbert, John Frusciante, Yngwie, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, and Petrucci. I know that probably doesn't help much given the tonal variety, but I guess just what amp would be best for a variety of different styles.

Well, Froosh, Gilbert, Trucks, Bonamassa on I think Yngwie too, all use British-voiced amps.
On the lower price range of things, a Traynor YCV50 Blue can cost anywhere between 400-650 bucks. This'll be good for the lower gain stuff. Grab an OD pedal for Gilbert, Petrucci and Yngwie.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll look into Carvin and Traynor when I get the chance.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, Froosh, Gilbert, Trucks, Bonamassa on I think Yngwie too, all use British-voiced amps.
On the lower price range of things, a Traynor YCV50 Blue can cost anywhere between 400-650 bucks. This'll be good for the lower gain stuff. Grab an OD pedal for Gilbert, Petrucci and Yngwie.

Derek Trucks uses Fender Super Reverbs. Read: not british-voiced.
“Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act.” - Leonard Cohen

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall" - Confucius
Quote by forsaknazrael

+1 this.
No amp in that price range will do British voicing better then the Traynor. Juat needs a bit more gain