i got a quetsion about theory i know some scales and all major and minor chords and i was just wondering how to put it all together i've only playing a couple months and when i jam ive just been using the root note or mostly follow the tyrhtm guitar i was just wondering when its alright ti add the 5 7 3 notes and when to use the scale any help would be much appriciated
whenever you want to dude
Quote by Victor Wooten
Frontbassman, You Win!
Also, Sig this or die!

^Yea you read right, Victor Wooten just gave me a complement.

Quote by kevin14u2nv

dude, in flames sucks.
all their music sounds the same

^ he listens to dragonforce
Quote by drewface
i got a quetsion about theory i know some scales and all major and minor chords and i was just wondering how to put it all together i've only playing a couple months and when i jam ive just been using the root note or mostly follow the tyrhtm guitar i was just wondering when its alright ti add the 5 7 3 notes and when to use the scale any help would be much appriciated

The trick here is that you have to find the key that you're playing in.

The key is a scale that is set for the standard of notes and the progressions for them, this is why sometimes in sheet music you will see some accidentals (# and b) next to the note itself.

The root note of the chord the guitarist may be playing is not the root of the key.

Now...I'm going to cut to the chase. When you go to apply a scale to your playing, you want to apply it from the root note of the chord, but take it from where it is in the scale of the key.

Lets say that your guitarist is hitting the G power chord, but the key of the song is in the scale of C, which is C D E F G A B C (WWHWWWH, W is Whole step which is 2 frets, and H is half step which is 1 fret). The progression you make in the key scale after G is a whole step (G to A), and then you just follow the key scale the rest of the way depending on how high you want to go.

This is what my band teacher told me when I asked him.

It seems to work well from my experimentation, but sorry if I'm wrong.
Quote by mcrocks
I mean, some people still think that Rap is music, although that's been scientifically discredited.
you probably don't know "all about chords" if you wonder when to use things.

People generally just use the root, third, and fifth/the triad during downbeats and the other chord tones and non-chord tones on upbeats and the in-betweens.

Jamming is far more leniently theoretically because no one is set to a given key. Either way, theory is just a guideline.

You need to learn your keys, as death prog said.
Say you're in the key of C.
the notes in said key are C D E F G A and B.
This means the primary triads are C E G, D F A, E G B, F A C, G B D, A C E, and B D F.
This means you have a I (major chord based on the root), ii (minor based on the second), iii (based on the 3rd), IV, V, vi, and a vii diminished chord.

Playing along is all about recognizing chords and what notes / intervals blend well together, and what rhymes form good textures.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Sorry for shameless self promotion here, but my thread deals with something you could use here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955858

If you guys figure out what kind of progression you want to use, you can use any of those modes to write lines around

If you were writing in Major, you'd have your choice of
I Ionian
IV Lydian (very common)
V Mixolydian

or Major you'd have your choice of
ii Phrygian
iii Dorian (very common)
vi Aeolian (works well as relative minor)
vii Locrian
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by TomD03
Sorry for shameless self promotion here, but my thread deals with something you could use here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955858

If you guys figure out what kind of progression you want to use, you can use any of those modes to write lines around

If you were writing in Major, you'd have your choice of
I Ionian
IV Lydian (very common)
V Mixolydian

or Minor you'd have your choice of
ii Phrygian
iii Dorian (very common)
vi Aeolian (works well as relative minor)

or in Diminished:
vii Locrian

Fixed.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by WhyLater
Fixed.

Haha my bad, thnx