I made a thread a week ago asking about new guitars.. i play rock, classical rock, reggae, jazz, funk and such... so the general replies were to get a fender strat.. i played the strat and loved it (MIM) but i played a yamaha pacificas too, and i found a used one for 150 (CAD) and when i played the pacifica, i liked it too, didn't see huge difference in feel and sound but i'm still a beginner...

When i buy this guitar i want it to last at least 2-3 years without me needing it to upgrade it at all.. So what do you guys think of pacificas? Also people had told me to get HSS but fender doesn't make the lefty strats with HSS yet, so i would have to get SSS pickups.. but this one is a HSS too... here are the pictures of the guitar:

edit: i'm getting roland cube 20x with this guitar just in case you guys know... (170 bucks, which i thought was a good price)

Last edited by wonderboy87 at Oct 7, 2008,
Can't really go wrong with them, great guitars for the price. If you get bored of the tone a pick-up change will sort it.
lol the craigslist ad for this guitar just dissapeared.. i think it's sold.. anyways they are selling it for 199 at store.. so i still need some thoughts on this guitar
Quote by JackalUK
Can't really go wrong with them, great guitars for the price. If you get bored of the tone a pick-up change will sort it.

yea how are the pickups that are in it right now? (i don't have much technical knowledge
I bought a Pacifica 112 for my first guitar two years ago -- it is an ideal starter guitar. I only upgraded to another guitar (Ibanez S470qxdm) last week. I still haven't decided whether I should keep it or sell it (if you live in the Vancouver area and would like to try it out or make me an offer, send me a PM).

I think they play very well, especially for the price. The bridge humbucker is medium-output, so you'll be able to get some good clean tones as well as good OD tones out of it. The single coils are decent vintage low-output ones. Depending on the amp, they have great bell-like cleans. Since they are SCs, they do hum and are quieter when both the mid and neck pu are used at the same time. I usually used the bridge for distorted sounds, the neck + mid for distorted leads, and the neck by itself for cleans.

I thought the vintage whammy was okay. If you wrap your strings with care, and maintain the whammy well, it will stay in tune fairly well. Anything more than moderate whammy use will throw it out of tune, though.

I think the Pacifica 112 has a really nice neck: not quite as thin as the Ibanez Wizard necks, but still great for playing lead. The 40mm nut can be a little cramped in comparison with a wider 43mm nut that is popular on shredder guitars, but this is no different from other strats.

The solid alder body will accentuate the mids and upper mids. I found that this would occaisionally yield a mid-range, nasal "honk" sound, but could be fixed with some eq work. I could play old school metal on it (Judas Priest, Sabbath, Iron Maiden), but found that the tone beefed up nicely when I used an eq pedal to boost the mids in front of the amp, and then dialed out the mids after distortion with my amp's contour control.

In conclusion, I think the Pacifica 112 + Cube amp are an ideal start-up combo -- IMHO you are on the right track!

Happy guitar hunting!
hey thanks for all the info steve... that was really good info on the guitar

i'm not really looker for a starter guitar since the guitar i have is "starter" so i really wanna upgrade to something that is considered "good" rather than "starter"

so i dunno.. i have the budget to purchase the fender strat MIM unless there is a huge difference between those two, i wouldn't mind purchasing a pacifica
IMO the MIM strats and Pacificas are similar in quality, but make sure you play a few models of each so you can make up your own mind =^)

I think Pacificas are definitely "good for the money" and are way better than most lower-end guitars. But I would hesitate before calling them mid-range guitars -- they can compete with the lower end of the mid-range, but if you are willing to spend upwards of $500, you can probably do better.
yea well 400-500 is my budget... so i could go for the MIM... i played both of them, other than maybe the body of the pacifica is a bit thicker... I dunno
Oh man that tremolo block is tiny, probably part of the reason he blocked it. Do you want to be able to use the tremolo at all? The pacifica might have better pickups than the mim strat, although I'm not completely sure. Both are similar in terms of quality, the mim looks to have slightly better hardware.

I have a question to those more electronically inclined. Isn't the ground wire to the claw now pointless since its not connected to the strings?

What guitar do you have already?
Quote by hiphopopotamus
Oh man that tremolo block is tiny, probably part of the reason he blocked it. Do you want to be able to use the tremolo at all? The pacifica might have better pickups than the mim strat, although I'm not completely sure. Both are similar in terms of quality, the mim looks to have slightly better hardware.

I have a question to those more electronically inclined. Isn't the ground wire to the claw now pointless since its not connected to the strings?

What guitar do you have already?

i dunno, if the tremolo was there i would use it, but it's allright if it's not there...

anyways i don't have to do anything to this guitar once i buy it right?

the guitar i have is some no name strat knock off.. it's really bad...
i'm prolly gonna go for this guitar...

what do you guys think of the amp i'm gonna buy (micro 20x)
Kay, its prolly a step up if you dig on the feel and sound of the pacifica. The Cube is nice, great practice amps. Good choice.

If I were you I would put a spring or two to connect the ground wire to the strings again, or move the wire to the bridge directly if you don't plan on ever unblocking the tremolo. I'm not %100 sure that this is a problem, but I think the whole point of the ground wire to the claw is for the strings.
Pacifica great guitar, no question. My 112v is the exact same colour as that one in the pics.
I'm sure it's pretty straight forward to throw a couple of springs in there. I've never done it so I don't know, but it seems easy enough.

Also, bear in mind that the humbucker pup can also act as a single coil. Just pull out the lower knobb and it's a single coil. Think it's called "coil tapping".
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
112 Pacificas are great starter guitars. Get the newer 112V (not 112J or 112L) if you can because you get the coil split and the pickups themselves are a little better. They're also quite easy to customise because they are very similar in size/shape to a strat.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet