Hi guys.

I still haven't gotten rid of all the harshness from my 6505. I've heard that retubing it with just the right kind of tubes can do wonders. Right now it's completely stock, and I've had it for year, playing it for at least 1,5 hours every day, so I guess it's time for new preamp tubes soon anyways.

I just want a smoother, fuller and more saturated tone. Yes, I know words will never explain my needs, but you guys who have owned or do own a 6505 know what I'm talking about. Should I change my poweramp tubes too, or do they not really affect the sound that much? I need more knowledge.

And I don't want suggestions like "new amp", "new cab", "new guitar n00b" and so on. I've been through many cabinets and guitars, and I still want to give my 6505 a chance with a retube.

Suggestions?
I had one but returned it cuz you had to crank it up way too loud for me to get a good thick saturated tone.

What volume do you play it at?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
I would check out www.eurotubes.com I use them and a I know several "High Gain" artists use them. They really have some nice tubes but are kind of pricey. They even have a specific "Re-Tube Kit" for the 6505 with high gain or low gain options available. Definately give them a look.

Eurotubes is the name of a retailer that sells imported European tubes in America. The brand of tubes is JJ tubes.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Last edited by H_ngm_n at Oct 7, 2008,
JJ tubes are solid in the 5150/6505......a huge part of the harshness is that the 5150/6505 is biased too cold in the power tubes. Without bias modding it, the only thing that can help is to get properly graded tubes to pull the bias up a bit. Email Bob at Eurotubes, as he knows a lot about the 5150s and can easily point you in the right direction

A Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 and V2 helps.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by H_ngm_n
They really have some nice tubes but are kind of pricey.

I don't see where people are coming from with this, JJs are some of the cheapest tubes (pricewise) around.

TS, do you have the combo or head?

I've heard a lot of guys that really love what KT-66s do to their 5150, but you're going to need the bias mod on it or the tubes are going to biased way too cold for KT-66s. Also, I don't think they fit in the combo, though I could be wrong.

When I had my 5150, I put a full set of High-Gain JJs in it. It made it sound quite a bit better, but dialing in a good tone was harder. If you want to stick with the stock configuration, I'd email Doug at dougstubes.com and see what he'd suggest. He sells many different brands of tubes and isn't biased like Eurotubes would be, since they only sell one brand of tube.

I really like SED =C= 6L6s in the preamp and a Tung-Sol, Shuguang, Penta and JJ preamps to mix.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by kayman121
I had one but returned it cuz you had to crank it up way too loud for me to get a good thick saturated tone.

What volume do you play it at?

At home I can put it to about 2-3 without neighbours complaining, and thats only when my parents are out. When they're home, I can play at about 0,5, sooo...

Something just struck my mind. I really have to get that friend of mine over to my place and bring his hotplate. Maybe an attenuator is really the solution here? After all it sounds quite a bit better at insane volumes.

edit: Matrixclow: I have the head.
I just retubed mine with a full set of JJ's from Eurotubes. All my tubes were stock before that too and now it's opened up the tone a lot. It sounds a lot fuller and much smoother. I got the hi-gain set and they've made me really happy.
Are you playing in a band? Do you use the amp while jamming with a drummer or another guitar player.

If you're just sitting at home dissecting and scrutinizing the amps tone it's easy to pick out every little thing that bugs you.

It's a whole new ball game when your playing with other people. That "harsh" sound you hear is often very much needed, and less apparent in the mix.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Bloodshed
JJ tubes are solid in the 5150/6505......a huge part of the harshness is that the 5150/6505 is biased too cold in the power tubes. Without bias modding it, the only thing that can help is to get properly graded tubes to pull the bias up a bit. Email Bob at Eurotubes, as he knows a lot about the 5150s and can easily point you in the right direction

A Tung Sol 12AX7 in V1 and V2 helps.

+1
/thread
High gain Peavey amps like a JJ ECC83S in the V1 preamp spot. These tubes are low noise and very musical sounding. They are a bit dark sounding, so work well at smoothing out the raspy, somewhat bright tone of these amps.

The Tungsol 12AX7 I tried sounded dull and introduced a substantial amount of noise to my signal.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't see where people are coming from with this, JJs are some of the cheapest tubes (pricewise) around.

TS, do you have the combo or head?

I've heard a lot of guys that really love what KT-66s do to their 5150, but you're going to need the bias mod on it or the tubes are going to biased way too cold for KT-66s. Also, I don't think they fit in the combo, though I could be wrong.

When I had my 5150, I put a full set of High-Gain JJs in it. It made it sound quite a bit better, but dialing in a good tone was harder. If you want to stick with the stock configuration, I'd email Doug at dougstubes.com and see what he'd suggest. He sells many different brands of tubes and isn't biased like Eurotubes would be, since they only sell one brand of tube.

I really like SED =C= 6L6s in the poweramp and a Tung-Sol, Shuguang, Penta and JJ preamps to mix.

Fixed

Also I thought that KT66s were to be biased colder than a standard 6L6, meaning they would be closer to their operating range on a 5150/6505.....maybe I'm wrong, idk

Also Doug tends to recommend a very odd preamp tube setup in pretty much every high gainer, and his shipping REALLY sucks. You could email him about it, but I would order elsewhere
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Fixed

That's what I get for typing too fast!

Quote by Bloodshed
Also I thought that KT66s were to be biased colder than a standard 6L6, meaning they would be closer to their operating range on a 5150/6505.....maybe I'm wrong, idk

Honestly, I have no idea hahaha. You could be right, but I'm fairly sure KT-77s run hotter than EL-34s? So I'm just figuring KT-66s would run hotter than 6L6s too I've never kept an amp long enough to have to bias it, or it was just a plug and play amp with the tubes, lmao.

Quote by Bloodshed
Also Doug tends to recommend a very odd preamp tube setup in pretty much every high gainer, and his shipping REALLY sucks. You could email him about it, but I would order elsewhere

I've ordered tubes from him many times and I've never had any problems at all with his shipping. They're always packed great and they get to me extremely fast.

Also, I don't see how his preamp suggestions are odd? He recommends putting a mixed set in your amp so you're not stuck with one sound, you're able to switch tubes around in different positions to get something that would otherwise be impossible with one or two brands of tubes. Makes sense to me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Dores
At home I can put it to about 2-3 without neighbours complaining, and thats only when my parents are out. When they're home, I can play at about 0,5, sooo...

Something just struck my mind. I really have to get that friend of mine over to my place and bring his hotplate. Maybe an attenuator is really the solution here? After all it sounds quite a bit better at insane volumes.

edit: Matrixclow: I have the head.

Yeah attenuators are the shit as long as you do not over-attenuate and color the tone
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups