Okay, I know this is probably a ridiculous place to talk about this, but I just feel like I need to vent. Last year I applied to law school on a half baked whim and I did really well on my LSATs and eventually got a full scholarship for a lower caliber university. Even though it was not where I wanted to go and I wasn't even sure I wanted to go to law school, I accepted the offer as everyone told me it was too good of an offer to pass up. So about a month into school I realized I hated it and had no desire to pursue a legal career. I also found that the employment possibilities after graduation were extremely limited and dire at best. I started missing some classes and I told the registrar I was considering withdrawing. From that point on, they called me every day asking for me to make a decision so that the law school could get some of the tuition money back from the university. (The law school apparently paid for my tuition to the university, if that makes sense) So when I was told that I was financially impacting the law school, I made the decision to drop out officially. This was about a month ago. Yesterday I received a bill from the university in the amount of $8500 stating that the law school was refunded the scholarship and I was responsible for paying it. I've called the university, the law school, and financial aid and at this point I am waiting for a call back from administrators at these offices. I know that it my decisions were half-assed, but I only made them because at each point I was told that I would incur no financial impact. The law school asked me repeatedly to make a decision so that they could recover a portion of their money from the university. Why would they rush a decision if it would only impact me financially? Does anyone else think that I am not getting a fair shake and what would you do in the situation? If you have any other horror stories please share, misery loves company.

EDIT: This is the main reason I think that it is unfair for me to pay for the tuition. If I were to have stayed enrolled for the semester, and simply not attended class and flunked out, the law school would have gotten none of their scholarship returned. Since I made the decision early, they received the full scholarship back at this point, but imo are entitled to only the partial tuition reimbursement that I am entitled to.
Last edited by bmac85 at Oct 7, 2008,
I thought this was "Screwed at University"

I was disappointed.

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Quote by saphrax
You VS Law School in a legal battle...

Law School WINS! Flawless Victory!

HUMILIATING DEFEAT!
wat.
I'm having nothing but trouble with student loans at the moment, as well.

one person tells you theres no problem, the other says "oops, you dont get student loans after all"
Quote by technocheese
HUMILIATING DEFEAT!

Appeal?

DOUBLE FLAWLESS! FATALITY!
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by thanksgiving
I thought this was "Screwed at University"

I was disappointed.

that would have been a much better story. Sorry to hear this though TS that is a heavy sum.
i dropped out of my first university after 2 days. no money had actually gone out yet so i was lucky but i knew the sooner i made the decision, the better. the accomodation still didn't give me all my money back seeing as i was there for 2 nights, so technically i payed for those 2 nights.

while you may have to pay for however many weeks you were attending and staying in the accomodation, you certainly shouldn't have to pay a whole year's worth.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Sol9989
i dropped out of my first university after 2 days. no money had actually gone out yet so i was lucky but i knew the sooner i made the decision, the better. the accomodation still didn't give me all my money back seeing as i was there for 2 nights, so technically i payed for those 2 nights.

while you may have to pay for however many weeks you were attending and staying in the accomodation, you certainly shouldn't have to pay a whole year's worth.

Haven't seen you in a while. Why did you drop out?
Dude you should read the letter that they sent to you with the terms of your scholarship. (if you dont have one the university will, and they will have to give it to you) make sure that what you did was not covered under the contract, and then seek legal advice. Likewise any inhouse stuff with a law school should be governed by consul.
i enjoy head
It's ridiculous to have to pay for University at all.
Free Education FTW!
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Free Education FTW!

Free Education FTW!

that whiney, patronising, take-the-piss tone of voice doesn't translate well onto the internet

is $8500 the full tuition amount?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Free Education FTW!

that whiney, patronising, take-the-piss tone of voice doesn't translate well onto the internet

is $8500 the full tuition amount?

The 8500 is what is due for the time I attended and the rest has been refunded completely. I got a call back from the financial aid office today and the director said he agrees with me and that the scholarship should be prorated for the time I was there and that I should owe nothing. However since the problem is with the law school and not with the university's financial aid office, they said they can't do anything about it and that I need to speak with the law school. Called them again and left a message with a different person, waiting for a call back... In the mean time, I can't sleep or eat and have no desire to do anything with this possible debt hanging over my head...I wish the ghost of johnny cochran would come help me
think of it from their point of view.

you withdrew from the offer, not the other way around. why should they be put out because you had a change of heart?

let's face it, you took the offer because it was too good to turn down. you thought you'd take advantage of their low offer, and now that your good deal isn't so good. you want out.

why should you be entitled to any of the scholarship? you didn't complete any of your obligations.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
solution:

become a lawyer and battle your creators.

This. XD
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
It's obvious, isn't it? Burn that motherfucker to the ground.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Create the Tom-Sawyer 8500 Amp
With righteous distortion
and "Sue me clean(s)"

That should cover the costs

But dude.
You messed up bad.
Once financial aid is issued, it's over.
You gotta return that cash now

Go all Phoenix Wright on their asses.

Other than that, I have no suggestions.... Why am I even in this thread?

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM