So my band and I are playing around and have been for a while, and we started playing some acoustic shows lately. As we were talking to the booking lady, she said that there are no covers allowed. I thought it was just to promote original material, only to find out that there is a "raid" on places that host live music. Apparently there are people who have a database of copyright info on their laptop and they check every song that is played for lyrics or music that is under copyright protection. Should they find someone in violation of it, the venue itself is fined around $1000. Now it turns out that a lot of local venues are taking in the no cover rule to protect themselves. It seems a little ridiculous and I was wondering if anybody else had heard about this wherever they play out.
I (still, after everything) believe in Billy Corgan.
That sounds... lolworthy. The guys with the laptops must get really popular.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
yeah you need a license thing to play other peoples songs at some venues most places that host music events have these though
Sig space available, give me some praise
That is pretty riduculous, but I can see where she is coming from the business side.
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
thats the biggest load of horsecrap i've heard in a while. Its not like you would be saying..hey this is a song I wrote called "stairway to heaven" and claim it to be yours.
American Fender Strat

Taylor 314CE

Quote by pbiggie
this guy speaks truth
Quote by powerhead
Pretty soon you won't be allowed to think it.

Pretty soon you won't be able to be not able to.
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
yeah i've heard about that. cover bands have been around forever and the riaa or whoever makes the venues pay to have a lisence to play cover material. it isn't that big of a deal and some venues don't even follow it. but to have a guy on his laptop searching for the songs is just rediculous.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by MoFly41
Should they find someone in violation of it, the venue itself is fined around $1000.
Sounds like bullshit to me.

1 - There are copyright laws.
2 - Lawsuits do occur when these laws are broken.
3 - A lawsuit requires a hearing and/or trial, in court.
4 - There are no government agencies that I'm aware of who can issue a citation/fine.
5 - Any private organization would only be able to file a lawsuit, not assess a fine.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
stick it to the man and play something by Hannah Montana
Extispicy: Predicting The Future Though The Study Of Animal Entrails...
Quote by HeartRaz0r
Pretty soon you won't be able to be not able to.

Pretty soon you won't be able to think about not being able to.
Thank God I'm not a Stereotype.

Quote by ANTHRAX†
When in doubt, whip it out.

Quote by Guitar_picker36
...im a girl i dont know how to upload pictures and stuff.

Quote by joe124
Pretty soon you won't be able to think about not being able to.

Pretty soon we won't be able to write on the Pit about not being able to think about not being able to.
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
I have heard of that as well. The way I understand it is you have to say who wrote and performed the song orignally before you perform it and you can not be paid to do a cover set. Kinda stupid but that's the RIAA.
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
probably the PRS or whatever its called in the US (company that collects royalties from live performances for songwriters) found out they either didnt have a license or the have been alowing live covers without giving a percentage to them.

/seemingly useless info I lerned from college
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Does anybody know what they are talking about???

Any business that is gonna play music to help them attain money has to pay licensing fees.

This goes for bands, jukeboxes, boomboxes, pc based dj setups, etcetcetc.

I can't imagine police types to go around and trying to enforce it, but if they are, they have every right.

There are 2 licensing companies(ASCAP being one of the main ones) that businesses can pay fees, to allow them to play copyrighted music.
Quote by MAYNARD
Does anybody know what they are talking about???

Any business that is gonna play music to help them attain money has to pay licensing fees.

This goes for bands, jukeboxes, boomboxes, pc based dj setups, etcetcetc.

I can't imagine police types to go around and trying to enforce it, but if they are, they have every right.

There are 2 licensing companies(ASCAP being one of the main ones) that businesses can pay fees, to allow them to play copyrighted music.

Yeah thats what I ment when I was talkin about PRS
so its called ASCAP in the US ?
" Did You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away."

"Do they ? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."
Just fill out a PRS form, and if the venue is not registered, then its not a good venue.

Im sorry but artists need money.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by geeve420
I have heard of that as well. The way I understand it is you have to say who wrote and performed the song orignally before you perform it and you can not be paid to do a cover set. Kinda stupid but that's the RIAA.

WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's totally on the businesses to pay licensing fees. Nothing else has to be done.
Quote by saphrax
Cover Bezerker or something as heavy.

The laptop would just die on it's arse trying to decipher that.

yeah, they scream the song name/artist anyway, metal cover bands have nothing to fear
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Quote by MAYNARD
WRONGWRONGWRONGWRONGWRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's totally on the businesses to pay licensing fees. Nothing else has to be done.

...You do have to fill out a PRS form if you do a cover song...
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

Try I came blood. They'll never work it out.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
now that's just silly, unless maybe if you say "these are our songs, not covers", then you're being a douche. But my band just played in a bar last week, and we played 4 covers, and nothing happened.
It's not RIAA It's RIAGAY.

That's bullshit. To have guys on laptops just making sure the RIAA doesn't miss out on a few bucks is just wrong.

That's why you cover Buckethead and NIN. Indie FTW.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
It's not RIAA It's RIAGAY.

That's bullshit. To have guys on laptops just making sure the RIAA doesn't miss out on a few bucks is just wrong.

That's why you cover Buckethead and NIN. Indie FTW.

Please, try earning money being A musician.

Its harder than it sounds.
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by cliff_em_all
Please, try earning money being A musician.

Its harder than it sounds.

that's why you shouldn't become a musician to make money/a living off of it(or at leastdon't expect to be able to). Yes, some people can pull it off, and live moderlately comfortable lives, but most of them have jobs on the side, as for the big bands who have wealthy lives, their music usually sucks anyways.

Music is not a career, it's an art form, a hobby, a discipline.
Quote by technicolour
that's why you shouldn't become a musician to make money/a living off of it(or at least don't expect to be able to). Yes, some people can pull it off, and live moderlately comfortable lives, but most of them have jobs on the side, as for the big bands who have wealthy lives, their music usually sucks anyways.

Exactly.

cliff_em_all: Granted, artists deserve money for their hard work, but to go overboard and fine a club just because someone wants to cover a song, that's wrong.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by imthehitcher
USA= f*cked up place

No.. no.. believe me, it's a pretty great place..
A lot of laws are being passed (or attempted) that are just crap.

For instance, isohunt.com were ordered to hand out IPs of users. Isohunt essentially said no and counter-sued them. Guess who won? Isohunt, w00t.

Greed gets the better of people and it'll pass.
Quote by technicolour
that's why you shouldn't become a musician to make money/a living off of it(or at leastdon't expect to be able to). Yes, some people can pull it off, and live moderlately comfortable lives, but most of them have jobs on the side, as for the big bands who have wealthy lives, their music usually sucks anyways.

No. Just... no.
that's stupid, it's the damn venues fault for not paying ASCAP fees, they aren't that much.
Quote by cliff_em_all
...You do have to fill out a PRS form if you do a cover song...

ASCAP (US equivalent of PRS) doesn't require the artist to do that unless the cover is recorded and released, the venue just has to pay fees.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Oct 7, 2008,