I'm going to customise my strat, so I'm obviously going to have to take the neck off, what is the way to make sure the neck doesnt re-adjust while outside the guitar and when it gets put back onto the guitar with the strings.
Thanks
it shouldn't change much, if at all. i think that would require some crazy changes in storage conditions. on a related note, i've never had a problem putting necks i've got off of ebay onto bodies -- i have no idea how long they've been off their respective guitars and all that.

the most you'll have to do is slightly adjust the truss rod, if at all.
Quote by CapnMudGuru
it shouldn't change much, if at all. i think that would require some crazy changes in storage conditions. on a related note, i've never had a problem putting necks i've got off of ebay onto bodies -- i have no idea how long they've been off their respective guitars and all that.

the most you'll have to do is slightly adjust the truss rod, if at all.
Not really.

• The tension of the truss rod balances out the tension of the strings. Without it, the neck would bow.
  • When you remove strings, you remove the tension bowing the neck forward
  • If you remove the strings, the truss-rod tension will begin to bow the neck backward.
  • If a guitar neck is stored long-term without strings the truss-rod should be loosened.
  • If you keep track of how much far the bolt-head is turned, it's easy to re-tension the same.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It's fine. I've taken the neck off my guitar many times. Even after taking it off, scalloping the fretboard, and leaving it off for about 3 days, it still didn't bow significantly (1/4 turn of truss rod straightened it back out).
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Not really.

• The tension of the truss rod balances out the tension of the strings. Without it, the neck would bow.
  • When you remove strings, you remove the tension bowing the neck forward
  • If you remove the strings, the truss-rod tension will begin to bow the neck backward.
  • If a guitar neck is stored long-term without strings the truss-rod should be loosened.
  • If you keep track of how much far the bolt-head is turned, it's easy to re-tension the same.

i haven't had that problem, really. all i've had to do is adjust the truss rod slightly, basically just like you, myself, and angus there said.
ok, thanks. So with my squier strat that i'm customising is the adjustment up in the headstock or in the body? it's chinese.
Thanks-especially SomeoneYouKnew for the concise and clear info
Quote by Cachao
ok, thanks. So with my squier strat that i'm customising is the adjustment up in the headstock or in the body? it's chinese.
Thanks-especially SomeoneYouKnew for the concise and clear info

the adjustment will be in the headstock, you should see a hole right after your nut. your truss rod is in that.
OK thanks, I wasnt sure whether that was just a non adjustable end.