I got a 4x12, 120w crappy Crate cab from a friend. It was only 60 bucks and I didn't even pay for it, my band did... and I was wondering what exactly the 120 watts meant. Is that all it can handle? The head I'm about to get is exactly 120w (TUBE) also... so is that a perfect match? I remember reading one of the stickies and it said something about tube amps actually push out more watts when distorted... and if the cab can only handle 120 watts then... boom?

Anyone care to elaborate and help me out?
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 7, 2008,
if my sources told me correctly, it means that the cab can only handle up to 120 watts before maxing out and blowing out the speakers. however(but dont quote me on this) i THINK that by simply getting more powerful speakers into the cab then it can handle more watts. with a tube amp though, it should be able to handle 120w fine i believe, simply because the head would have to be maxed out to hit 120 and you will never need to do that. this is all could be wrong, but thats what i have been told
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
LOL,

there should be no reason for you to be hitting 120 watts. It would probably be a good idea if you just never turned it up that loud haha. Just mic it up at gigs
So a slightly (or highly?) cranked 120w tube amp wont completely kill a 120w cab, that was most likely made for a solid state head?

Actually the friend that gave it to me tested it in front of me, with his Krank, which is 120w also... i THINK. It might have been 100w...
I mean, some amps like the 6505+ pump out 120watts. So maybe you'd be touching the line. But I doubt that you'd actually be able to get that loud.

You'd need to saturate the power tubes so much that you'd probably break windows.
i dont think it should. a cab is a cab. otherwise theyd sell just cabs for tubes. imagine that. it would be like 800 bucks for a "tube" cab wattage is just wattage. so it can handle 120 watts be it SS or tube. so it should be fine.

hmm... well okay then. I guess I'll take my chances. It's a Bugera 333xl 120w head, and I probably won't crank it very much, it'll be in my room most of the time and I'll most likely get an attenuator. Live, I just use the other guitarists 5150, but I want a tube amp for myself, and thought I may just end up using my own amp live, and I don't want to kill this cab...
i doubt you would kill the cab,even playing it at shows. you would never get loud enough on the head to do it. if your that nervous about it though, why not save up to get some better speakers for it? if you are using it just for your room then theres no way the speakers will die unless they are already dying