Ok newbie question, I can put them on but what I always seem to fail on is making sure I get alot of winds on each string as opposed to tightening like 2 times then thats it.

Is there a way you can see how far you pull the strings up so that you have enough to put alot of winds round it to help the tuning/detuning in future etc.

Thanks,

Rowan
what i do is i stick the string tru the cavity hole at the bridge up to the nut and tru the winder. Then I take the string and put it back through the hole for about the distance between 2 winding pegs( about 2 or 3 inches)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
when pulling the string through the tuner i pull it through bout 5 or 6 inches (depending on the string i may pull it further) so theres still alot of slack in the string above the fret board, then just tune it up n i usually get bout 3 - 5 winds on the smaller strings n 2 - 4 on bigger 1s.
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by xxdarrenxx
what i do is i stick the string tru the cavity hole at the bridge up to the nut and tru the winder. Then I take the string and put it back through the hole for about the distance between 2 winding pegs( about 2 or 3 inches)

Yep, this is generally considered to be the method of choice.

BB King used the entire string, BTW. He didn't cut anything off. While it certainly didn't exactly look neat & tidy, he didn't seem to have issues with it.

Normally, you run the risk of excess turns causing an annoying amount of constant stretch in those turns. When you stretch the string, you don't get all the potential stretch out of that area, and you have to retune frequently.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I turn my tuning pegs so the holes are perpendicular to the string, feed the string through, pull the string through, but not completely tight. Now, grab the string at the nut and, starting with the low E, slide the string back out the distance of 1 fret. Get a little further with each string, and the high E string should end up bein pulled to about the 2nd fret.