So I understand this is where we can discuss ska and reggae music.

Anyone else a fan of Prince Buster? Did the song 'Al Capone' which Specials did a cover called 'Gangsters' and did the original 'One Step Beyond' which Madness covered.

Very good stuff for my rude boys to check out if you don't know about this stuff.
I quite like prince buster I've only got a few songs of comps and such like one step beyond and judge dread, pretty cool stuff though, worth checking out.
Al Capone's guns don't argue!

*Dom doom doom doom* Chick-a *Da da, da da da, da, da*

Haha, love that song. Also a fan of The Ten Commandments, Madness, Sit and Wonder, and especially Judge Dread. Gotta love Prince Buster. Even better than Desmond Dekker, in my opinion.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
I have FABulous greatest hits and I quite like it.

I don't buy many Reggae or Ska Cd's though.

I want vinyl for that. Only we don't have a vinyl store around here. Let alone a reggae specialty shop.

I've been old school Ska-ing it up as of late.
Its not hard to order good ska vinyl. Ska sounds so much better on vinyl and is almost necessary for it. When that needle hits the record with that scratch noise and it busts some 1960s jams its a great feeling.

Ye ah I wanted to see who here is also into this. Lately I've been thinking the punk forum is 90% little pop punk and emo boys.
King.

If you want to make more 2tone references, then you could always say that Madness's song "the prince" is about him too.

And as to the vinyl thing, all dance music sounds better on vinyl, and singles in general are a better purchase.
Quote by SillyRabit
Its not hard to order good ska vinyl. Ska sounds so much better on vinyl and is almost necessary for it. When that needle hits the record with that scratch noise and it busts some 1960s jams its a great feeling.

Ye ah I wanted to see who here is also into this. Lately I've been thinking the punk forum is 90% little pop punk and emo boys.

Not really. There are several of them, but there are also quite a few fans of proto-punk, post-punk, glam, '77, crust, and a few hardcore and street-punk fans. But most have fairly diverse musical taste.
Quote by crustyreed
Q: if i was to search for a prince buster album online which would be the best?

Just go for a greatest hits or something. Ska (especially first wave ska) is defined by singles, not albums.
First off Prince Buster is great. I love him and Desmond Dekker.

For albums see if you can get a copy of FABulous Greatest Hits - 1963-1981. It covers the bases nicely.
I like Prince Buster, but I like Desmond Dekker a little more. I haven't listened to classic ska extensively. Best reggae band is Toots and the Maytals.

Maytals >>>>>>>>>>> Bob Marley. Yeah, I said it.

Quote by SillyRabit

There's like ten of us, and two or three are girls. And we discuss stuff in this forum because if you post any GOOD pop punk bands in PP&E, everyone there ignores it except usually Andrewbiles and FuzzyBear.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by werty22
Bob Marley is terribly overrated.

Bob Marleys music got huge. But Marley and the Wailers wrote some amazing songs.

I wouldn't say he's terribly overrated. His song writing is beyond most reggae and ska artists. By far.
I don't have a problem with Bob Marley. It's just his fans who are irritating as hell. Reggae fans usually seem to listen to Marley and have never heard of any other reggae artists. I know a dude whose life revolves around reggae and marijuana, and if you mention the Wailers or Sublime, he can talk for hours, but the Maytals or even Desmond Dekker don't ring a bell. A dude at a show asked him about the Specials once and he had never even heard the name before.

This is my number one experience with Bob Marley fans.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by TerryHall
Bob Marleys music got huge. But Marley and the Wailers wrote some amazing songs.

I wouldn't say he's terribly overrated. His song writing is beyond most reggae and ska artists. By far.

Mainly it just annoys me that he's the only reggae musician most people have ever heard of. He's like what Elvis Presley is to Rock and Roll of the '50s.
I think you guys have bad experience with Bob Marley fans but what does that have to do with Bob Marleys music?

I have a loooooooot of friends into reggae into ska and Bob Marley isn't their favorite musician but we all acknowledge that Marley and with the Wailers wrote amaaaaaaaaaaaazing songs. Certainly not the most in reggae but one of the best. Not one of my favorite to listen to but writes with the best of them.

And uhh ... guns of navarone
I didn't say I don't like his music. I do. I just said he's overrated. So are the Beatles. So are The Clash (my favorite band).
Yeah bob marleys is overrated, my favorite wailer was definitely Peter Tosh though.
still havn't Dl'ed this prince Buster yet though.