Hey Guitarheroes!

So I'm kind of new to electric guitars and amps but last month I bought myself a guitar and a amp(Vintage Les Paul, Roland Micro Cube). Really amazed by the sound that little amp puts out, however, off to the topic.

So I was gladly planning to play some guitar when I got back from school yesterday, plugged everything in, sat in the perfect spot on the bed with the guitar in my hands and strumms, then there's just no sound. So I check tone/volume/gain all stuff on the amp then checks all the knobs on the guitar but they're set to normal. But there was no soundd... Although when I'm jacking out the cord and puts it in with the amp on(never does it originally) I can hear the "sparkling" sound, you know for just a second. But when it's plugged in there's no sound.

And something mysterious I found out about. If i like "knock" a bit on the back of the amp I can hear that from the speaker, I tried with different effects like tremolo and delay and the knocks sound "effected", I hope you understand. It's very weird.

Anyway, can the guitar be the problem maybe? I mean, I haven't even touched the guitar since I last used it, and there is absolutely no damages and I have never bounced it into the wall or something...

Anyone have any suggestions about what might cause this? I hope I made myself clear and if there is something you don't understand please just ask me about it

Thank you for your help! And remember, I'm sort of a beginner.
DT
bad pot?

bad cord?

bad wiring from the pickups to the pots?
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
can you try a different guitar in your amp?
can you try your guitar in a different amp?

sounds like a loose insert jack on amp.

I can't try it n another amp or with another guitar as I'm the only musician in the house and I really got no friends interested in guitarring either.

And for the 2'nd answer. How do I check this? I don't really know what to do here ;-P
when you turn the knobs n your guitar does it make a scraching noise?

for the cord you can unscrew the ends and see if the solder joint is bad.

for the pickup thing You would have to take the pickups out but I doubt thats it
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I'm thinking his cord/lead/cable between the guitar and amp. Try givin it a jiggle, see if it effects the sound and maybe cut in and out. (It's fun if you do this with the amp at higher volume because when it works it will be loud and scare the shorts off you, JK don't crank it).

Certainly could be a jack but cubes are pretty reliable.
^Bostonrocks is onto the guitar is the end of it, check his thoughts out fully.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I'm thinking his cord/lead/cable between the guitar and amp. Try givin it a jiggle, see if it effects the sound and maybe cut in and out. (It's fun if you do this with the amp at higher volume because when it works it will be loud and scare the shorts off you, JK don't crank it).

Certainly could be a jack but cubes are pretty reliable.
^Bostonrocks is onto the guitar is the end of it, check his thoughts out fully.

I did that like the first couple weeks after I started playing the cord went bad and i was like what the heck. and my cube was like REALLY loud (I had to get over my drummer) so I jiggled it a bit and it popped it was so loud it was pretty greay
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I did some experimenting like unshewing the ends of the cords and like tried to them, it's really hard to explain what I did, even in my home language but I'll give it a try. I tried to like strengthen the ends as if they were loose or something, and when I tried to put it in again, then it sounded like there was a gnome or something inside the amp(like when mum walks around in the kitchen or something) for a while, then I had a little contact with the amp and managed pull off one chord, but then it died again.

weeeirdo... any suggestions?
umm I'm sorry (really I am) but I didn't understand ANY of that
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
No problem, I don't blame you. Anyway, I seem to have solved the problem. It's the cord. It's a bit loose it seems, It doesn't reach all the way in the amp... But when I grab the cord and like... presses it into the amp, the sounds works good. So that's it. Although I don't know if the amp jack might have been damaged, as if it has been knocked out of position... Ooooor it just might be the cord ;-)

Thanks for your help!
Still could be anything mentioned, loose/failing connection on input jack of amp, output jack on guitar or cord/lead/cable. The test you did won't really answer which.

Edit: ah it's fixed, good.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
np go buy a new cord they're only like 15 bucks
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era