im 14 and have been playing guitar for about 4 years and i have finally decided to learn theory of making chords etc. i found this

e||-F--|-F#-|-G--|-G#-|-A--|
B||-C--|-C#-|-D--|-D#-|-E--| Note: # = sharp
G||-G#-|-A--|-A#-|-B--|-C--| b = flat
D||-D#-|-E--|-F--|-F#-|-G--|
A||-A#-|-B--|-C--|-C#-|-D--|-D#-|-E--|-F--|-F#-|-G--|-G#-|-A--|
E||-F--|-F#-|-G--|-G#-|-A--|-A#-|-B--|-C--|-C#-|-D--|-D#-|-E--|

which ofcourse shows me which string makes the chord but in the chord A your first finger goes on the D string on second fret so does that not make it an E? or is it the first string you hit like the A string? help maybe or is this just an idiotic question
what do you mean?

A major has the notes A-root, C#-3rd, E-5th
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
To make and A Chord you take the Root the third and the fith of a major scale. So we hav an A an E and an A again. To play an A chord you really only need to play those three notes. This is technically a 5th chord (also know as a power chord) but would do just as well as playing an A Major chord.

I kind of butchered that.. any more questions just ask.
Dorkus.
Quote by Shortcut
To make and A Chord you take the Root the third and the fith of a major scale. So we hav an A an E and an A again. To play an A chord you really only need to play those three notes. This is technically a 5th chord (also know as a power chord) but would do just as well as playing an A Major chord.

I kind of butchered that.. any more questions just ask.
A is the fifth of A? You're making a fifth chord, not a major chord.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read your whole post.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
A is the fifth of A? You're making a fifth chord, not a major chord.

Indeed. The C# makes it a major. You are correct sir!
Dorkus.
In order to make the chord, you first need to know the scale. e.g. if you want to make an A Major chord, you need the A Major scale (a, b, c#, d, e, f#, g#).
You then take the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of this scale (a, c#, e) with the first being the root (making it the name of the chord). It doesn't matter what order you play them (it could be a, c#, e or c#, a, e or e, a, c# etc).