Hey everyone, I'm going to apply to various animation schools this winter, and Calarts is on the top of my list.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. How good of an artist do you need to be? What are they looking for in a portfolio? Are there any Do's and Dont's? What kind of animation should be on the demo reel, what quality are they expecting of an applicants artwork?

I basically need to find a starting point and make a plan of how my portfolio is going to be made.

any suggestions?
Don't they have a website? And relax, any schmuck can get into animation school
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Don't they have a website? And relax, any schmuck can get into animation school

and yes, basically it says "draw from real life and make your demo reel short and good"
I have no idea what level the people who get accepted are at.
^ Does it really say that?
Sounds proffessional.
Our program is based on animated narrative acting, which is based on observational draughtsmanship as well as the language of the human body. We feel that the stronger your life drawing is, the more believable your animated actor will be. At least 80% of your application portfolio should be drawings of real people and real animals from real life—these drawings ought to range from 1-minute gestures to longer poses. Landscape drawings, including interiors as well as exteriors, animal, bird, marine drawings and floral studies, both linear as well as color, are a plus.

Doesn't seem to difficult, just make it as life-like as possible
Quote by metaldud536
Some of the best animeted films were Anime.

I know but cal-arts doesnt like anime

I love anime though
Quote by metaldud536
Some of the best animeted films were Anime.

depends on ones taste, plus anime is too simplistic and not lifelike enough for what he's talking about.

gennerally for this sort of think you want to go for the level of better drawn comic books in terms of charcter design, the really hard part is getting the movement to look lifelike.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm